Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 11:54 PM   #1

Washer/dryer? Needed, really?

For those that travel through the States a lot, are you able to find laundromats readily, or do you go days on end wearing the same clothes? My Main is now insisting on a W/D because "laundromats are hard to find Outside". (They are pretty common here in AK, so we don't have a real issue w/ that.) What are you folks experiencing? It would sure make a lot more coaches available from which to choose if we do not "need" a W/D. Pls advise. I don't get Outside much. Thanks. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 01:38 AM   #2

Get the W/D. We have a vented Splendide and use it for a hamper until wash day. The reason I say this is that I had my dress shirts ruined because someone washed their mechanics rags before me at the laundry. All my shirts had dark oil spots. Another time I pulled my clothes out of their dryer and they were covered with sand and smelled like suntan lotion. Someone dried their beach stuff before going home.

Get the W/D. Remember it takes longer to dry because it operates at 120 volts. However, we start the W/D and after a few glasses of wine the clothes are done.

Go with Microfiber sheets. We wash the king sheets and pillowcases in one load.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:39 AM   #3

I've never had a problem finding a laundromat. It's not that time consuming overall and it seems like there's always a list for the store so it's a chance to take care of that also.

And I get out, RVs aren't huge and don't change. I like it, but I have it to see what's out there. It's a couple of hours a week to meet local people, maybe find or hear about an interesting place to visit or something to do.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:42 AM   #4

I have one never used it. Actually use it for shoe storage.
If I didn't have a built in hamper I would probably use it for that.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Washer/dryer? Needed, really?
Yes.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:43 AM   #6

We never thought a washer dryer was worth having... till we had one. We were not full timers, but even just having a W/D for drying towels and bathing suits was great. It came with the Discovery 40G we had and it was a real convenience.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:46 AM   #7

I've never had trouble finding a laundromat anywhere I've traveled in the 30 years I've had RVs. Having a W/D would be more convenient certainly, but isn't required.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:59 AM   #8

One year full timing - we do not have a w/d in the rig.
We are plumbed/wired for stackable w/d and before buying a set decided to give ourselves some time to decide.
At this point in time we would rather have the storage area than have the w/d.
As was mentioned above and as you probably already know, when using a laundromat you never know what was done in a machine immediately before you. We ALWAYS inspect, wipe down and run an empty load with soap and a little white vinegar before we wash. Dryer is inspected, smelled and wiped out.
Extra work using a laundromat but when there are multiple machines the wash time goes quickly.
Many/most campgrounds have laundry facilities but the size and condition will vary.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We use ours all the time.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
We use ours all the time.

Same here,

My wife insists on doing smaller loads, i don't I pretty much fill it up and it does a good job. Off on I've lived full time in our rig and depended on it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:54 AM   #11
Community Moderator

We are full time and use ours all the time.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:59 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
My policy is if something will make the wife happy, how I feel about it doesn’t mean a thing. Get the W/D.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:11 AM   #13

W/D was a requirement when we ordered our RV. So convenient not to have to make a special trip, sit for an hour or two, and then haul laundry back to RV. Instead of using the hamper we just throw our dirty clothes in the washer, then when we get a full load run the washer.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:37 AM   #14

We have washer and dryer, wife has done laundry mat thing but really likes to wash “at home”. Much more convenient than lugging, and who knows what was in that machine before you.
WeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote