Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2021, 07:23 PM   #113

Are the combo/unvented ones heat pump driers? Ironic thread to stumble upon as I am now in hour 5 of trying to dry 2 towels in a heap of junk "green" heat pump drier that came with this condo.
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2021, 07:36 PM   #114

Need for washer and dryer dependent on routine,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
For those that travel through the States a lot, are you able to find laundromats readily, or do you go days on end wearing the same clothes? My Main is now insisting on a W/D because "laundromats are hard to find Outside". (They are pretty common here in AK, so we don't have a real issue w/ that.) What are you folks experiencing? It would sure make a lot more coaches available from which to choose if we do not "need" a W/D. Pls advise. I don't get Outside much. Thanks. j

I use my motor home when deploying on temp jobs. I do not wish to get exposed to COVID as testing positive would end my short term job. I avoid indoor public exposure. I work 12 hour shifts during my jobs. I used my Splendide all in one Washer dryer in my old rig, or my wife did if she was there. My current rig has a separate washing Machine and dryer and I or my wife use them while I'm at work. Many times I would rather not use the public laundromats as they are in bad looking neighborhoods and some are pretty dirty. If there is a nice laundry available, minimal disease risk and I have time, I would use it to save "wear and tear" on my rig. These days it is a risk I won't take.
Dave the mnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Lee View Post
Are the combo/unvented ones heat pump driers? Ironic thread to stumble upon as I am now in hour 5 of trying to dry 2 towels in a heap of junk "green" heat pump drier that came with this condo.
No, they are "condensing" dryers. With one of the non-vented units, the hot wet air is condensed by passing over cooled (with cold water) coils, this only works if it isn't 60+ percent humidity in the region you are. If you are in the Southeast.... Forget it, get vented.

The vented combo unit (what I have) is great, set it for the clothing settings and 80 minutes dry time b/c it is still just a 1500 watt heater, and about 3 hours after you start it, you can fold the stuff and put it away. It handles everything else while you do more interesting things like watch sports on TV.

The only things I can't wash in it are full size duvet comforters, so try to encourage the cat to vomit on the floor rather than the bed.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #116

jklingel; No a washer/dryer is not needed, the convenience factor is what most people consider. It's convenient to start a load, go to bed, get up and the load is ready to fold and put away. same thing for going out for dinner, groceries, etc.
My DW instantly decided we should buy a Splendide combo unit while we were in a laundromat. She opened the washer and a huge spider crawled out onto her hand. Finding sand in the washer didn't help the situation.

Quote:
Splendide unvented 7100 models dry clothes by spraying cold water on the exterior of the drum while the clothes are tumbling; this is drying by condensation.
The clothes will feel damp after the dry cycle is complete. This requires clothes be hung up or spread out on the bed until they feel dry. The operating instruction manual explains better than I.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #117

When we bought our Raptor in 2017, we had them install the washer and dryer from Splendide. We're full timers and haven't moved our Raptor since the day they delivered it.
The wife and I feel it was one of the better decisions we made. We like being able to do laundry whenever we want and not having to leave the house to do so. I recommend it to others.
We don't have the combo. One washer and one dryer stacked.

-Mike
mj5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:00 PM   #118

washer/dryer

Hard to beat in very cold weather - stay inside! Likewise in rainy weather - no toting laundry to coin-op through the mud & convenient when damp clothes need drying rather than mildew
Lewis Hasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #119

No quarters needed

Have 'em, DW loves 'em. Never have to worry about who washed what previously.
GrumpyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:33 PM   #120

Tiffin Owners Club
Added Splendide washer and dryer in our latest RV. My wife loves it. It allows us to take fewer clothes on our trips. My wife also likes coming home with clean clothes and not having to deal with several bags of dirty clothes.

Regards, Jerry
Old 10-03-2021, 09:08 PM   #121

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Washer/Dryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
For those that travel through the States a lot, are you able to find laundromats readily, or do you go days on end wearing the same clothes? My Main is now insisting on a W/D because "laundromats are hard to find Outside". (They are pretty common here in AK, so we don't have a real issue w/ that.) What are you folks experiencing? It would sure make a lot more coaches available from which to choose if we do not "need" a W/D. Pls advise. I don't get Outside much. Thanks. j
Would NOT have an RV without a washer/dryer. We DO NOT DO LAUNDROMATS!
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:11 PM   #122

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Washer/Dryer

Quote:

Definitely need vented!
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:22 PM   #123

We use ours all the time. Do you "need" it? No, if you can find and coordinate visits to the laundromats. We prefer to do laundry on our own schedule, start loads in the morning when we leave for activities, then things are done when we get back. It's been a huge convenience for us.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:18 PM   #124

Spartan Chassis
To - JKLINGUL: Yes. We've been RVers for 45+ years and when we first started, it wasn't even an option. When you stay in private campgrounds, many have a laundromats, usually by the bathrooms or office. There is a two fold issue with them, 1 there usually only 2-4 machines so whoever gets there first gets their Landry done, everyone else waits. 2. We found them expensive compared to ones elsewhere. The issue with other places can be hot, dirty, and crowded. Can't tell you how many washers we wiped grease and stuff out of. Our current 45 ft DP has a stackable washer and 220v dryer and we will never be without them again.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:40 PM   #125

More good experiences shared. I see both sides, but I prefer the "in my own time and place" routine. I have emailed the salesman who handled our FR3 sale about vented or unvented. I hope it is vented, because we ordered a coach with W/D and I did not know there were options. FR may just install one type; take it or leave it. Again, I was instructed to get one. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:24 PM   #126

Washer/dryer are a must have for my situation. I use the RV for work travel and frequently pull 12 hour shifts. Finding a laundromat while I still have to whip up some dinner and wrap up leftover paperwork is not fun. I throw in a load of clothes while cooking dinner and taking care of other stuff. Makes the RV work life much easier.
Eric R is offline   Reply With Quote