Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
What a good neighbor. Too bad someone couldn't help this guy.

It would be really nice if you could cut down the video to the pertinent part so one does not have to look through and download the entire 7minutes. Limited band width here.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #16

Even checklists can be used incorrectly. Many years ago, a 727 was being flown empty of passengers to run a charter flight. As the crew went through the checklist, they got a radio call from the airport tower. After replying, they continued, but missed one item, checking that the heater for the airspeed indicator's pitot tube had been turned on. That's the forward facing tube on the outside of the airplane that provides the signal to the instrument.

They took off and started the climb to their cruise altitude. The crew commented several times on how well the airplane climbed without passengers. It stalled out at altitude and crashed, killing the three crew members. The airspeed indicator was giving a false reading because of the frozen pitot tube.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #17

I was enjoying the commentary in that video until I saw the motor home in question...

It looks alarmingly like my southwind. It is about the same size, and has the same coloring, and is of a similar year.

Luckily we differ just a bit. I own no red pickup. (although I suggest he no longer does either) and the rear is a bit different, as his generator is not in the rear corner as mine is...

So, I may somewhat look like the topic of the video, but I hope the similarities end there.

Also, I am good with both the checklist and the walk around. I did both on the plane (I too am a pilot) and do it on the MH as well. My family knows that I never go anywhere with a rig or a tow, where I do not stop either a mile from the house, or even just several hundred yards down the road to stop and do a final walk-around. It is so common now, they no longer ask when I stop and do that walk around before I get on an interstate, or as we leave the camp road and are about to get on the black-top...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #18

I always do a walk-around before I start out and another one a mile or two down road to re-check the wheel hold down straps on the tow dolly. In addition, every time I pull over and stop, for any reason, I do a walk-around before getting back on. Ever since I almost lost a wheel on my tow dolly from bearing failure (and I’d done a walk-around 35 miles earlier, fortunately I’d drank a lot of early morning coffee and had to stop again) now when I do my walk around I shoot the bearings with an infrared thermometer, usually right when I stop. It only takes seconds and you know if you have a failing bearing or not.

Steve

PS I realize that a walk-around may not catch something on the roof like an antenna (which I don’t have) so I guess a pre-journey check-list is still a really good idea.
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #19

Thanks for being a good neighbor - all three of walk our coach and still miss things so I'm glad you are out there.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
This morning, while sitting in a New Mexico RV park having my morning coffee, I watched fellow RV’ers head out on another day’s journey. Without intervention some of them might not have a great day.

A neighbor, two sites down from us, pulled out my DW noticed his satellite dish was still up. I quickly got up and a quick blast of the air horn got his attention. He glanced out the window to see me step out into the 19 degree morning chill in my house coat pointing up at his roof. He came to a stop and a minute or two later his dish was on its way down into its correct travel position.

Warming back up, not 10 minutes later, another coach pulled down the driveway with his TV antenna still reaching into the sky. Once again it was a blast of the air horn and a chilly trip out into the cold in my housecoat waving an arm and pointing to his roof. A minute or so later his antenna began to tilt down onto his roof, ready to travel safely.

Still reluctant to get properly dressed for the cold, I continued to watch other coaches depart and thought I’d post this as a reminder for each of us to watch out for fellow RV’ers and travel their preparedness as they leave the campground.
Ron, you're a good fellow to have around!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #21

Great reminder ... thanks for posting up
I have missed things during our pre-departure walk around ... even with the check list, which is on Jackie's phone and she won't let me even push the e-brake with out going over it ........
We have also had the opportunity to flag down a couple of rigs for the same reason ...
Yeah ... we must take care of each other ......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #22

Ron - Yep, hope you're around when I make my next mistake!!! (Just got the front lower chin of the coach repaired from my missing, as in seeing, a post in an RV Park up at Seward, AK. First trip out after this repair, I backed into a site and took out a fold our umbrella like close line... Insult to injury on this one, my DW was back and waving me off! I had walked the site first, and all was going well, but at the crucial moment the sun reflected in the mirror I was using to watch the DW. Should have stopped then, but I good see her arms waving - and took it as 'waving me back in.... My bad not her. So, now have a few more 'character scratches on the back of the coach!)

On our dish/antenna up, yep, we hang keys on the crank handle. We did the Tucson Missile Museum, and bought a red flag keychain holder that says 'Ready For Flight' - that hangs down well, and with the keys to the ignition - not moving!

And I'll second the 'Yes please, let me know when you see something!'. And I too, look over others as they are heading out, and have and will continue to speak out if I see something not looking right...

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I pulled out of one site to move two sites away when an older than me looking man came running up from two rows over in high temperatures to let me know the antenna was still up, I don't leave it up even for the shortest of movements now, I'd hate to see something happen to someone because I felt it was OK to leave it up
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
My mind is like a steel trap. I don't need no check list...........
Your picture made my day!
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:44 PM   #25

That guy in the video pulling the red truck needs to hang up the keys omg.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:49 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
it looks like in the picture of the red truck pulling the trailer, the sewer hose was stored in the bumper and the end cap to the bumper fell off.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #27

Good job watching out for fixtures not stored for travel. How many people put a bag of trash on their vehicle and forget to stop at the dumpster?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Dum de dum dum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windingroads.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	118565  
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote