Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Watch those batteries!!!!

We keep our coach plugged into 30A service when at home. I have tried to check the batteries occasionally and top them off with distilled water. Well, occasionally wasn't good enough! Yesterday I checked and I couldn't see any water at all! It took 2 1/2 gallons to fill them!

From this point forward I will be checking them when I do the monthly 30-minuted exercise drive!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #2

If your charger is boiling the batteries dry it is either old and will not regulate to low enough amperage or the built in regulator is bad.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need one of these. Or two if you have more than 2 batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-MP2...omotive&sr=1-1
The squeeze bulb pump is extra for some odd reason, but necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2.../dp/B001FC79EW

I have one on my coach because the batteries are a pain to get to. Hook up the squeeze pump to the connection, place the other end in the jug of distilled water, squeeze bulb til resistance is felt. No mess, no worries about overfilling.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
You need one of these. Or two if you have more than 2 batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-MP2...omotive&sr=1-1
The squeeze bulb pump is extra for some odd reason, but necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2.../dp/B001FC79EW

I have one on my coach because the batteries are a pain to get to. Hook up the squeeze pump to the connection, place the other end in the jug of distilled water, squeeze bulb til resistance is felt. No mess, no worries about overfilling.
Thanks Burns, but my batteries are on a roll-out tray so I can get to each one easily with the hand-held auto filler jug that I got from Auto Zone.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
If your charger is boiling the batteries dry it is either old and will not regulate to low enough amperage or the built in regulator is bad.
I'm sure it's the one that came in the 2002 MH so yes, it's old!
Old 09-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #6

I thought a good 3 stage charger would not allow boiling, is your charger working correctly?
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #7

Defective charger?

You may have a defective charger as suggested above. It could also be an issue with one or more batteries.

Either way, you can check by monitoring the voltage on the batteries. With the charger on for a long time (14 to 18 hours) the best voltage to see would be 13.2 volts. This is best for long term battery maintenance.

13.6 would be good for normal fully charged in use situations. 14.4 would be bad for lead acid batteries. That is bad for more than a few hours. 14.4 is ok for a few hours after significant discharge. The charger should automatically drop back to 13.6 after a few hours of charging.

Since your water levels were extremely low, you may benefit from a "conditioning" cycle. High voltage is applied for a short period. This stirs the acid into the distilled water and removes any sulfate crystals from the plates.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I see new batteries in your future at the next cold snap :(
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I see new batteries in your future at the next cold snap :(

I agree. If the plates were exposed, the batteries are probably damaged, and need replacing.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I agree. If the plates were exposed, the batteries are probably damaged, and need replacing.
I guess I've got tough batteries and I'm really lucky. This happened a few months ago and I filled them up with no obvious damage!
Old 09-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
You may have a defective charger as suggested above. It could also be an issue with one or more batteries.

Either way, you can check by monitoring the voltage on the batteries. With the charger on for a long time (14 to 18 hours) the best voltage to see would be 13.2 volts. This is best for long term battery maintenance.

13.6 would be good for normal fully charged in use situations. 14.4 would be bad for lead acid batteries. That is bad for more than a few hours. 14.4 is ok for a few hours after significant discharge. The charger should automatically drop back to 13.6 after a few hours of charging.

Since your water levels were extremely low, you may benefit from a "conditioning" cycle. High voltage is applied for a short period. This stirs the acid into the distilled water and removes any sulfate crystals from the plates.
I have a solar panel on the roof with a controller inside. It shows the charge rate and the voltage on each set of batteries. They normally stay between 13.2 and 13.5 VDC.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I guess I've got tough batteries and I'm really lucky. This happened a few months ago and I filled them up with no obvious damage!
I disagree there may not be any visible damage and you might be able to get them to work in mild weather but! Once the plates are exposed to air, they begin to deteriorate through a process called sulfation. The battery will hold less of a charge and will not fully recharge each time you charge the battery. I would place a multimeter on the batteries to read what the voltage is upon starting and when the alternator is charging the batteries. You may not be receive a complete charge and when you need the batteries at the most inconvenient time they will die!
Old 09-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Joe & Annette,
I will have to see how mine works once I get it at the end of the month. The Solar setup on there does charge at up to 19 amps.
Good luck with your batteries and hope the charger checks out.

Terry & Pat
96Bounder1st is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #14

I concur with the others. Get a good multi-stage charger.

Remember, the prime important number is voltage. Higher for first stage, lower for second, and the final (float/storage) stage should only be about 13.2v for lead acid flooded batteries.

Amps? Only makes a difference in how fast the batteries can be charged. My Trojans have a recommendation of charging at 10% of maximum capacity. For my 780 Ah battery bank that means a 70-amp charger.

But, your batteries will only take in the amps they need. The charger won't 'push' amps to the batteries above what they need in the moment. Volts, on the other hand, can do serious damage to the battery if they are too high.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries