Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 02:45 PM   #57

Thank you. Bismark once said "A fool is a person who learns from his own mistakes. I prefer not to be a fool, and learn from the mistakes of others." Not advice I have always followed. But good advice none the less. My rule has been to check my list and then have my wife check that I did not miss a step. I tend to wear a baseball cap and often fail to see hazards overhead. Thankfully, she does not wear a cap.
W6LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 02:50 PM   #58

Being new at something, been there and done it. The worst part is I sometimes do "new" again and when I do it I make sure as many people are around as possible to watch.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:53 PM   #59

Boat launches are the best
daryl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:54 PM   #60

And I wonder how overloaded those axles were!?
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:58 PM   #61

Bat Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Dude View Post
Pulled into our recent stop in Santa Barbara CA RV park a day ago.

Our slot was a back-in and next to us was a small very new and shiny View class C.

I noted the drivers side had the 3 basement doors missing and at first assumed a break in. On a closer look saw major damage to the under carriage with about an 8"-10" dent that pushed up the underneath. All hinges and latches were still hanging loose where the basement doors would have been.

Looks like driver or something else hit impacted and caused the damage. No clue why. Very young woman driving and did not talk to her.

After we were parked, leveled and hooked up I noted she was about to pull out.

She started her new rig and as she began driving forward I heard a big "POP".

She stopped and apparently had forgotten to disconnect shore power. So plug and cable snapped out of power box and was extended full length behind her rig. She rolled it up and stowed it hopefully not damaged and proceeded to exit the RV park.

Good luck young woman, and safe travels.

I ALWAYS, Always, well usually , run through my check-list before pulling out. Opps last time I did not do that I forgot the external temperature sensor which hangs on the windscreen wiper arm.

Knowledge is gained by reading books and taking classes. Experience comes by learning about our mistakes.

Cheers all,

Bat Dude
Not being critical of what you saw and said, but next time maybe I suggest being helpful
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:59 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Some people(me), even if experienced, get easily distracted and nervous if being watched and can forget stuff. I always hated launching a boat with an audience. I could do it perfectly when no body was around.
A few years ago as I was about to back a 5th wheel into a moderately difficult site, the folks in the next site quickly brought their lawn chairs around, sat down and watched. As soon as I was successfully parked, they took their chairs back to the other side. I'm sorry I disappointed them; I didn't hit anything.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
How else do you use a swivel stick to flush out your black tank? The only true way I've found to 100% clean the black tank sensors is with a swivel stick. Chemicals are OK, but not 100%. Using the built in tank flush is OK, but, again, not 100%.

Please enlighten me!
MEC57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #64
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Another argument for always renting out your RV...

Lots of new folks out there these days. An odd thing we noted this year was the number of people at dump stations running a hose in their window to "flush out" the black tank. Is there a meme or something telling new RVers to do this?

I rinse my tank out a couple times a year with a hose and spinning attachment down the toilet.

I don't do it if there is a line and use a separate hose from the fresh water hose.

What’s wrong with that?
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:11 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
He got off easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR View Post
As a young (many years ago) couple, money was always tight, so family outings often were just picnics at a local state park. We always tried to get the table next to the boat launch and watched the frustration of people with expensive boat unable t launch or retrieve them.

I think the funniest we ever witnessed was a young man dropped his significant other off at the dock with instructions to back up the trailer to load the boat. The boat he had was one of the ski boats with a very loud V-8 engine. She go the truck and trailer but could not back the trailer down the ramp. He, in his frustration kept turning tight circle with way too much throttle splashing other boaters and making big waves near the dock (a no wake zone), all the while yelling obscenities and cussing at the poor girl and telling her how stupid she was at the top of his lungs.

I had gotten up from our table and was headed for the launch to offer help when she apparently had enough. She threw his truck keys at him...and into the lake in about 8' of water and left on foot. About that time park rangers showed up and gave him a ticket for his actions in the no wake zone.
He should be counting his lucky stars! She could/should have continued to backup until trailer and truck were well underwater!

Guarantee he would think twice in the future before he goes running his mouth off like that.
lijbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:16 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking

Good results come from good experience, good experience comes from bad results.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:20 PM   #67

At least one thing I learned in aviation was the value of a written checklist. So after a lot of reading of the manual, and a goodly amount of video watching, I used Evernote (the free version, Android) and painstakingly wrote out every detail, line by line, with a checkbox on each line. I actually have one for making camp, and one for breaking camp. They are in my smartphone. I use them religiously. If I get sidetracked or distracted, I back up several steps and re-verify that I did each one. Just the same, the day will come... as we say in aviation in regard to gear-up landings, there are two groups of pilots -- those who have landed gear up, and those who haven't... yet!

I still have more than enough accidents that can't be covered by a checklist... !!

Best,
Steve
pflightnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #68

Hi Dizcom, I am probably one of those people you see run a hose through the bathroom window occasionally when flushing the black tank. I am an experienced RVer and lime to do a thourough flush a couple times during the season and the last dump before parking for a few months before we head south. We do have nozzles in the black tank which do a decent job however the occasional flush with my extended nozzle does a far better job.
hicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:30 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Lots of new folks out there these days. An odd thing we noted this year was the number of people at dump stations running a hose in their window to "flush out" the black tank. Is there a meme or something telling new RVers to do this?
How timely you mentioned this - I have noticed three folks in our park just this week doing this. One I think was a clog, though, just from the glares between husband and wife..
hauboldg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:37 PM   #70

Quote:
Hummm... I'll do this on the "final dump" before leaving a campground because the water (with a pressure nozzle), is more high pressure vs. just flushing. What I want to see is a clean bottom of the tank and clear water going out the sewer hose.

I'll fill the tank about 1/4 full and drop in a dishwasher soap packet (the spot-free rinse ones ). When I get back home, I'll flush again with water and empty. I'll do the same with the grey tank on occasion but not nearly as often...

Done this on five Airstreams, two Foretravels, one Country Coach and my current Lazy Daze (been RV camping since 1982)... And yes, the Foretravels and CC had sewer flushes in the water bay but this always worked better.

So... what's the problem with people "running a hose through the window" to flush out the black tank?

I'm educatable...

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote