Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 10:16 PM   #99

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
I don't have a checklist when pulling out of the campground, but I use an old technique when I was learning to get my private pilot's license and when I was a Huey crewchief:

I start at the left front of my coach and slowly make my way to the rear, checking ALL compartment doors to make sure they are locked, all umbilicals (power, water, sewer lines, cable tv) are disconnected and stowed. Then I go across the rear and make sure all totes are secured and bungeed. Then make my way along the right side and toward the front, again looking over and inspecting ANYTHING that is out of place like the fold-out shade, open compartment doors, etc. When I do this technique, I usually run my hand along the sides, rear and front of the rig. Doing this gives me a good feeling for some reason; probably because I know that I didn't miss anything. Then I usually make my way to the rear again and climb the ladder to make sure I didn't forget to retract the TV antenna, or leave a lawn chair up there, lol.

I am reminded of a fighter pilot tugging and pulling ordnance and flight control surfaces (rudder, aileron, etc.) to make sure his bird is Fully Mission Capable.

I guess you can called it my "preflight".
I also look under the coach.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 10:20 PM   #100

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmandmc View Post
Hey at least we not boat owners that have forgotten to put the transom plug back in prior to hitting the water.
Been there done that
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:34 PM   #101

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravytrain View Post
As a former Navy Flight Crew member, I learned the value of checklists long ago. For the RV I now use an app on my Android phone called "Check Off" - it is free and you can build your own checklists. It has kept me from screwing up numerous times.
X2, I use that app as well, after flying for a good number of years checklists always get used.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:35 PM   #102

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As for the walk arounds; I go around twice, looking under the full rig from the rear and side, look at the top, perhaps climb up and look. The DW goes around one more time while doing a departure light check.

Only thing we've both missed was a set of worn out plastic leveling blocks on the last night's stay after a 5 month long trip to Alaska. Guess we were ready to be getting home. No loss in my opinion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:48 AM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
Been there done that.
L2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:20 AM   #104

Freightliner Owners Club
Just the other day I admit I did something really stupid. I am certain it was not the first time I have done it nor will it most likely be the last time for me to do it. I connected to our big cargo trailer to run it down to the inspection station so that I could renew my tags. I checked everything, Lights, tires, chains, connections that kind of thing. The inspector stood at the front of the trailer looking at it. he stated I might want to look at my Jack. Evidently, I pulled the trailer out of the parking spot and bent my jack. So almost two hundred dollars later I had a new jack welded on the trailer.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:30 AM   #105

We are three years in and without resources like this forum, videos, courses, etc. it would be rough. I learn something new every time I view a thread here or other internet site.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:31 AM   #106

We're VERY new to this and even after I've gone through the check list and started the MH I still jump out and walk around the MH one last time before moving it
Ctrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:54 AM   #107

Many years ago I was trying to get our 5er level on a hillside by backing it up onto some planks on the driver's side. Oh, the problems I was having!!
My Dad, who was a professional semi truck driver was trying to guide me from back behind the 38" 5er, and I just couldn't make head or tails from his instructions.
He would yell:"GO AHEAD BACK UP!!" So which did he mean?? After us both getting a "little bit" hot under the collar I finally stopped and got out and said:"YOU BACK IT UP!! I don't understand your GO AHEAD BACK UP!!
He climbs up into the dually, puts the trans in reverse and one move back and 3 seconds later the 5er is situated perfectly.
Needless to say, I never tried backing the 5er when he was around.
We laugh now, but it was getting a bit "stormy" back then.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:00 AM   #108

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by THindman View Post
I’ve run a hose through the window and washed out my black tank, and gotten more out of it! Does that mean I’m a “newbie”? Hasn’t anyone else done this? 🤔

Just close your eyes and take a moment to think of another way you might get water from the toilet to the black tank...
Old 01-14-2022, 10:01 AM   #109

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMutti View Post
"Lots of new folks out there these days. An odd thing we noted this year was the number of people at dump stations running a hose in their window to "flush out" the black tank. Is there a meme or something telling new RVers to do this."

I'm confused by your comment. We are experienced RVers and occasionally run a hos through the window to use our swirls stick to be sure all the gunk is out of the black tank. Why is this a new RVers mistake?

Who said they had a swirl stick?
Old 01-14-2022, 10:17 AM   #110

Our coach is a 1989 Foretravel and we are the fourth owners so I do not know what the black tank has gone thru.
So what I did was replace the rinse spinner--first. Then I filled the tank up three times and then let it drain out with the gate valve wide open, until zero solids.
Then I closed the valve, put in a cup of Calgon water softener crystals, and a 1/2 bottle of Dollar Tree discount Dawn dish soap.
I continued to do this after dumping after four camping trips.
Now I just make sure there is clear liquid coming out after using the third valve to do a rinse with the sink water.
Eight years now with ZERO problems, and the tank rinses clear when I prep the coach for winter storage.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:43 AM   #111

The "hose in the window" topic seems to have gotten a lot of comments.

Your suggestion of flushing the toilet to put water in the black tank doesn't accomplish much. I also use a hose from outside since it is connected to a spray wand and this flushes out more debris even after I use the built in tank spray system through multiple cycles. I don't do this every dump; just at the end of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Just close your eyes and take a moment to think of another way you might get water from the toilet to the black tank...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:48 AM   #112

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
The "hose in the window" topic seems to have gotten a lot of comments.

Your suggestion of flushing the toilet to put water in the black tank doesn't accomplish much. I also use a hose from outside since it is connected to a spray wand and this flushes out more debris even after I use the built in tank spray system through multiple cycles. I don't do this every dump; just at the end of the season.

Boooo - you didn't read all the comments. Like others, you are assuming things that weren't said.