Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2022, 07:59 AM   #1

Watching less experienced RV person

Pulled into our recent stop in Santa Barbara CA RV park a day ago.

Our slot was a back-in and next to us was a small very new and shiny View class C.

I noted the drivers side had the 3 basement doors missing and at first assumed a break in. On a closer look saw major damage to the under carriage with about an 8"-10" dent that pushed up the underneath. All hinges and latches were still hanging loose where the basement doors would have been.

Looks like driver or something else hit impacted and caused the damage. No clue why. Very young woman driving and did not talk to her.

After we were parked, leveled and hooked up I noted she was about to pull out.

She started her new rig and as she began driving forward I heard a big "POP".

She stopped and apparently had forgotten to disconnect shore power. So plug and cable snapped out of power box and was extended full length behind her rig. She rolled it up and stowed it hopefully not damaged and proceeded to exit the RV park.

Good luck young woman, and safe travels.

I ALWAYS, Always, well usually , run through my check-list before pulling out. Opps last time I did not do that I forgot the external temperature sensor which hangs on the windscreen wiper arm.

Knowledge is gained by reading books and taking classes. Experience comes by learning about our mistakes.

Cheers all,

Bat Dude
Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2022, 08:11 AM   #2

I bet she said bad words - both times.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:13 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Another argument for always renting out your RV...

Lots of new folks out there these days. An odd thing we noted this year was the number of people at dump stations running a hose in their window to "flush out" the black tank. Is there a meme or something telling new RVers to do this?

We've answered a lot of questions this year and noticed that there are always experienced campers around willing to lend a hand or offer some advice. More than once, other experienced campers came over to us to let us know about something they saw on our rig that looked out of place. The effort is always appreciated and if we can pay if forward, we will.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:38 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
This is our first year as well. There are so many checklists, videos, and forums like this one that are enormous assets. Without these, I too would probably have no clue as to what I'm supposed to do.

Research and participation in groups is so incredibly valuable.

I hope she's okay and doesn't get discouraged. Unfortunately, those are going to be very expensive mistakes!!
Old 01-06-2022, 08:44 AM   #5

Some people(me), even if experienced, get easily distracted and nervous if being watched and can forget stuff. I always hated launching a boat with an audience. I could do it perfectly when no body was around.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We all have a few bad days. But being new and once you gain confidence, oh boy watch out.

With my trailers and motor home, I have had a few times forgot to unplug the power cord. It when I change my procedure; Like leaving it plugged in for the AC or fridge for hours, while otherwize being completely ready to move. I now tie a reminder yellow strap around the steering wheel once the MH should not be moved (landing gear, slides, city water, shore power, anenta, etc..). But before the strap and 30+ years of rv's its happen a handfull of times.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:48 AM   #7

I was at Fort Stevens St just sitting in a lwan chair facing an empty spot when this older (50's) couple drives up and stops to check out their spot. Pretty soon the guy gets out of the passenger seat and walks to the spot while the women procceeds to back in. after 3-4 different manuvoures she's now got the small TT going into the spot. The guys on the passenger side of the TT giving directions. There's a big tree on the drivers side of the TT. As she's backing up and getting closer to the tree I could just feel that she wasn't going to stop. As soon as I yelled stop she hits the tree just enough to not do any damage but enough to know she hit something. She then gets out and tells the guy I heard stop and never saw the tree.

The it's setup time. They both were walking around the TT for 15-20 mins taking stuff out in no particular order. He started lowering a couple stab jacks before the TT was even level. No chocks as of yet. Spot was flat so not really that bad. Then he hooked up the water to the site next to them. The sites were on a corner so the power poles were about 15' apart. So the pole off the passenger side rear was closest. Some young lady showed up that must've been a friend or relative and got the water/elec figured out for them.
Needless to say it was quite a show for about 45 mins. Probably the worst mess of confusion I've ever seen and I didn't mention all of it.

Trailer had a Curtis Trailers Sales dealer sign in the license plate holder so it very well could've been their 1st trip out.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:08 PM   #8

It's just human nature to be amused by the misfortunes of others. Apparently it's big fun to sit around at a boat launch on busy weekends....
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
It's just human nature to be amused by the misfortunes of others. Apparently it's big fun to sit around at a boat launch on busy weekends....
We lived on the beach about a hundred feet from a launch ramp over the sand on the Sea of Cortez. It was a tricky launch but never very busy. For a time I would go over when someone showed up and try to offer tips. More times than not people didn't want advise and were confident until buried. So.. I stopped offering advise and when someone showed up I would get out my lawn chair and shout to my wife IT'S SHOW TIME! Without fail, after getting in a pickle they would come over and ask for help. I went from heckler to hero.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:07 PM   #10

We stopped at a rest area in New York. The parking for Rv's and trucks was huge with a lot of room to maneuver. as were were walking to the building, a couple were trying to back into a spot. He was having a hard time. As I watched, he kept turning the wheel back and forth and over steering.
I walked up and offered assistance and he told me it was only the third time
he's ever backed up and was getting confused. I politely told him to put his hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and to move his hand in the direction he wants the rear of the trailer to move.
A few minutes later he was parked dead center in the spot.
The couple insisted on buying us a cup of coffee and we had a pleasant conversation.

His wife kept thanking me. I told her we all go through the same thing the first few times.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:29 PM   #11

Instead of laughing at newbies if you see they are having issues pop over and ask if they need any help. If they say "no", fine; but most of the time they'll welcome it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:40 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
We stopped at a rest area in New York. The parking for Rv's and trucks was huge with a lot of room to maneuver. as were were walking to the building, a couple were trying to back into a spot. He was having a hard time. As I watched, he kept turning the wheel back and forth and over steering.
I walked up and offered assistance and he told me it was only the third time
he's ever backed up and was getting confused. I politely told him to put his hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and to move his hand in the direction he wants the rear of the trailer to move.
A few minutes later he was parked dead center in the spot.
The couple insisted on buying us a cup of coffee and we had a pleasant conversation.

His wife kept thanking me. I told her we all go through the same thing the first few times.
And how many years have I been backing up trailers and never thought of that? That’s brilliant advice. I’m gonna use it and finally get my utility trailer into the waste transfer station on the first try next Saturday! This forum made my life better today. Thanks!!
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:09 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As a young (many years ago) couple, money was always tight, so family outings often were just picnics at a local state park. We always tried to get the table next to the boat launch and watched the frustration of people with expensive boat unable t launch or retrieve them.

I think the funniest we ever witnessed was a young man dropped his significant other off at the dock with instructions to back up the trailer to load the boat. The boat he had was one of the ski boats with a very loud V-8 engine. She go the truck and trailer but could not back the trailer down the ramp. He, in his frustration kept turning tight circle with way too much throttle splashing other boaters and making big waves near the dock (a no wake zone), all the while yelling obscenities and cussing at the poor girl and telling her how stupid she was at the top of his lungs.

I had gotten up from our table and was headed for the launch to offer help when she apparently had enough. She threw his truck keys at him...and into the lake in about 8' of water and left on foot. About that time park rangers showed up and gave him a ticket for his actions in the no wake zone.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:18 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My parents rented a TT in 1957 and ordered their own in 1958. At the time I was 10 and we belonged to a club that owned 10 acres to build a private park on. So I've been around RV's most of my life. Pretty much everything that can be done wrong I've either seen or done myself.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote