Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water filter

I have an Everpure water filter system at the sink. It is NOT part of the hot/cold faucet. I have a separate valve to get filtered water. I removed the filter EV959206 during winterization and installed the bypass plug. I laid the filter on its side and when I picked it up I turned it upside down to drain it before placing it in the trash can.
Black liquid stuff came out the end. I called the Mfr and was told that is normal. WHAT???
We are part timers and probably don't run 10 gallons of water through the filter in a year. We use bottled water for coffee (and the cat??). About the only time we would use water is for washing dishes and boiling potatoes or something. We have an inexpensive filter from Walmart that I put in-line before I hook up my water supply hose to the campground supply.
Which brings up a few issues:
1. Do I really need to buy a $60 filter each year? For $60, I can buy 20 plus cases of bottled water, or 60 one gallon bottles.
2. Can I just leave the bypass plug in forever and NOT use a filter or filtered water?
3. Does it sound normal to have black liquid stuff coming out of a filter when you turn it upside down? It seems like that black stuff (I assume charcoal filter stuff) was getting into the water when I used it>
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, which end did the black stuff come out of? If it's the input end, that could be junk that it's filtered out. If it's the output end, I certainly would not consider that normal!

That is a very high quality filter. I have one under my sink and if you check the specs you will find it's one of the best out there.

I definitely would not consume the water without that filter, either for drinking or cooking. Those outside in-line filters just take out the larger stuff. I would not trust them for consumption. JMHO

You can buy it for a lot less than $60! For example, check out the link below.

Amazon.com: everpure ev959206

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with "MSHappyCampers".....we had the same filter system as he does and wish I had it on my new coach. I always liked the idea of having a separate spigot on the sink for filtered water. We live in California and never need to winterize, so I would leave the filter in place for about two years and tehn replace.

You can remove that filter, install the bypass tube for winter and let the filter air dry and then use again next year if you;re concerned about buying new ones.

Most filters will drip gunk out the inlet end after use. Whenever I installed the new sink filter, I always ran a gallon of water through the new filter, purging any loose charcoal.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I normally pay $40+ for that filter at Camping World. A couple times a year they have it on sale at somewhere between $32 to $36. I double filter using a Hydrolife filter cartrage on a direct connection to the campground spigot. It's probably overkill but we use the water for coffee and drinking too. So far I have survived.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #5

The black stuff is activated charcoal. The filter is designed to flow one way. When you turned upside down, the black water along the charcoal runs out the entrance side. Almost all household water filters are designed that way.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
The black stuff is activated charcoal. The filter is designed to flow one way. When you turned upside down, the black water along the charcoal runs out the entrance side. Almost all household water filters are designed that way.
X2
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We also have the ever pure filter and plus a filter outside the RV that filters any junk that could get into the water lines from the campground water. It help keep the intake for toilet and sinks and shower free of sand and smells that sometimes happens with campground wells.
sniggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
X3.. What is more if you put in a new filter (Which by the way you should do next season) it will flow black for a bit at first.

Now here is what you need to know about Activated charcoal in your body... Not only will small quanities not harm you.. The are actually the cure for some things that DO harm you... Small amounts (Several times what you can possibly get in a glass of water) are harmless. Visit the drug store. you can buy Activated charcoal tablets,,, In the same isle as "Gas-X"
Old 10-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #9

Amazed, but never surprised. Paying $60 or even $40 for a $2 charcoal water filter? You can buy a water filter housing for about $15 at Amazon and replacement filters of any type for just a couple of dollars each. Can't help it. I'm still laughing. You can even get carried away and buy a super duper charcoal filter from Amazon for less than $8. Hundreds of filters available in the 5 micron style very reasonable. The everpure filter advertizes .5 micron filtration. You can buy generics for about $13.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We owned a water supply store and bottling facility for 20+ years. As mentioned before the black stuff is activated carbon and nothing to worry about.First let us address some of the myths about water. Bottled water is good for you, not by a long shot. Most bottled water is just tap water run through a filter system and impregnated with ozone to inhibit bacterial growth. Ozone in controlled environments is wonderful at doing its job, but it only last for 15 to 30 seconds before it dissipates. After this initial burst of ozone there is nothing protecting the water. The longer the water
sits in a warehouse or store reduces its shelf life. Sunlight promotes bacterial growth in bottled water.[ never buy water that has been sitting in a store window].
Your body is comprised of approximately 95% water would you dilute it with inferior water. Would you put unknown low grade motor oil in your engine? I know I wont.
As for filters You get what you pay for expensive filters like Everpure have compounds [silver] included in their make up so that bacteria does not grow in the filter when it is idol . Drying out a filter does not protect it from the eggs of bacteria that will remain dormant until the filter is rehydrated. I have on occasion drained my filter and put it in the freezer until needed and found that it works well.
The inline filters for hoses are to small a capacity to remove pollutants, the more filter medium and the longer exposure to that medium is what counts.
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Amazed, but never surprised. Paying $60 or even $40 for a $2 charcoal water filter? You can buy a water filter housing for about $15 at Amazon and replacement filters of any type for just a couple of dollars each. Can't help it. I'm still laughing. You can even get carried away and buy a super duper charcoal filter from Amazon for less than $8. Hundreds of filters available in the 5 micron style very reasonable. The everpure filter advertizes .5 micron filtration. You can buy generics for about $13.
This system was in place when I bought the coach. I'm not sure of the name of the filtration system, but the ONLY filter cartridge that will fit, is the EV959206 or equivalent. Please provide a link to where I can buy a filter cartridge that fits my water system for $2 or $15. Not just any old filter will fit.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
X2
Yea, that makes sense. There is an intake area and an output area built into the everpure cartridge. The black stuff was coming from the middle, which I assume is the intake.

I am anxiously awaiting the link from one poster who is going to tell me where I can buy a cartridge for $2.00. He sounds like he knows his stuff and since I am not in a hurry, I'll wait. Two bucks sounds pretty cheap for this particular filter. I'll probably buy 6 of them and change the cartridge every month. How can you go wrong for two bucks? Jeez, all along I thought a good, compatible filter cartridge was $40 or $50. I feel so stupid.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post

This system was in place when I bought the coach. I'm not sure of the name of the filtration system, but the ONLY filter cartridge that will fit, is the EV959206 or equivalent. Please provide a link to where I can buy a filter cartridge that fits my water system for $2 or $15. Not just any old filter will fit.
Adapt it to a whole house filter, buy the 1/2 micron filters from Amazon. Whole house filter housing about $15, 1/2 micron filter like everpure $13. Wouldn't take very long to start saving money. $60 for a filter is outrageous.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Adapt it to a whole house filter, buy the 1/2 micron filters from Amazon. Whole house filter housing about $15, 1/2 micron filter like everpure $13. Wouldn't take very long to start saving money. $60 for a filter is outrageous.
Turns out the filter that fits can be bought for $40. Are you seriously suggesting I reinvent the entire water filtration system and cram all that stuff under my sink. Or that I cludge together some kind of Rube Goldberg system that I have to drag out and put away every time I move, just to save $40 a year? Thanks but no thanks.

Tags
water