Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #1

Water filter over winter. Keep or always replace?

Have a water filter and only run a few hundred gallons through it in my summer season, plenty of use left. But I wonder about having stagnate water sit in it not moving over the winter? Hate to replace them every year at $40ea. Thoughts?
Banshee Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 06:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
If one of you were to get sick due to the water/filter, 40 bucks will seem cheap. I replace all the water filter's every spring, and sanitize the entire system. I have a clear whole house filter that goes "First inline" and sits outside in a filter mount that sticks into the ground. This is in front of my more expensive whole house filter in the wet bay. I can see what contrition it is in and can see what kind of water we are using. It has a 10 micron string filter in it.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #3

I'd definitely change it. Mold and mildew have probably grown in it and you could get very very sick
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #4

For the low cost of water filters, we change ours every spring. The filter is removed when we winterize the MH so new one is needed any way.
Better 'safe' then sorry!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:59 PM   #5

Just drain it, place in Zip-Lock bag, put in deep freeze for the winter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:49 AM   #6

I would think a filter not being use much would have a greater chance of growing something to make you sick. I would at least change it every camping season not matter how much I used it.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #7

We always capped and refrigerated ours during the camping season and changed it when needed. We are now full timers (8 years) but still cap and refrigerate the filter on travel days and when dry camping. Never been sick from water. I like the idea of capping (if possible) and freezing. I cannot think why that would not work.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We change ours regularly. Our coach uses a "cartridge" style filter that can be had for $15. We replace it probably 2-3 times each year.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I put 5 gallon water bottles in the basement storage with its own pump. Ran a water line to back of fridge and swapped it with the water line that was there. Now all our ice and water in the fridge door is bottled water. Drinking water is always cold and that is the only water we use to drink, make coffee and cook with.

Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison

It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #10

Water filter over winter. Keep or always replace?

I have two standard clear WHOLE HOUSE filter canistersm, one at the faucet, one aboard. Hardware stores sell them for under 20 bucks, and the filters are (outboard/onboard) 15 and 5 micron. About 10 bucks.
Before we were fulltime, I changed them at the end of the season or when they looked skankey.
Now, about every 3 months, or 30 bucks a year. I won't freeze mine for that chump change! Why take a risk?
You don't need the bigger buck RV store filters. Ever

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, water, winter