Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Water heater not working if not on shore power

I spent about 10 weeks "dry camping" in National Forests this summer. Towards the end of my last stay, the water heater wouldn't kick on unless the generator was running. When I first noticed the water wasn't hot, I flipped the switch on and off and it fired up. But a couple days later, that didn't work.

I run the generator every day until it goes to "float." I also monitor the batteries throughout the day and they never dip below 12.8v.
Now that I'm plugged in to shore power, I've had no issues. Any words of wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 02:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What Make/model water heater. Is the water heater Gas & Electric.

If only electric it would only work on shore and/or generator.

If gas, when you flip the switch on, you should hear the ignitor clicking to light the gas. If it clicks check the flame.

Earlier this year mine would try to start, the burner would light but it would stay on. In the end I removed the control board, cleaned the contacts and blue it out with a air dryer as I noticed some moisture on it. Reinstalled and it's worked ever since.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:38 PM   #3

Start with simple. Is there a circuit breaker switch between the shore power and the water heater that wouldn't be between the generator and the water heater?
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #4

Is your propane tank filled and if you have other propane devices, stove, furnace, are they working? Next blow out the burner orfices, spiders and bugs love to plug them.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:07 PM   #5

There are lots of different systems that work lots of different ways. Supply make and model of water heater for better responses.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy in CDA View Post
I spent about 10 weeks "dry camping" in National Forests this summer. Towards the end of my last stay, the water heater wouldn't kick on unless the generator was running. When I first noticed the water wasn't hot, I flipped the switch on and off and it fired up. But a couple days later, that didn't work.

I run the generator every day until it goes to "float." I also monitor the batteries throughout the day and they never dip below 12.8v.
Now that I'm plugged in to shore power, I've had no issues. Any words of wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Well.......
Brand/Model would be helpfull

W.A.G (wild a$$ GUESS) would be:
Low DC Voltage to water heater
Fault occurred in lighting/proving flame lit

2002 Vintage......on those models (Atwood or Suburban)
Electric and Propane are separate circuits
*Propane needs 12VDC & good propane flow
*Electric needs 120VAC (no DC used for AC controls)

IF Water Heater is GAS ONLY
Low DC Voltage (WH functions when Generator is ON)
Turning switch off/back on resets circuit board lock-out from fault
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, power, shore power, water, water heater