Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2017, 06:35 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Water pipes vibrating/hammering

Just installed a new water pump and water pipes are vibrating. I wanted to isolate the pipes downstream by cutting the pex pipe and installing a short length on coiled hose. I searched for pex compression fitting with hose barbs for 1/2" hose. No luck.

Does anyone have a different idea to eliminate the hammering/banging of pipes when pump is running. I have no problem when on city water.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
Just installed a new water pump and water pipes are vibrating. I wanted to isolate the pipes downstream by cutting the pex pipe and installing a short length on coiled hose. I searched for pex compression fitting with hose barbs for 1/2" hose. No luck.

Does anyone have a different idea to eliminate the hammering/banging of pipes when pump is running. I have no problem when on city water.
You are on the right track
Worst case use pex to NPT then NPT to hose Barb.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:05 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The "Shark teeth" style fittings should be available at any big box store. These simply push onto the tube, install a locking ring, and you should be good. You might find these fittings that you can screw a barb into.

ALSO - Try this. Turn the water pump off and disconnect from city water. Open the pressure release valve on your water heater, then remove the drain plug on the water heater to allow a quart or so of water to drain out. Snug the drain plug back up and close the pressure relief valve..

This will suck air into the water heater and there will now be a small air pocket trapped in the top of the water heater. This small air pocket may be enough to stop the water hammer.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #4

You are doing it the hard way.....

You want this. Pump Silencing Kit | Pump Silencing Kit

Isolates the pump from pipes. Softer material.damps the pulses before the water system
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #5

Charlie-

Crimp on of these on the PEX:

SharkBite 1/2 in. Brass PEX Barb x Male Pipe Thread Adapter-UC120LFA - The Home Depot

and then use one of these to connect the water pump and the above fitting:

BrassCraft 1/2 in. FIP x 1/2 in. FIP x 20 in. Braided Polymer Faucet Connector-B8-20A F - The Home Depot

Not all HD retail stores have them, but the above hoses come in 12-, 16-, 20-, 24- and 30-inch lengths. I use ones long enough to put a loop or partial loop in the hose, which helps reduce the stress on the end fittings. Make sure you get the FIP-FIP (Female Iron Pipe) hoses, not the ones for compression fittings. The hoses have a washer inside that will snug up against the brass fitting, so hand-tighten; you shouldn't need any pipe tape.

I use these on my coach and it's the cat's meow. Very little noise transmitted from the pump.

If you have hammering or pressure fluctuations, rather than just noise transmission, more investigation will be required. What pump make/model did you replace, and with what make/model did you replace it? Do you have an accumulator in your system?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #6

I had that on mine that was a loud rhythmic thunking clunk and you could see them moving when on the pump. I removed the filter and drained the canister and then replaced it. Most of the noise went away and it is almost back to the original level, but I also had one of those flexible hoses that was bent and collapsed when the slide was closed. Correcting that also helped. I have a good spot for an accumulator tank when I upgrade our pump.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #7

One of these helps a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-SEAFLO...expansion+tank

They come in different sizes. Use the largest you have room for.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #8

A couple of notes on accumulators:

1) Some pumps (e.g., the variable-speed type) are designed to not need an accumulator. The manufacturer's installation instructions will spell this out.

2) Accumulators can provide expansion space for hot water heating. This is a primary function in house ("stick and brick") plumbing. In an RV, the expansion capability is in addition to that provided by the air "pocket" at the top of the water heater. In any case, you can use an on-line calculator such as this one, to size the accumulator for hot water expansion purposes. For my coach, I needed a one liter tank pressurized to 40 psi. Here is a link to the model I purchased.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Problem solved.

With a little advise from all I went to pex NPT compression fitting. I then attached a braided faucet connector (does't kink like water hose). Quiet as a mouse.

Thanks again to all who responded.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:43 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found a flex hose bouncing against a wall. Tied it down to the wall. Noise gone.

Tags
water