Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

Question Water Pressure Regulators

Thank you all....once again I come away from these q n a's smarter but with additional questions! I would like to address the subject of the pressure regulators. Is this something that is usually installed by manufacturer (in 2002)? If not what is recommended and do I need a mechanic to install it? I was thrilled when I purchased the inline filter as I could actually install that myself!
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #2

MS. Linda,

i don't think the manufacturers installed pressure regulators in the older coaches. Ours did not have one, and I added a permanent system to our coach. Pressure regulators are important to have because water pressure varies in campgrounds, and soem can be higher than the tested pressure for your water system.

If you purchase a simple regulator, from say Camping World, you just attach it to your water hose. however, you want to make sure you get the regulator with the largest hole size to let the water flow better. The reason is the regulators you get from say Walmart have a 1/8 inch hole to let the water pass through. This can reduce the volume of water that goes into your water system. You will see the effect most in your shower. RV dealers parts departments should have the "larger" opening regulator.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
MS. Linda,

i don't think the manufacturers installed pressure regulators in the older coaches. Ours did not have one, and I added a permanent system to our coach. Pressure regulators are important to have because water pressure varies in campgrounds, and soem can be higher than the tested pressure for your water system.

If you purchase a simple regulator, from say Camping World, you just attach it to your water hose. however, you want to make sure you get the regulator with the largest hole size to let the water flow better. The reason is the regulators you get from say Walmart have a 1/8 inch hole to let the water pass through. This can reduce the volume of water that goes into your water system. You will see the effect most in your shower. RV dealers parts departments should have the "larger" opening regulator.
Rather than a "flow regulator" as many of the lesser expensive ones are, you want to get a real pressure regulator so that it will have negligible effect on your shower experience. Watts whole house regulator is a popular one.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #4

Terry,

Watts is what I used, but was thinking easy to install.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Community Administrator

I use a 265a Watts regulator and its easy to install. I got it here. http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ABPressure.htm
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #6

For $8 at walmart you can get a pressure regulator that attaches to your hose or at your city intake. Why spend alot of money on something so simple.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #7

I bought the cheap regulator and it busted the first time plugging it in so I went and spent the money on the valterra unit.

Buy once cry once.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
For $8 at walmart you can get a pressure regulator that attaches to your hose or at your city intake. Why spend alot of money on something so simple.
Because the one that Walmart ( and others ) sells is a restrictor , not a regulator. No matter what they label it as.
Cliff

Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #9

Problem with some so-called regulators is when water flow is small or zero, they leak-through enough to subject everything to city water pressure thus negating the main reason for fitting it.

A 3/4 " adjustable Watts regulator with standard hose fittings each side and a gauge, fitted to the faucet will protect the hose, filter housing and the whole coach from damaging water pressures.

Next problem is how to stop your envious neighbours from stealing the regulator when you aren't looking.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Problem with some so-called regulators is when water flow is small or zero, they leak-through enough to subject everything to city water pressure thus negating the main reason for fitting it.

A 3/4 " adjustable Watts regulator with standard hose fittings each side and a gauge, fitted to the faucet will protect the hose, filter housing and the whole coach from damaging water pressures.

Next problem is how to stop your envious neighbours from stealing the regulator when you aren't looking.
My Watts is in the wet bay. I dont mind if I bust a hose.

And...
to those that realize a restrictor does NOT decrease the pressure, only the flow. Simple physics!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #11

I too tossed the cheap restrictor the dealer graciously gave me and bought a Watts 265A a well from the same source as noted above. Went from a barely adequate flow to a nice healthy water flow for all situations. One of the best purchases you can make.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pressure regulators, Some did install, Some did not,

How to tell.

Method one:
Look at the plastic shroud around the water inlet, If there is a vent hole, usually UNDER the water hose connection, then odds are you have a factory installed pressure regulator, READ ON HOWEVER)

Method two,

Remove shroud and look at the back side of the water inlet, If it's fairly small (1" or less) in diamater and one piece,, NO REGULATOR If it is a fairly large (more than 1.5") thing with 4 screws that hold parts in kind of a sandwich,, That is a Sur-Flow pressure regulator.

If you do not have a pressure regulator get a Watts "Whole house" type, 1/2 to 3/4 inch at Lowes or Home depot and get the proper hose coupling adapters to mate it to a garden hose. Set it for no more than 5PSI more than the sticker on the water inlet says to set it for, or if no sticker 50PSI.

If you do not use a water filter than this watts unit is the first thing off the park hydrant/water bib/faucet.

If you DO use a filter (External to the RV) then get a 2nd one and set it to like 70 PSI

Park-70PSI-Long hose--Filter--Short hose--50PSI-RV
Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #13

Lots of food for thought! It was suggested (not on this forum) that I adjust the water pressure at the source, ie the CG faucet. No need to always open the spigot all the way...this made sense for too much pressure but what if there is not enough pressure? What say you?
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:59 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBaby View Post
Lots of food for thought! It was suggested (not on this forum) that I adjust the water pressure at the source, ie the CG faucet. No need to always open the spigot all the way...this made sense for too much pressure but what if there is not enough pressure? What say you?
Not true. The pressure will still build up. You need a regulator.
Cliff