Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2018, 10:36 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Water pressure vs length/type of hose

I spend summers parked on my daughter's property. The only flat spot where we can park is abought 120 feet from a water faucet. Last year my water pressure was really low. This summer we’re about 15’ further away so I swapped out a 35’ Camco hose for a 50’ Flexzilla hose. Now water pressure is a joke.

Does a softer hose material reduce water pressure, or is it the additional length that makes the difference? Any suggestions on how to improve water pressure?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 10:40 PM   #2

What size hose are you using?
Get a 3/4" or larger hose....but $$$

Better yet......fill your fresh water tank and use the on-board pump

I haven't connected to 'city water'--use a hose---since 2008
Use the fresh water tank and pump only. Consistent water pressure and flow no matter where we go.
Low pressure can fill your fresh water tank so use current hoses for that
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
What size hose are you using?
Get a 3/4" or larger hose....but $$$

Better yet......fill your fresh water tank and use the on-board pump

I haven't connected to 'city water'--use a hose---since 2008
Use the fresh water tank and pump only. Consistent water pressure and flow no matter where we go.
Low pressure can fill your fresh water tank so use current hoses for that

Was thinking the same thing.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #4

A drop in pressure is normal. Called physics! I hope you have the 5/8 line not the 3/8 line. Bigger is is better. I would also put the pressure reducer on the RV side not at the house. Remember the RV is not rated for high pressure the house usually provides so always use the pressure reducer.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:12 PM   #5

I'm with Old-Biscuit on this. I don't think it's as much pressure, as it is flow and or volume. The longer hose you use the more resistance you have. If I remember correctly, each pipe size you increase, you increase the volume by 4 times. Distance increases friction, and friction is not your friend.
OldIsOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:49 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The hoses are 5/8”. I really think the flexzilla hose is a larger part of the problem. When I first turn on the water the stream is almost normal, but it quickly reduces down to a trickle.

I'll fill the fresh tank tomorrow. It may take hours to get 44 gallons onboard. And I don’t think I'll buy any more soft hoses. Next summer I'm going to run some 3/4” PVC pipe most of the way.

And I learned the hard way that I need to put the reducer at the faucet. Phoenix city water pressure exploded a nearly new hose.

Thanks for your help!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:40 AM   #7

As you add length and connections, you increase the friction loss thru the hose. Friction loss reduces volume, not pressure.

The pressure is still there, but the volume drops down. That's why it flows good at first and then slows down.

Next year run some PEX tubing and put your pressure reducer at the RV end.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
The hoses are 5/8”. I really think the flexzilla hose is a larger part of the problem. When I first turn on the water the stream is almost normal, but it quickly reduces down to a trickle.

I'll fill the fresh tank tomorrow. It may take hours to get 44 gallons onboard. And I don’t think I'll buy any more soft hoses. Next summer I'm going to run some 3/4” PVC pipe most of the way.

And I learned the hard way that I need to put the reducer at the faucet. Phoenix city water pressure exploded a nearly new hose.

Thanks for your help!
Barb,
When you first turn on the faucet and it comes out strong that is static pressure. Normal for every water source. Once you open up a valve (like the shower) then you’re pressure will drop and so does the flow. Every one is correct about the long hose restricting water flow. Also you didn’t say are you parked uphill from the faucet? If you’re uphill then that’s a problem I always try to fill up my 72 gallon fresh tank and use the water pump. I just set the hose in the port turn it on low and do other things until it starts coming out, it really doesn’t take that long.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #9

I am late to the party on this thread, but I agree with filling your tank and running your water pump. If there is a reason you are unable to do that (and there can be a reason for every situation), I would suggest a 1" EDPM Rubber washdown hose. The 1" interior diameter allows for PLENTY of water flow. They can be bought online and cost about 2.60 per foot, plus shipping and end fittings. This IS a lot of money for a water hose, BUT... I have 3 EDPM rubber hoses I bought in 1984 and still use all the time. They have been left out in the sun over entire summers and are still flexible and don't leak. That is 34 years of service and still going strong. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for. A 50' hose with end fittings and shipping will cost you around 175.00. Divide that over 30 years and it is 5.83 per year. That is a bargain! If you are near a larger city, look for an industrial hose supply. You can buy it there and save the shipping costs. Buying a cheap water hose (that will kink and drive you crazy) every year will cost you far more. Just my opinion. You can put $5 with it and get a small coffee at Starbucks.
OldandOlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldandOlder View Post
I am late to the party on this thread, but I agree with filling your tank and running your water pump. If there is a reason you are unable to do that (and there can be a reason for every situation), I would suggest a 1" EDPM Rubber washdown hose. The 1" interior diameter allows for PLENTY of water flow. They can be bought online and cost about 2.60 per foot, plus shipping and end fittings. This IS a lot of money for a water hose, BUT... I have 3 EDPM rubber hoses I bought in 1984 and still use all the time. They have been left out in the sun over entire summers and are still flexible and don't leak. That is 34 years of service and still going strong. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for. A 50' hose with end fittings and shipping will cost you around 175.00. Divide that over 30 years and it is 5.83 per year. That is a bargain! If you are near a larger city, look for an industrial hose supply. You can buy it there and save the shipping costs. Buying a cheap water hose (that will kink and drive you crazy) every year will cost you far more. Just my opinion. You can put $5 with it and get a small coffee at Starbucks.
I have not found a manufacturer that recommends EPDM for potable water. But to each his own.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #11

For 5 pieces of 1" pvc pipe 20' (100') long and a few fittings, you can solve the issue. Put a hose connection at both ends.
Another idea is if there is power 120vac nearby, to buy a pump to put inline. Find one with a 65psi pressure rating.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I spend summers parked on my daughter's property. The only flat spot where we can park is abought 120 feet from a water faucet. Last year my water pressure was really low. This summer we’re about 15’ further away so I swapped out a 35’ Camco hose for a 50’ Flexzilla hose. Now water pressure is a joke.

Does a softer hose material reduce water pressure, or is it the additional length that makes the difference? Any suggestions on how to improve water pressure?
Flexible hoses do drop pressure when being used. I would stick with an old school type.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I'm suprised! Uphill?? So, how big are your interior plumbing lines? From my C in Fluid Dynamics from a State College, I'd say that's your restriction. The Laminar Effect, the drag caused by the walls of the hose verses the free flow away from the walls of the hose, of the 5/8" hose times the length hose, is far less than the 3/8" interior plumbing, plus the 90* corners, faucets valves, etc. But if that's what you're seeing, that's what it is. Make sure you have a good high flow pressure regulator, your filter isn't plugged, then maybe run parellel waterlines to reduce your laminar effect even fruther. A single 5/8"id hose provides .31sqin of area of water to 3/8"id interior lines capable of carrying .11 sqin. This should work.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:56 AM   #14
tcg

If there is electricity near the faucet you could get a small booster pump made for your situation.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure