Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #1

Water Quality Concerns

I always try to take home water for our dogs so I don't worry so much about stomach issues when we travel. We bring bottled water for ourselves for coffee, tea and such. Thinking this year I'd get a filtering system - myabe a filtered pitcher or faucet filter.

Does anyone else do this? Does anyone else have any suggestions or recommendations?

TIA
djl919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We use the blue Camco in-line filter on the freshwater hose to get the larger stuff, and a high-quality solid carbon block filter (1/2 micron) under the sink with separate faucet for all our consumable water.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #3

If you use the search feature, you will find a bunch of information on it.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #4

You can learn all about RV filters here.... and buy them. We've always drank, cooked, etc. from our fresh water tank without issues. We filtered the water coming into the tank for impurities and also at the kitchen sink for taste.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:52 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Just make sure if you get a filter with carbon you do like MS Happycamper and put it under the sink only. Having a charcoal filter inline for the whole system removes the chlorine that keeps things from growing in your holding tank and plumbing. Not good.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:55 AM   #6

WE use a filter at the city water hose connection. There is also a whole house filter near the water tank that apparently filters all water used in the MH. I say apparently because I have not traced all of the tubing routes. Our previous MH had a separate filter under the sink for a separate "bar" faucet next to the sink. Anyway, we have never had a problem with using water for all purposes, either fro our tank or a local water supply.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You can learn all about RV filters here.... and buy them. We've always drank, cooked, etc. from our fresh water tank without issues. We filtered the water coming into the tank for impurities and also at the kitchen sink for taste.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/
Good advice and a great company. I purchased a jumbo canister whole house outfit with a carbon filter. That was about 3 years ago. They say the cartridge is good for at a year of full time camping. I'm still using the original and have only flushed it once. It still gives great tasting water for drinking and making coffee. I endorse their products.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:54 PM   #8

My coach has a whole house filter that does a good job but does not reduce hardness. I installed a water softener filter in the house for the dishwasher and instant hot/drinking water system. The water softener filter is a 10.5" cartridge that fits in a standard canister type filter housing. The water softener cartridge reduces our city water from 250 ppm to 25 ppm. So far it has lasted for 2 months and still tests 25 ppm. My plan this week is to install one in the coach under the sink with it's own faucet. These cartridges are $20 for 2 on Amazon and are good for 1500 gal. And they can be recharged to about 80% of new capacity. Coffee made from the water is very good.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
My coach has a whole house filter that does a good job but does not reduce hardness. I installed a water softener filter in the house for the dishwasher and instant hot/drinking water system. The water softener filter is a 10.5" cartridge that fits in a standard canister type filter housing. The water softener cartridge reduces our city water from 250 ppm to 25 ppm. So far it has lasted for 2 months and still tests 25 ppm. My plan this week is to install one in the coach under the sink with it's own faucet. These cartridges are $20 for 2 on Amazon and are good for 1500 gal. And they can be recharged to about 80% of new capacity. Coffee made from the water is very good.
Link for the cartridge water softener filter?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I filter the water coming in with this filter https://www.campingworld.com/tastepu...n-water-filter. I drink and cook with the water from the FW tank.

I have a whole house filter onboard but a real pain to change it out, quit using it 3 years ago.

I sanitize the freshwater tank at the beginning of each season.

I use bottled water for the coffee pot for its internals not mine.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:57 PM   #11

We take our Big Berkey filter with us.

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:19 AM   #12

I put in a 5 filter reverse osmosis system under the sink of our Dutch Star, along with the outside filter I have mounted in the wet bay we don't worry about water quality.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:32 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Our coach has a whole coach filter.
We also use the blue Camco in-line filter on the freshwater hose . Having said that we and the dog still use bottled water for drinking. However tap water for cooking.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:37 AM   #14

I just installed this system in the bay right under the kitchen sink . I have a two filter system as well after the water tank that has a 5 micron then a carbon filter . all is good

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dave
featherlite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water