Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #1

Water separating fuel filter.

So I went camping last weekend and trying to get campfire going I had a brilliant idea. I would drain some diesel fuel out of the fuel filter since that what it’s made for right. Well never again, I opened drain and let a small amount drain the close the valve which was enough to get fire going. We headed out 2 days later drove about 1 1/2 hours all good, unloading golf cart and trailer when engine started sputtering ran inside check engine light and alarm going off so I shut her down. When back and diesel fuel was leaking pretty good around the drain valve cause by the oring twisted. After replacing fuel filter which I don’t travel without a spare, primed the system and all smooth again. Just to say something so simple can be a big headache.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #2

Hey I'll say you had a good idea about fire starting ! AND you were "prepared" with a spare filter.... Good job !!!!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #3

Yeah, but the fire was nice right?
Old 04-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought some fire starter granuals from Amazon and they work great! The granuals burn at 1200 degrees and claim to even start wet wood. Not sure about that but they started some good sized dry hard wood just fine! Comes in a plastic pail with a good lid. EZ to store under the coach.
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #5

we save our bacon grease and works like a charm and smells good...the natives at Lynn Lake in way north Canada showed us when it was damp out and had a time getting fire going..
Old 04-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #6

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
we save our bacon grease and works like a charm and smells good...
Bears LOVE the smell of bacon grease
artfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #7

not like every cabin and camper there wasn't cooking something outside.. and i did bear hunt in way more north and they had just oats,,well after we had couple we started in OATS,, we need grease and burgers.. next morning it was there. got scared by wolverine on way to stand. carrying my stuff the rifle was not where it should have been but he left. next thing I'm just listening and heard a mouse.. turned and bear!! shot a cinnamon large and scary bear .. oh i got stories that I'm sure others wouldn't be so kind to read.. later

and its not like we are in bear country every trip.. and have the sense ya know..

Tags
fuel, water