Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use Meguiars liquid cleaner wax and then apply a coating of Meguiars quik detailer spray on my fiberglass roof. You can not stand on it even with tennis shoes. I have to sit and slide along if I go up there. I usually clean and wax the roof twice a year and the coach body three times a year. It does take a day or so to complete the top and another couple day for the body.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have used 303 for years on my tires and plastic trim. I'm not so sure I would use 303 on my decals. To me your going to get run-off as it wears off.

On my RV trailers fiberglass exterior walls I use Gel Gloss. It is a cleaner and a wax all in one. On the decal areas I use Gel Gloss HD (has a added UV protection). My last two RV's were 6-7 years old when I sold them. The exterior surface looked better than new. Zero percent deterioration on the decals.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #17

Last year I used Maguires 67 to bring back the shine from some oxidisation followed by Turtle Wax. It does seem Star Brite has more votes so I'll get hold of that for the sides. I do know to do the roof first since the runoff will leave all kinds of pretty streaky runs down the sides. I did pick up some 303 protectant in a small blue spray bottle which says it's ok for fiberglass. I got this stuff from Advance Auto. I'll do what was mentioned earlier and try it on the back of the trailer and see how it lasts. Thanks again for all the advice!
ReddyRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:51 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
You might try Rejex on your fiberglass. It works on aircraft and boats as well. The Navy is even using it. Easy on, let dry then wipe haze off. It last for a year on my Motor Home and truck. I also use the wash Rejex sells along with black tank treatment called Hammerhead. Go to the Rejex web site to see products. Small company and will even answer the phone 😁.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:46 AM   #19

textured fiberglas roof

I've looked at various threads about waxes etc here for some time. I have a 2016 jayco precept A and it has a textured fiberglass roof. I had the coach done last year and the guy used what he called " roof wax" on it not sure what it was. May have been a spray wax of some sort. Rest of his products I know were Meguilars. On the rest of the coach i use Wash Wax All and 303 on the decals. The texture is too coarse to use a wipe on wipe off type of wax. Any thoughts?
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #20

Meguiar's D15601 Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax - 1 Gallon
by Meguiar's
$31.99 $ 31 99 Subscribe & Save
Save more with monthly Subscribe & Save deliveries.
$31.99 $ 31 99 Prime

I agree with wildtoad, you do not want to use an acrylic floor polish on your rigs side walls, nose and rear unless it is an older rig very faded from weather. It will work great on your roof however. Use one of the suggested polymer's or waxes on the majority of your RV. I also use the Meguiar's product above as a quick shine up and additional protection after I wash my rig. Turtle Wax has a similar product you can find at Wal Mart that is pretty cheap, I think less than $5 a bottle.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I would not use floor finish on your RV unless the finish is dull from sun exposure and normal buffing doesn’t work for you. To be clear, I have used Mop and Glo on the 16 year old Hurricane mh I had and it made a big difference but no way would I use it on my 2016 as the finish is new and spray on wipe off products do a great job. To me using Zep or any acrylic floor finish on an RV is a last resort.

Agreed! A very good last resort, but definitely that.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I use 303 primarily on the tires. Never use it on the fiberglass, it might look good, but I have no intention of using it on this big body as often as recommended...Meguire's Cleaner Wax for the body.

Here's what it says on the 303 web site:

"Apply every 3-5 weeks for maximum UV protection."
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Sorry, double post.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
If your going to do the roof here's what I d to save my knees. Go to the dollar store and pick up one or two sponge head mops. Use them to spread the product I use Protect-all and don't even worry about wiping it off. When done just toss the mops in the trash.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Meguiar's D15601 Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax - 1 Gallon
by Meguiar's
$31.99 $ 31 99 Subscribe & Save
Save more with monthly Subscribe & Save deliveries.
$31.99 $ 31 99 Prime

I agree with wildtoad, you do not want to use an acrylic floor polish on your rigs side walls, nose and rear unless it is an older rig very faded from weather. It will work great on your roof however. Use one of the suggested polymer's or waxes on the majority of your RV. I also use the Meguiar's product above as a quick shine up and additional protection after I wash my rig. Turtle Wax has a similar product you can find at Wal Mart that is pretty cheap, I think less than $5 a bottle.
From those of us that have actually use Zep Polish (not a floor wax) I can report that after 3 years the coach looks like the day I put it on and there is no peeling, flaking, yellowing or anything else other than an outstanding shine on this 19-year-old coach. We do add one maintenance coat once a year. All of the naysayers are those that have either never used it or did not prep the coach properly before applying. It is on our decals, painted surfaces, and fiberglass. Our Roof is EPDM and I would not use it on that. There are several coatings made specifically for EPDM roofs including sealers. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #26

I have used acrylic products on my before mentioned black fiberglass boat, though not Zep. So I have some experience with that product type. In my experience I was disappointed with its performance of "peeling" off in spots half way through a summer sitting in the reflecting sun in a boat slip. I stripped off the acrylic product pre-season and then discovered 303. Nothing, nothing kept my black boat looking good for the whole season, May 15 to Oct 15 better than a coat of Nu Finish polymer (wax) then coating over with 303 with touch ups a couple of times a season. If my rig was 19 years old I would not hesitate to use Zep as it has a very good reputation in the RV'ing industry. However, as many posts have stated, if the OP's rig is in good shape and he/she is looking for suggestions on good waxing or polishing products and techniques, then most other products suggested would fit the bill before using Zep.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #27

I have been using a product called Top Coat F1 on my motorcycle and Jeep. I am very pleased with the end result and absolutely amazed at the ease of application. It is without exception the easiest product to apply that I have ever used. Spray it on, wipe it off with a micro-towel. I haven't been using it long enough to have a long term recommendation, but I am going to apply a coat on the RV in the next couple of weeks.

Chief
Seabee Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott423 View Post
I have used 303 on roof twice a year for 3 years and it looks new. I tried it on fiberglass and it didn’t do well. Kinda cloudy. So I use a prep wax as previously mentioned. I use Lucas Oil prep product. Cheap, easy and long lasting shine.
what is the name of the Lucas Oil prep ?
REDEYE50 is offline   Reply With Quote