Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2019, 09:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesimonson View Post
I just did my 45' MH for the first time in the two years of owning my 08. The shine is still very good on it so there wasn't much difference after I completed it but it made the surface MUCH slicker and will likely shed dirt better. I bought two 6' long scaffolds at Menards for $98ea on Black Friday. Stacked they work very well and I was certain I did not want to do this from a ladder. I also have a Meguiar's RA buffer and used Maguiar's Mirror Shine 21 polymer sealant. It took about 32 ounces and 20 hours to do the full coach. It wasn't difficult but it was time consuming. Then.....I took it for its monthly exercise on Minnesota roads in December. The roads were dry but the salt dust clung like a magnet and I had to wipe down the full coach when I returned to my garage. Ugh!

Scaffold link: sold by many places under different brands.

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/l...539-c-7985.htm

The "product" link:

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M216...44562295&psc=1

Wow, $99 was a great find.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2019, 10:02 AM   #30

Yes, I do my own waxing. I use a Harbor Freight Dual action polisher and foam pads to apply whatever wax I'm using at the time, and microfiber clothes to remove by hand. Doesn't take very long at all. I do this once a year, sometimes twice. I'll also occasionally use a spray and wipe wax in between, on the lower sections that get the most dirt.

Not sure what I'm going to do when on the road without a ladder. May switch to wash and wax using a brush and extension pole.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:46 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've had three DP's and waxed the multiple times a year. Now, fifteen years later and terrible knees, I've had to slow down. I do keep the lower half well waxed, at least 4 times a year. One of my secrets, I'm parked on a concrete slab and a use a mechanic's chair and just roll down one entire side with an electric buffer and then move back to the start and wipe off the wax. It takes very little energy siting on the rolling stool.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:32 PM   #32

I am old school, and firmly live by the “if you want it right, do it yourself” school. I do sections at a time, do it a few times a year, so never have to start with a cluster. I do it by hand. I am a classic car collector and do those the same. 🕶
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:51 AM   #33

Thanks so much for all the good info folks! Glad we will be in good company. We are going with the Ryobi 10' orbital buffer and probably a Maguire wax, still working on that product. We appreciate the years of knowledge you have all shared with us!
RockintheRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #34

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just finished my 2016 33ft Coachmen Pursuit. I used Meguiars Flagship cleaner wax to address light oxidation on some parts with an orange Lake Country pad on a harbor Freight dual action polisher. i topped with Turtle Wax Hybrid ceramic wax done by hand. The gel coat looks great and has a deep shine.
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #35

I switched all my vehicles including the motorhome over to Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-wax-easy-use-ceramic-wax-protection-g190526-26-oz

Extremely easy to use, spray it on and rinse it off. It's been lasting several months per application - do a double application first time -. Doing the motorhome is really easy. Wash it then spray this on and rinse it off. Water beads up nicely and it gives everything a nice shine. No more wax on - wax off for me.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:05 PM   #36

Yes takes awhile but I have been using Spray N Shine and it is the best I have found. Easy to put on and then shine . Holds up great...
normburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:25 PM   #37

Turtle wax products

I was going to use Zep Floor Polish. I studied it but had second thoughts when I thought about the labor required to REMOVE it .

Then I did more research about what Car Show people do. They certainly aren't going to put floor wax on their expensive vehicle.

I found a lot of them Raving about these new Turtle Wax products. Ya I know but They are unbelievable awesome.

First I bought a cheap buffer and used Turtle wax Speed buffing compound. You dont need a buffer but it works great with one.

Then I applied a coat of the Turtle Wax Seal N Shine. WOW that is one awesome product. Just Spray it on and wipe. EASY..

made my paint look better than new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	333.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	271451   Click image for larger version

Name:	212.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	271452  

AlfredNeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #38

Waxing

After a few years doing it myself, I had the coach ceramic coated. Best thing I ever done. Just pressure wash every other month. Bird poop doesn’t even stick
floridakraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:02 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2001 Dutch Star...
A good washing with Dawn...
Followed by a rub down with Turtle wax scratch remover...
Then apply 303 UV protection...
I have done 1/2 with the 303 & amazed how the DS looks after a few months...
Bought the 303 for the tires but also good for the fiberglass...
Trick is apply a small amount on a small surface & rub for a shine...
If you use to much 303 then it will streak...
Going to do the AC covers also...
Not sure about the roof itself...
We are under an oak tree & the DS has a green look after awhile... :(
Bob
Note.... the 303 will not stain the decals, will make them look new...

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:18 PM   #40

I have decal-type color stripes on my 2003 Monaco. How do you all avoid damaging / staining these decals while polishing? I got Meguires on a couple of mine and it appears it will be there permanently. Looks terrible.
NO ETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #41

Waxing

I bought an adjustable and rolling scaffolding that I use to pull/push myself around the higher areas.
I use a pneumatic palm buffer to apply my wax/sealer, and use electric buffer to buff out.
I bought everything I use from Griot’s. The scaffolding was purchased at Lowe’s.
I usually do one side per day, including front and rear of my 40’ diesel coach.
The third day is dedicated to polishing my wheels.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
I use turtle wax car wash. I will apply it with an extension pole (with pad on pole). If the rig is not dirty, I don't spray water, I just put a towel on the pole & wipe off the residue.

Dampen Pad, put concentrate car wash on pad, apply car wash to rig...clean pad between sections applied.

Doesn't take long, lasts pretty good , easy to do at the end of travel day.