Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2020, 04:57 AM   #57

A lot of aches and pain

When I had my 30 foot Bounder, I could wash it in about 2+ hours. However, with the 36 foot Gulfstream, it takes about 2 hours to do one side and either a front or back. So I spread it over 2 days, because climbing up and down the ladder and using the brush to clean the RV with detergent is hard on shoulders and back. I've never waxed my Bounder or my Gulfstream. The paint is too faded and I'm not sure it would make it look any better. Maybe after a new paint job. I was refueling the Gulfstream yesterday in the driveway (ran up to gas station with two 5 gallon containers) and noticed that it needs a wash again. Washed it last June 2019, but it's got grime and slight algae buildup from the rains. I usually hurt for 2 day after washing the unit. Not looking forward to it.
vadertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2020, 05:21 AM   #58

Try Torque Detail. Coach stays cleaner longer. Very pricey, but awesome stuff! I apply with small cotton towels and polish with a microfiber towel.
Jeff1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:10 AM   #59

I've been using New Finish both paste and liquid for 14 years now and my Safari Gazelle still looks like new. I must admit it takes me a week and a ladder to do it.
05SafGaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #60

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Neighbor kid and $100 bill. Works beautifully, but I do sit nearby and watch.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #61

2004 Newmar Dutch Star Wash, no Wax

When we are at home base I use:
Soft Brush on an commercial grade extension pole. (Used to wash the Aluminum siding on my house since 1974)

5 Gallon Bucket with Dawn Dish Soap.

Power Washer with low pressure soaping nozzle.

Low pressure nozzle for rinsing.

Takes about three hours and my shoulders are shot when I'm done.

When in the neighborhood of Clewiston FL we use Clewiston Tank Wash. They are a private company that focuses on washing Juice tankers for transporting the various citrus juices processed in the area. They use food grade chemicals for all their washing and their wash racks have gantry's that extend over the top of the tanks (Motor Home) to access the roof.

When we purchased our bus in 2017 we had a coating applied to the paint that caries a 5 year warrantee. It was a little pricy but has turned out to be a good investment. The heavy dew we experience especially in Florida rinses a lot of road dust right off the bus.
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #62

Wash & Wax in stages

Having a Newmar with gelcoat I only Wax 1 time a year . And like others I do it in stages .
My finish of choice is Nu Finish and I apply and remove by hand
Old 01-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockintheRV View Post
What tools do you use and does anyone take this on themselves?
Yes. A ladder and elbow grease.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Have had Diesel Pushers for over 20 years and have never waxed any of them, it's just not necessary. Most RV paint jobs are topped off with Gelcoat which is basically a clear coating. Waxing the coating serves absolutely no purpose. In fact, depending on the wax you use you may actually damage the clear coat with scratches etc. The simplest, easiest, least labor intensive, and least expensive way of cleaning your RV and keeping it's paint surface shinny and always looking like new is to wash with a mild detergent like baby shampoo and then rinse with de-ionized water. I use a C R Spotless Water System and it works like a charm. Wash, rinse and let the rig air dry (that's right, air dry), either in the shade or in direct sunlight. The rig will dry spot free, without streaks and will look like a showroom wax job. The water system comes in a variety of models and is not that expensive, certainly not more than hiring a team of people to come over and wash and wax the whole thing at about $10 a foot. I wash my rig several times each year and the spotless water system has paid for itself 10 times over and never a need for ladders, buffing wheels, wax and hours of effort. Give it some thought! Wax is just not needed and it comes with a totally unnecessary amount of physical labor.
Can you tell us where you obtained the C R Spotless Water System?
rljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #65

I use a Porter Cable 7424xp polisher/buffer with Meguiar's "50" Marine/Rv Cleaner Wax.
The Porter Cable polisher/buffer (random orbit) is a man eater - take your time, about 2 hours at a time; good Utube videos on best practices; I use orange pad if lots of oxidation, and then blue pads for final waxing. Does a great job.
myersn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #66

Waxing

I have a 2017 Newmar and just used Wolfgangs paint sealant. Easy to use and the finish is excellent. Water runs off in sheets. Very good product.
Shell Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #67

Polishing RV

Newer RVs should have clear coat over the paint job, therefore polishing that clear coat is much better than putting wax on top of it. I met a fellow with a 10 year old coach that had used ProtectAll from Camping World. His coach looked like new. I've used it ever since (once a year). Hand apply and hand buff before it dries. Excellent product.

Danno
DanSebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #68

Got some good info concerning products to use. I wash and wax my MB Sprinter class c. My issue is bugs and getting them off at up to 10 to 12'. I currently use a 8' ladder which I'm at the second to top rung reaching out over the cab, not a real comfortable feeling.
dennish2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:15 PM   #69

Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax is okay to use on plastic it says so on the front of the bottle. I use exclusively UQW now. It takes me less than 20 minutes to do my RAM Crew Cab. Wipe on wipe off no waiting no buffing, it beads and shines like crazy. Cant comment on how long it lasts since I now do it after I wash the truck probably once a week. I enjoy doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01knight View Post
I'm liking the Meguires Brand of products. Ultimate Car wash first; after it's clean and dryI use Meguires Ultimate Car Wax. I have a good finish to start with so it doesn't take but about half a 16oz bottle to do a 43 footer. I like the plastic handle hand buffer pad kit from Walmart with 4 pads $5. A ladder and 3 days and it shines like new without killing myself; even black streaks wash right off.
Note regarding head lights. My new Tundra owners manual says Do Not Wax headlights with car wax because the petroleum distillates will cause the plastic lens to fog. No more waxing the DP head light lens either.
dennish2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbenoit View Post
When we purchased our bus in 2017 we had a coating applied to the paint that caries a 5 year warrantee. It was a little pricy but has turned out to be a good investment. The heavy dew we experience especially in Florida rinses a lot of road dust right off the bus.
We have had our toad ceramic coated and it is guaranteed for five years and can be extend for an additional five years with the "Part B" re-applied. Intend on doing the Foretravel the same way. A bit pricy, but with age, effort, and traveling, what is it worth to you?
master2301 is offline   Reply With Quote