Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
WD-40

I copied this from a Model A club news letter here in Vancouver,WA.
---------------------------------------------
Tech Tip: WD-40
Water Displacement #40. The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts. Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you. When you read the "shower door" part, try it. It’s the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It’s a miracle! Then try it on your stovetop… Voila! It is now shinier than it’s ever been. You’ll be amazed. Here are some of the uses:
  1. Protects silver from tarnishing
  2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.
  3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
  4. Gives floors that ‘just-waxed’ sheen without make it slippery.
  5. Keeps flies off cows.
  6. Restores and cleans chalkboards.
  7. Removes lipstick stains
  8. Loosens stubborn zippers.
  9. Untangles jewelry chains.
  10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
  11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
  12. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
  13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.
  14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
  15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
  16. Keeps scissors working smoothly.
  17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.
  18. It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor. Use WD-40 It doesn’t seem to harm the finish and you won’t have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
  19. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40.
  20. Gives a children’s play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
  21. Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.
  22. Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
  23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
  24. Spraying on umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
  25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
  26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
  27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
  28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
  29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
  30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
  31. Removes splattered grease on stove.
  32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
  33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
  34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
  35. Removes all traces of duct tape.
  36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
  37. Florida’s favorite use is: "cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers".
  38. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bate or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it’s a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose.
  39. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
  40. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with clean rag.
  41. If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.
P.S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL
ied this from a Model A club news letter here in Vancouver,WA.
---------------------------------------------
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Larry what Model " Model A" do you own? Back in the late 50s my uncle bought a 30 5 window rumble seat coupe, over the next couple of years he restored it and in 62 won a national first at the Hershey show. We went on a lot of trips in that coupe up and down the east coast with the Delaware Valley chapter of the Model A club. Many great memories as a young teenager. Learned to drive on the grass at Hershey. If I do say so myself I was the best mechanic in the club. My Uncle John and I would ride at the end of the line of cars, if someone broke down we would stop and I would get them back on the road.
They are the working mans antique auto. Have fun they are great cars.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good list, and it has been updated quite a bit from the one I got several years ago even though some of those items I have replaced using the WD-40 with a silicon spray. It also makes a good hand cleaner when I've been out working on the '65. My suggestion is keep a can of both in the garage and in the RV.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
#36 Pain reliever.
I was in Taos NM, at an Auto Parts store when an Indian walked in, went over to the shelf with the WD 40. They proceeded to remove the cap and sprayed some on their elbow, then left the store. I had seen this on a number of other occasions and wondered what was going on. I decided to call the manufacture of WD 40 to find out about these percieved healing powers.
It turns out that WD 40 contains DMSO that is the penatrent in the stuff. I was told that it contained only a tiny amount and would be surprised that bit would remove pain.
I've tried it a couple of times and it seemed to work for me soooo who knowes ?
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #5

Ive used it for a while to remove brush marks from my truck after off roading. Its the only thing that does it effortlessly.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #6

it seems to do good at stoping them tiny little p__s ants from entering around water and sewer lines when in a park, also keeps them away from the picknick table by spraying all around the legs
N.W.Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote