Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #15

IMO backing is much like sex... most everyone does it... some do it better...some have more fun with it.....(and apparently some like to watch).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The paddles are a good thought.. I must admit that for this old farm boy it's been a major source of entertainment... Sometimes I help but some folks... Do not wish for assistance "I can do it myself".. Ok, I can (usually) but I never turn down help if it's offered.

Fact: one day I'm backing my class A onto a site, Now directly across the road was a paved "Wash" where I could turn onto it then back straight up. So zip, zowie, I'm on the site... Woman (First time RVer) on site next to me is talking to her hubby telling him how he should see how easy I made it look.

Let's see, class a (not a trailer) makes it easier to back up

Pull forward onto wash, back straight in, don't get easier than that

Grew up on a dairy farm backing trailers around curves and everything else,, Lots of experience with REVERSE.

yup, I made it look easy. But then it was.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
IMO backing is much like sex... most everyone does it... some do it better...some have more fun with it.....(and apparently some like to watch).
If you swing a hammer long enough eventually you can hit the nail right on the head.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #18

I alway said I was "Backup Challenged"!
Never quite got th nack of backing a FIVER!
Now a 41' MH. 99% of the time first time.
See sig.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I must confess I have watched from inside behind tinted windows, and out the windshield sunscreen, and from sitting in the chair outside, several folks over the years trying to back in to their campsite.

I never would laugh out loud, but enjoy the interaction between DH and DW when they start getting irritated at each other and their volume levels increase.

We are truly twisted to have these little enjoyments, but I would never outright laugh at anyone and would offer assistance at any time as well....tee hee.....

I get a kick out of car/pickup drivers that come up to a stop sign and turned right too tight, causing the rear tire to ride up on the curb (you see it at many drive through lanes in banks too) and jerk the car around and nearly scare the driver to pieces. I'm so twisted....LOL

I too grew up on the farm and was backing trailers with the tractor, and truck, and horsetrailers, so I've got enough experience to keep myself out of a bad situation, hopefully, but you know what they say, what goes around comes around....
Old 05-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #20

Several years ago, a group of us were set up in a large parking area at a trail head. We had 'circled' the MH's (5 of us) and were all set up. About day two a tractor and low boy came into the area to pick up a dozer that was there and needed to get into the loading ramps that were built there. The driver came over to our MH's and told us that one of the MH's needed to be moved so that he could back in to the ramp. Well as anyone knows breaking down and moving a MH is not something that you do in a few minutes. There was about 60' between our MH and the ramp, which should be plenty of room to back into. I suggested to the driver that he had plenty of room and we would act as spotters to help him out. He got a little upset about this and stated that if we did not move the MH that he was going to call the park ranger and have him tell us to move the MH. That is when things got interesting, and I informed the driver that I taught CDL drivers training and that if he could not back the tractor/trailer into the ramp, that I would be more then willing to do it for him. He got his 'hackles up', stomped away and back the tractor/trailer in to the ramp with out any issues. He was just being a pain and was attempting to push us around.

Backing is an 'art' and people just need to practice it more often.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #21

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
You my friend are one sick individual.

How could you possibly get enjoyment from another persons frustration.

or lack of knowledge or lack of planing or lack of being schooled on the finer this in life.

If you can help out do so. If they want to be jerks sit back and smile with the others.

Always try and pay it forward and "For Gods sake, be human".
Count me as "sick" and "inhuman."

I love to watch the boat ramp on a Sunday afternoon. Why?

To see just how much stupidity is created by the use of alcohol. They richly deserve every problem they encounter.

I do appreciate their contribution to my amusement for a few hours.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Now that is funny!

And when alcohol is involved, there are no rules on not laughing as far as I'm concerned!

LOL

Old 05-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ray,IN,
Actually, your 40' 5er is easier to back in than my 30' 5er. The reason for that is the longer wheelbase of the trailer makes it respond a little slower, so you can correct with the TV better.
I had one site in Ohio at an Army Corps of Engineer park that I had a fit getting into, had to back in on the right side, and there was a big tree on the corner, then the icing on the cake, there was a dumpster right where my left front fender needed to be. I finally had to move the dumpster to give me enough room to back in. After I got it in where I wanted, then had an adult beverage and laughed about it. This would have been a 10 paddle rating.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Classmate of mine told this supposed to be true story. And knowing his father.. I can believe it was true.

They are watching a rookie truck driver trying to back into a dock with a sidewalk superintendent assisting, and not doing well, tight alley type approach to dock. A police officer is directing traffic.

Now ED (The father) was a businesman, Owned part of a truck stop back home in (How many of you have heard of TEKONSHA.. yup, that's were).

Well finally Ed has seen enough, and approaches the sidewalk Super and suggests "Have him pull straight out and back straight in" the SS goes balistic' What do you know about driving a truck, you're just a tourist with you necktie on"

The officer approached Ed and ask if he might be able to back it in,, Ed told him what the SS said, and the officer repeated his orignial question. Ed said he'd give it a try.

Now: you have to understand, The Te-Kon truck stop is the pattern for all these super cater to trucker truck plazzas across the nation T/A, Flying J/Pilot, Loves All based on the Te-Kon. Before the Te-Kon truck stops were usually a roadside diner with a fuel pump and a large parking lot,< AND many treated truckers as 2nd or 3rd class (After all they are just passing through) yes, they are, and they will be again soon. So Ed, with 40 years of driving under his belt, teamed with a local farmer, and a local barber, and opened the first FULL SERVICE truck stop.> Fuel, Tires, Food, Showers, and more. and when it gets busy, TRUCKERS ONLY.

He pulled it straight out and backed it straight in,, Just like he'd been doing it for... Well, 40 years, which of course, he had.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #25

All too happy to be one of the sick ones too. We have a busy boat landing that's within a very easy quick walk of where I've lived for a very long time. I have gotten so good at not laughing (visibly) I've bruised my ribs (from the inside) trying to remain silent....

I can relate to the Sunday afternoon traffic, but it gets much better in the evening, after a few more hours spent at the beach or out on the water? Best though, by a huge margin, is when you add an approaching thunderstorm to the equation. Now that's entertainment at it's finest! To top even that? Same scenario on a holiday weekend. Now that's a serious grin! The whole neighborhood might get involved in something like that....

Ever see someone retrieve a personal watercraft, using a lifted pickup, by just backing it in? For those that haven't witnessed, they do float for a minute....

Sheriff's deputies trying to retrieve their boat in full dress uniform, including shoes? Holding up traffic to the point they created quite a back up? Neither wanted to be the one to remove his shoes, so I did!

Walking the dogs one fall day, I witnessed a Piper Cub on floats approaching the boat landing a few inches off the ICE. He landed, and instead of slowing quickly as he was expecting, a VERY embarrassed pilot said it felt like the plane accelerated when it touched down. He had no clue the lake was frozen as ice had just formed and was clear, plus, the lake he had just come from (where he kept the plane) had not frozen. Good thing it was fall and he was the only one there that day. The plane skidded up the ramp and made it about 40' past the waterline. What a racket! No apparent damage though. FWIW, the ramp is near an access road to the nearby airport. Local guys bring their planes through here twice a season to add or remove their floats.

So, if someone wants to get this organized with some judging rules in place, please holler!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #26

How many "boat goes or divorce" issues have been started when the husband told the wife (yelled at) that she had no clue what she was doing when backing up the boat trailer to pick the boat up! Same could be asked about backing up to hook up the trailer!
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #27

my pick up has blue tooth built in, so DW can give directions over her phone without screaming! much better
Old 05-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool Bob

But does she know you have a volume control to shut her off?

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote