Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Weigh stations and DOT officers only issue tickets against your DOT# commercial account. If you are not commercial, then you won't have a DOT account to have citations issued against.
Weigh Stations are a lot more than just checking vehicle axle weights. They perform level 1,2,3 inspections and will issue citations for things like non working lights, tires less than 2/32 thread, straps with 1/4" tears in them, brake wear inspections, log book violations, and anything related to the operation of a commercial vehicle.
Every station should have a meth sniffing dog. Or will the drivers B O over power the dogs sense of smell?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #16

Not to hijack the thread but.......are weigh stations good with a pu and travel trailer stopping to get weighed?
Old 11-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #17

So those that think DOT has no authority over recreational vehicles, do you use the same excuse when the propane refill station will not refill your propane tanks, due to being out of date? Do you import tire from mexico, that are not DOT rated? And, why does anybody even ask if the in bed transfer tanks are legal, after it is recreational use? Does everybody get to pick and choose which laws they want to obey?

Yes, many federal laws do not apply, but a ton still do. Also, most weigh stations are manned by state highway patrol, or the equivalent. Most state laws do not exempt RV's.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Weigh stations and DOT officers only issue tickets against your DOT# commercial account. If you are not commercial, then you won't have a DOT account to have citations issued against.
A lot of drivers would love to believe that, especially after having to pay thou$and$ in fines, against their drivers license.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrktfsh View Post
Not to hijack the thread but.......are weigh stations good with a pu and travel trailer stopping to get weighed?

No they are not . Unless they are closed and leave the scale reader on like in Oregon ,they don't want you in the middle of their "business"
The scales exist to check $ compliance for commercial vehicles. Yes they also fine drivers on their license not just the trucks DOT. They aren't interested in Pvt use rv's I've been in the coop when some RV has gone through ... You wouldn't like what they are saying about you ... And I'm talking about the officers. Will a state cop pull some obviously overweight hazard " Jethro" in to a nearby scale ? Maybe. But as a retired Truck driver I can say you aren't welcome in the scale line.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
So those that think DOT has no authority over recreational vehicles, do you use the same excuse when the propane refill station will not refill your propane tanks, due to being out of date? Do you import tire from mexico, that are not DOT rated? And, why does anybody even ask if the in bed transfer tanks are legal, after it is recreational use? Does everybody get to pick and choose which laws they want to obey?

Yes, many federal laws do not apply, but a ton still do. Also, most weigh stations are manned by state highway patrol, or the equivalent. Most state laws do not exempt RV's.

Now that we have in highway weighting I think it is a game changer. I think the max highway weights by federal law can be enforced. You don't have to pull in and get inspected but you still have to abide by Federal Weight Limits assigned to the roads and bridges. Here is the change to DOT Federal Regulation that changed the Motorhome to 24,000-pound max axle weights to protect our bridges and highways. I qoute:

"Change in Law for Motor Home Axle Weight on National Network Highways

Effective October 1, 2012

In 2011, Congress passed the Moving Ahead towards Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21; Public Law 112-141), which re-authorized U.S. transportation programs, including those for highway and bridge building, maintenance and improvement. As part of that bill, the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA), with the help of the Indiana Congressional delegation, was successful in obtaining an exception to the federal law that limits vehicle weight on roads and bridges (the “bridge formula.”) The amendment provides an exception, which is the same as the bus industry has had for several years, that permits motorhomes to carry up to 24,000 lbs. on a single axle (previously limited to 20,000 lbs.).

Sec. 1522 of MAP-21requires that states, effective October 1, 2012, allow any motorhome equipped with the new axle weight to travel on the National Network (NN) of highways, which includes interstate highways and state-designated routes that provide reasonable access for travelers to food, fuel, repairs and rest."
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #21

I've posted before about this, but some states DO require all vehicles over XXXX amount of weight get in the scale line. As pointed out earlier in this thread, that's up to the state, not USDOT.

As for citations against a DOT number and not individual drivers... uh... As Col Potter used to say on MASH, "Horse Hockey." Pull in with a defective vehicle or overweight and the DRIVER is cited and in many jurisdictions the driver must pay the fine before re-taking the road. It's no coincidence that many weigh stations have the same credit card machine the truck stop fuel desk has... My first encounter with this was on I-65 in Tennessee, just south of the Kentucky state line. I wasn't cited for anything but while I was there I saw a number of commercial drivers lining up to pay their fines.

And not to disparage any of our retired L.E.O. folks, but the Weight Cops are going to do whatever they know or think they can get by with, knowing that 99% of drivers will not be able to appear in court to challenge the citation.

So if the sign says "all vehicles over 20,000 lbs must stop" I suggest you do so if your CVW or RV weighs that much or more. Better to be waived through than chased and stopped.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #22

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Every station should have a meth sniffing dog. Or will the drivers B O over power the dogs sense of smell?

Wow.
I didn’t realize there were so many stinky meth head truck drivers on the road.
Thanks for enlightening me.
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjinor View Post
no they are not . Unless they are closed and leave the scale reader on like in oregon ,they don't want you in the middle of their "business"
the scales exist to check $ compliance for commercial vehicles. Yes they also fine drivers on their license not just the trucks dot. they aren't interested in pvt use rv's i've been in the coop when some rv has gone through ... you wouldn't like what they are saying about you ... And i'm talking about the officers. Will a state cop pull some obviously overweight hazard " jethro" in to a nearby scale ? Maybe. But as a retired truck driver i can say you aren't welcome in the scale line.

"git----go on git!"
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Here is the change to DOT Federal Regulation that changed the Motorhome to 24,000-pound max axle weights to protect our bridges and highways. I qoute:

"Change in Law for Motor Home Axle Weight on National Network Highways

That change doe not protect the bridges and highways, in fact, it is worse on them. The change was pushed through first by all the big bus companies, and then after they got it through, The RVIA, pushed to get the same change the bus companies got. Also, as noted, it only applies to the interstate and US highways. Step off more then the distance allowed onto state and county roads, and you can be looking at hefty fines.

An RV dealer here, had to move closer to the interstate, after many costumers and employees, got heavy fines for being over the axle weight limits.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
I've posted before about this, but some states DO require all vehicles over XXXX amount of weight get in the scale line. As pointed out earlier in this thread, that's up to the state, not USDOT.
Can you name one or two of those states that require RV's over xxxx to get in the scale line?
Old 11-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Our weigh stations are operated by the Arkansas Highway Police not DOT. In Arkansas you are supposed to stop if your GCWR or GVWR is over 10,000 lbs whether you are commercial or not. No one does and until they chase me down and tell me I have to I am not stopping.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #27
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Can you name one or two of those states that require RV's over xxxx to get in the scale line?
There are supposedly 20 or so but here is a link to check yours. https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/2006/09/...h-stations-60/
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
So those that think DOT has no authority over recreational vehicles, do you use the same excuse when the propane refill station will not refill your propane tanks, due to being out of date?
I didn't think motorhome propane tanks had an "out of date" date. Can you tell us where to find that date?

Tags
weight