Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Well, Camping World lost a sale on X Chocks

I'm going on a trip in September, going over my list I realized I still need to get a set of X Chocks. My 5er seems really prone to feeling unsteady as you walk through it, rear stabilizers down and all. My wife was walking around inside one day and I realized I could literally see the tires shifting fore and aft. We're going to start there.

I go to Camping World and look, they're on sale for $85 until midnight tonight. Nifty, but my closest CW is closed. I check on ordering, I'm not paying $15 shipping when I will be driving right by there this week, but the price is going up to $118 when the sale ends.

I call, speak to Melanie. "Could I pay for them now and pickup at my local store?"

Nope. I ask if she was sure, confirmed the pricing changing. Well, they lost a sale.

I look on Fleabay, snapped up a new set for $68 shipped. So, ha! I'll have them this week.

BAL x Chock 2 Pack 28012 RV camper Trailer | eBay
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
I rarely buy a CW anymore ...... before the internet days it was a bargin, not so much anymore.
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:44 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
I don't mind supporting my local stores, even if it is a chain. I work with people that are serious ebay sellers, it's a dirty game that really hurts local stores.

But not giving me the local pickup option? Okaaaaayyyyyyyyy.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Very few things in the RV is from an RV store. We can find the same things for cheaper from "normal" stores.
Case in point, we needed to replace the voltage regulator. The previous owners had replaced it for $100 for just the part at an RV shop. We found the same part number at an O'Reily's for about $25. We do our research for where to buy and very rarely is at an RV store. Vary rarely is a part only at an RV store. So many other stores are closer and usually have better prices and hours too.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:00 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
My experience is that about 30% of what a camping store has is really camping store only.

50A to 30A adapters for example.

But check this. My 5er came with a house water filter, just the element itself is $45 for one and is only a particulate filter. Plus the housing is junk, the bowl will unscrew itself and fall off.

I replaced it with a GE Watersmart filter housing, that housing and a two pack of <5 micron charcoal filters was $50 at Home Depot. It's incredible the amazing prices they charge for anything that can get RV stamped on it.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I work with people that are serious ebay sellers, it's a dirty game that really hurts local stores.
Dirty Game .........that I would like to see explained
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The purpose of running a business is to provide a product/service and make a profit doing it. I have no issue with paying them their profit, as long as it's fair.

What I DO have a problem with is a company trying to make an obscene profit. Suppose company A sells an item for $100, and it's a 40 mile round trip to their store. Now suppose company B sells the same product for $70 and delivers it to my door free. Why would I even consider buying it from company A?

Unfortunately, it's a scenario I see on a daily basis, and not just at CW.

I love supporting local business, but I feel no obligation to support a business that has no reservations about ripping me off.
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:49 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
I rarely buy a CW anymore ...... before the internet days it was a bargin, not so much anymore.

oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Dirty Game .........that I would like to see explained
Most eBay sellers are just brokers. I work for a manufacturer, instead of warehousing the product they sell, they sell it to you, then pay to have it dropshipped from my warehouse to your door. They have no overhead plus they skip sales tax which is an immediate 7% handicap to the local guy.

Meanwhile the local brick and mortar is tasked with keeping it on hand, which they paid for, under a roof that costs money, lit by lights that eat money, sold by employees that cost money. Then many folks go to that store, fondle said part in person, leave and go hit eBay.

That's why I call it dirty, it's expected that the local guy will have it so you can check it out but then they're left in the cold at time of purchase.

I try to support the brick and mortar best I can, so long as they're not trying to retire off me as mentioned earlier.

This time they screwed up, an in store pickup option and I'd have gladly gone there and paid the $18 difference. But expect me to pay $15 in shipping instead? I don't think so.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #10

Along with the chocks, shortening the travel of you outriggers by using large blocks of wood or Legos will help remove the shake.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
Along with the chocks, shortening the travel of you outriggers by using large blocks of wood or Legos will help remove the shake.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Once I noticed the tires moving I screwed around with the jacks and seem to have found a sweet spot, but it's still there. I would have gone with braces for the landing gear first but I have hydraulic legs and no easy way to attach the mounts. I've also heard a lot of good things about putting a scissor jack on both frame rails just in front of the spring mounts.

But frankly, it's not that bad. After all it is camping, right?

Tags
camping, sale