Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2021, 08:14 PM   #1

Well here I am 😬😼😕

Ok. I'm learning as we go. Hooked up shore power...no prob. Water I bought a garden hose without thinking. I wanted water pressure ya know ? Yay it's leaking from behind fitting. I have no clue what hose goes where. I'm frustrated. I wasn't prevy how much cleaning it needed, but that's the least of my worries. I don't think hot waters working. I don't know what all these switches are. And it's a long weekend. I'm broke untill next week. I need ideas or hacks to get me through. I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I'm just tired and grumpy. Like I wish I would have known to be better prepared. Oh the previous owner left all there stuff. Nice. No gross! I've already had a good cry. Now I'm ready to be advised friends. I can't tell you what a comfort it is to know that you're there and I can't thank you enough for everything you've helped me with so far so if I don't thank you in the thread it's because I'm overwhelmed just now I do thank you cuz it's been amazing to have this. Oh and the shower it's got like no pressure, comes out trickling. Even with water pump on. What uses gas other than stove? How do you know when it's low? Ok I'm done lol!
Misjudg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2021, 08:24 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
What?

Sounds like you should've spent the recommended 20 hours watching RV how-to videos.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #3

Not much info/details provided
So post:
*RV ---year brand model for starters
*water hose leaking.....where you screw end of hose on (missing/bad washer) or inside behind where you screw hose on loose/broken fitting/line
*water heater.....brand/model
Make sure it is properly valved in (cold inlet OPEN/Bypass Closed/Hot outlet Open---if hot out has a valve...could be juct a check valve)
Open closest faucet Hot side and bleed air out...can take a while if WH Tank is filling (6-10 gals)
Gas/electric model or gas only?
*Gas needs 12VDC to operate and propane valved in
(Gas/electric could also need 12VDC depending on age/brand/model)

Propane Valve---open SLOWLY so the Excess Flow Device doesn't trip.
If you have very limited flow it is tripped. Close Valve/wait 30 seconds/open SLOWLY

Propane.....stove top burners (always light them off on high to help establish propane flow after valving in the propane)
Oven
Water Heater...could be Pilot or Electronic (model dependent)
*If gas/electric...element is 120VAC
Fridge.....electronic ignition (fridge can operate on AC Power also)
*Needs 12VDC for controls
Furnace....Propane and 12VDC

Post back with answers and more info
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:12 PM   #4

If you are in a campground just ask your neighbor to help you set up. He will probably be happy to help.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
If you are in a campground just ask your neighbor to help you set up. He will probably be happy to help.
Thanks,
I'd recommend this, also!

It would be a lot easier to zero in on your immediate problems if we could see in person.

In the meantime, we need to know what kind of RV and year.

Perhaps filling your fresh water tank and using the pump for this weekend. Sometimes the water hookup has slow pressure and using the pump would give you more pressure.

You didn't ask anything about dumping your tanks at the end of the weekend. Hopefully, you won't have problems!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:00 AM   #6

Yup. I should have but between my two jobs and packing and bad luck time got away from me.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:03 AM   #7

Connection went in it's behind the plate where the connector is I mean it's so it's not the for the hose connects it's behind that so I'm thinking is there a washer behind that cuz I can't leave it turned on because it'll just leak so there's thing I can unscrew it and see if it needs one I just can't believe this I'm more worried about setting up my sewage because when I open the thing and pull that all the hoses everything does it just nothing looks correct nothing looks like anything from the videos it's just really frustrating and I'm really angry at my brother for not really looking into that before I moved into this and put me in this position so any thing you could recommend what I'll do is maybe I'll take a picture and send it to you?
Old 07-04-2021, 12:05 AM   #8

You are so kind thank you. It's a 2003 hurricane Triton V10 32 ft. It's actually pretty cool once it's cleaned up I'm just trying to you know get everything dialed in and it's hard to do with your hands tied I'm afraid to leave the water on cuz I don't want it leaking and then I watched a video about this pressure thing that I'm supposed to get and and I'm thinking why didn't my brother like tell me all this so but I should have watched the videos beforehand and it's just been a rough move and I'm just struggling and having a hard time so any advice you can give would be great I can take a picture of some stuff and send it to you I'm at a RV park right now and then it's going to be kind of my permanent home until I find something nicer where I can park I'd like to park up in the woods but it's just too far from my work anyway thank you so much and anything you can suggest
Old 07-04-2021, 12:08 AM   #9

You are the propane tank is LOL and there's all these switches and buttons and I don't know what they're for oh it's giving me a headache I'm giving up for the day though I'm going to pick up back up on it tomorrow
Old 07-04-2021, 01:02 AM   #10

Misjudge. Best advice right now is what you are doing = getting a good nights sleep. Make sure your fresh water tank is reasonably full, pump is switched off for now until you need to use it and your main water is switched off at the faucet! Just in case you don't want to wake up to a headache of leaks in the morning!

So, deep breath and remember the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. I personally would suggest you work on learning one piece of the puzzle at a time. So this rig is new to you, start with the water - using your pump if it's working test each and every faucet and check under the sinks, around toilet, in shower to see if there's any evidence of leaks = that'll make you feel good and one system is out the way. "IF" your water ever smells like rotten eggs, you will need to sanitize your tank with a bleach combination = lots of videos on "how to sanitize your RV fresh water tank" if you need it. Yes always use a water pressure regulator when connecting to the spigot as different places have different pressures and you don't want to blow out your pipework. Also would suggest at minimum a sediment filter attached to protect your RV further especially if connecting to well water supply.

OK, propane you need to find your tank location outside, and there will be an on off near it. Check for leaks/odour, and make sure you have inside a good CO2 detector in working order (check date on this to make sure current and working). You should have a read out monitor on a wall inside, for your tank levels (Black, Grey, Fresh Water) as well usually in that vicinity it will tell you your propane tank level and also often battery main and auxiliary (ours does but every rig is different so ......). Now it's time to get the coffee or hot water on for a cuppa. You should be able to start your stove. If there's air in pipework might take a few attempts. There should be a switch for your hot water heater and it should tell you if "pilot light is out or lit". Tip: There will be a bypass lever in one of your wet bays near your Fresh Water Tank usually, make sure that is in the right position to fill your Water Heater! If for any reason your pilot for that doesn't light, it could be a blockage from bugs or otherwise so go outside and just check the pipe for ignition is clear. Another Tip: Check whether your brand of hot water heater has an anode or not = I was looking for one on ours in the early years and it doesn't LOL. This needs periodically replacing if you do.

Again Youtubes and Google will be your friend in getting to know your rig inside and out, but don't overwhelm yourself. Baby steps, one piece at a time and soon it will all fall into place. Ask about one to three specific things at a time so you can function mentally and work on them. Persistence and patience is key in RV ownership.

Enjoy your new home.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:48 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Your water issue sounds like a bad check valve. Good news is that that assembly is cheap - $10 if so IIRC. We did ours last year. It’s easy to swap out with a new assembly.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy in CDA View Post
Sounds like you should've spent the recommended 20 hours watching RV how-to videos.
Excellent advice! We’ve pulled a TT for 20 years and all was good. Upgraded to a new 5th wheel this year. Lots of new technology and backing in was a concern. Watched hours of vids before our first trip, read the manual twice, printed out checklists for setup and breakdown and read thousands of forum posts. What an education! Really helpful and raised my comfort level pulling the rig, setting it up and troubleshooting issues.
Dakotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:56 AM   #13

Hopefully you are making progress in your learning.

If you only get a trickle out of your shower but the other water works, there may be a button on the shower head that blocks the flow when taking ‘navy’ showers.

The advice to ask a neighbor is great advice. Sometimes it seems like I enjoy working on my rig more than actually camping. I also love solving problems on the fly, if someone came by and asked for help, I would geek out for sure, I just really enjoy doing that kind of stuff. So hopefully you will find someone that is helpful to solve all your problems.

Above all else, prioritize your problems and only think about and solve one problem at a time.

It will get better! You will be a “pro” in no time.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #14

Lots of good but confusing advice above!

I agree with asking for help. This is one of my major faults. I have a hard time asking, but I love to be asked.

Next, taking one system at a time as suggested above is a good strategy.

Pictures posted are worth a 1000 words.

It is good you posted your motor home make and model. You will also need make and model of each appliance. So, make and model of the water heater, etc. There are usually labels on the appliances that list make and model. Again pictures would be helpful.

Search for make and model on the internet. Most will have manuals linked somewhere.

Pictures of control panels are also helpful.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote