Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2021, 07:00 AM   #15

A few years ago i was interested in buying a used
Foretravel. I found a nice one we both liked in
Ark. Went back and forth with the dealer and
Told him i needed to wait for our house to sell.
This was december of 2019. Covid and whatnot.
In march the price of that 2010 FT went up
40,000 dollars. I asked the dealer why? His
Response was it was mkt driven. Winter has
Always been a slow time for rv sales. Best deals
Are usually found this time of year. Perhaps
Things are getting back to normal..
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2021, 07:08 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Maybe some of the covid free ride money has dried up … sales varmints have left their cozy spots under the rocks and returned to the life of buzzardry.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:00 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Funny, was in Ohio driving by the Airstream factory. Noted several lots stacked with hundreds of Airstreams.
I counted 250 on 1 storage lot. The units appeared to have been parked for many months!
Melster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:17 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
I need to check with one of my buddies to see if they have called him. Last time I was at Camping World, I gave them his number.
Ha, you sound like me. When ever we vote and there's a place for a write in candidate I put my wife's name down. Maybe one of these times she'll win.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:31 PM   #19

Was checking our local craigslist for RV items over the weekend, and same can be said here. The site is full of RVs for sale, just like it was in 2019.

Prices were still pretty high though.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Ha, you sound like me. When ever we vote and there's a place for a write in candidate I put my wife's name down. Maybe one of these times she'll win.
I use my wife's phone and email to places I know are gonna hound me. When we were shopping for our last trailer she was constantly getting calls from places where I would fill out the online form to see the prices. She did not think it was as funny as I did. I still do it though for other stuff...I just don't tell her now haha
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Well, at least she didn't tell you that your car warranty was about to expire!
Or they have a medicare supplemtal insurance plan custom tailored for you that will actually pay you money, just sign right hete. ( 'Cause everybody knows insurers are all about losing money).
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
Was checking our local craigslist for RV items over the weekend, and same can be said here. The site is full of RVs for sale, just like it was in 2019.

Prices were still pretty high though.
In economics that's called "sticky prices". For example when the Int. Spot market price for oil drops it takes days to weeks for the price at the pump to drop and then it's rarely equivalent to the wholesale price drop, yet let the spot market price go up by a penny and the price at the pump will go up by a dime at the square of the speed of light. Sellers aren't gping to drop their prices until they fully realize the party is over. Right now they're dreaming ( hoping) they didn't buy high and are now going to have to sell low.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:26 AM   #23

I find it interesting reading about all the dealers loaded up with units they can't get rid of. Having just bought a new unit a couple weeks ago, I can tell you that has not been my experience.

Looked at some units and then just a few days later they disappear. Eventually found what we wanted (2023 grand Design Imagine) and traded in our 2019 class A gas Newmar Canyon Star.

When we first looked at the particular GD model we wanted, Lazydays in Tampa had 4 on the lot. Went back the next weekend to do the deal and they only had one left. Made the deal and 5 days later they sold our Newmar to a person who flew all the way from South Dakota to pick it up.

Just doesn't seem to add up that dealers can't move units. Maybe my experience is just an isolated example.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:25 PM   #24

Camping World as an organization is slimy. However they have some nice people. Case in point when I was trying to sell my prior coach I gave CW a try - they said thanks but no. Then later that day the person I was dealing with calls to say a friend of his would be interested who in turn ended up buying it.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I find it interesting reading about all the dealers loaded up with units they can't get rid of. Having just bought a new unit a couple weeks ago, I can tell you that has not been my experience.

Looked at some units and then just a few days later they disappear. Eventually found what we wanted (2023 grand Design Imagine) and traded in our 2019 class A gas Newmar Canyon Star.

When we first looked at the particular GD model we wanted, Lazydays in Tampa had 4 on the lot. Went back the next weekend to do the deal and they only had one left. Made the deal and 5 days later they sold our Newmar to a person who flew all the way from South Dakota to pick it up.

Just doesn't seem to add up that dealers can't move units. Maybe my experience is just an isolated example.

Pretty sure they dealer share inventory which spreads those 3 units across a much larger selling area. Around here the units have been sitting since late summer and the big sales and discounts are back to pre covid levels. Private sellers are still trying to get what they paid or more, best of luck to them.
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 02:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
We're currently shopping for a 5er to replace the one we lost last fall to flooding. It's still a nightmare trying to deal so dealerships are still trying to take advantage of the hot market. We're in no hurry so time is on our side. I'm really hoping we get the leverage soon.
Yesterday we looked at one. When it came number talk time they basically took their asking price and added tax and that was the "out the door price". I countered with what I thought was a low-ball offer that was MSRP - 25% out the door. They came back at $1000 less than their first offer which worked out to msrp - 19%. We left.
You did the right thing. If you're not prepared to walk away ( and they know it) you have no position from which to negotiate, first one to blink loses. Stby, they'll likely cave and if not, they don't have the RV market cornered.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
In economics that's called "sticky prices". For example when the Int. Spot market price for oil drops it takes days to weeks for the price at the pump to drop and then it's rarely equivalent to the wholesale price drop, yet let the spot market price go up by a penny and the price at the pump will go up by a dime at the square of the speed of light. Sellers aren't gping to drop their prices until they fully realize the party is over. Right now they're dreaming ( hoping) they didn't buy high and are now going to have to sell low.
100% agree. With the addition that some people cant afford to sell because they are underwater.

Been watching a Tiffin sit for $105,000 since June. They haven't budged on price.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 02:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
100% agree. With the addition that some people cant afford to sell because they are underwater.

Been watching a Tiffin sit for $105,000 since June. They haven't budged on price.

There's a 10 yr old small winnebago class C with no slides for sale in town on someones front lawn, its up for 80K and has been for sale over a year.

Makes you wonder how many truly reasonable offers the owner has rejected in that time frame
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote