Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2023, 04:32 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
This last storm killed my car. The rain was so intense it overwhelmed the sunroof and cowling drains and flooded the front control area near the battery and the driver's side floor. The rear control module is under the driver's seat and got submerged. I live well above any flood areas and the car was closed up tight.

This rain is heavy, intense, and ongoing. Check everything, including any drain rails or ports, cleaning them like the gutters on your house.

Stay dry everyone.
What make/model of car was that?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2023, 05:05 PM   #16

We live in the Pacific NorthWest , about a mile from the Puget Sound .

Not uncommon during the Winter for us to have storms with 50+ mph winds and 3-5 inches of rain .

During storms , I park our MH with the front pointing into the wind direction , parking away from our trees ( 90' tall Cedar trees ) and away from any unsecured potential projectiles .

A MH is designed to take wind and weather on the front , and pointing it into the wind significantly reduces surface area and eliminates a chance of blow over .

I will also move the MH if the wind direction changes during the storm , to keep it facing into the wind .

I also unplug Shore Power to prevent damage to the electrical system if the Power is interrupted .

I've never had damage to the MH from a storm .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:55 PM   #17

Don't know about your CA storms but I do know about preparing for hurricanes.

It is similar for a bouse as it is for a RV.

Assume that the power will be cut.

Make sure that your batteries are charged up & inverter or generator are ready for use.

Fill the water tank plus anything else that will hold water.

Bee sure that holding tanks are empty before the storm,

Retract awning & put everything outside away before the storm.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:05 PM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
We're in the northeast and got hammered before Christmas. It was bad enough in an all brick house. I couldn't imagine what it would be like in the RV, out in the open. These bomb cyclone storms are wicked. If I were out, I'd try to get away from it if possible. Everyone certainly had enough notice.
Old 01-07-2023, 06:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
What make/model of car was that?

2006 Porsche 911. I removed the offending module this morning, cracked it open and found this. I have another on the way.
The water came down in such volumes it overran the drains that were partially blocked with leaves and debris. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9452.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	383986
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Stock up on more applesauce. Who knows what all it is good for?
Lol. Cracking up!
Old 01-07-2023, 11:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioP View Post
Here’s an 18 wheeler wind chart, it should be similar for an RV.
https://www.truckingtruth.com/trucke...actor-trailers
Thank you!
Old 01-07-2023, 11:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
Get pics & file an insurance claim. I start looking for a parking place at about 30 mph winds.
Thanks so much!
Old 01-07-2023, 11:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Eternabond tape should seal where the roof is lifting. It's expensive but it works. Clean the area the best you can. Get placement right the first time. It's extremely sticky, that's why it works. It also means if you touch the corner of the tape to the roof it's there for good and you're not going to have much luck twisting it around. No wrinkles, they can leak.

Once nature gets wound up an RV isn't real good shelter, moving is your best option. A big obstruction between you and the wind, no trees or anything light that can blow around.
Where do I find the tape? Should I wait and let it dry out 1st? Thank you!
Old 01-07-2023, 11:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ-Chris View Post
If I were you, my #1 priority would be stopping water from entering the RV. You mentioned your windows leak and the skylight is gone.

I'm in the Bay Area. Right now we've got a pause in the rain/wind. I suggest you caulk around all your windows (where the trim hits the RV siding) with something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-DYNA...8211/302949855

You can pick a color that is close to your RV siding color. Apply a bead around the edge, then use your finger to smooth it out and it can come out very professional looking.

Probably more important is your missing skylight. Does that mean that rain is just pouring into your RV??? If water that is pooling up on your roof can run into your missing skylight area, then you need to cover the entire RV roof. Get some large tarps from Home Depot or Lowes or Walmart and some rope and get that roof sealed.
If there is still a lip on the roof skylight opening that prevents pooling water to run into your skylight, then you can get away with a much smaller tarp (or even a heavy duty 33 gallon garbage bag) and you can put it over your open skylight and then put bricks or sand bags around the edges to hold it down in the wind. I suppose if you needed to you could Eternabond tape the edges to really hold it down, but you likely will never get that tape removed when you do get around to fixing the problem later.

If the water is causing the larger issue you mention about bubbling/etc, then a tarp to keep rain off the entire roof is what I would do asap. Then hunker down and wait for the storms to pass. After these storms, we might not get rain for years (...lol) so you will have time to make proper repairs.

Note: You won't be able to drive with these tarps/etc on. So find a place you can park for the next 2 weeks. Get more cake mix too (and eggs).

#1: Stop water from entering your RV. Otherwise it will soon be ruined.

Where in the Bay Area are you?

-Chris
Hi thanks. I covered the skylight with some plastic. And when I climbed on the roof and I was doing that I noticed where the roof was lifting but that's why the water sleeping in the window is cuz it's leaking in the side of the RV I'm so upset about it it's not even funny so I'm going to cover everything now but I'm boondocking so it's hard cuz it's you know hard to get up there and all somebody ladder got damaged so it's kind of tricky getting up there. I am just wondering why the windows were sleeping and now I see why cuz it's leaking down into the wall so I need to get it dried out too. But thank you for all the information I do appreciate it I'm learning as I go cuz I got absolutely no help from my brother except a headache. But like it or not this is my home and you know she's grown on me so I'm not going to abandon her and she's all I got. I'm on the peninsula in the Redwood City area right now I am bounce around this area a little bit but I got laid off recently so I've been pretty much in Redwood City but I occasionally I sneak out for a little bit while I'm looking for another job. It's been one thing after another. Where are you at?
Old 01-07-2023, 11:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ-Chris View Post
If I were you, my #1 priority would be stopping water from entering the RV. You mentioned your windows leak and the skylight is gone.

I'm in the Bay Area. Right now we've got a pause in the rain/wind. I suggest you caulk around all your windows (where the trim hits the RV siding) with something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-DYNA...8211/302949855

You can pick a color that is close to your RV siding color. Apply a bead around the edge, then use your finger to smooth it out and it can come out very professional looking.

Probably more important is your missing skylight. Does that mean that rain is just pouring into your RV??? If water that is pooling up on your roof can run into your missing skylight area, then you need to cover the entire RV roof. Get some large tarps from Home Depot or Lowes or Walmart and some rope and get that roof sealed.
If there is still a lip on the roof skylight opening that prevents pooling water to run into your skylight, then you can get away with a much smaller tarp (or even a heavy duty 33 gallon garbage bag) and you can put it over your open skylight and then put bricks or sand bags around the edges to hold it down in the wind. I suppose if you needed to you could Eternabond tape the edges to really hold it down, but you likely will never get that tape removed when you do get around to fixing the problem later.

If the water is causing the larger issue you mention about bubbling/etc, then a tarp to keep rain off the entire roof is what I would do asap. Then hunker down and wait for the storms to pass. After these storms, we might not get rain for years (...lol) so you will have time to make proper repairs.

Note: You won't be able to drive with these tarps/etc on. So find a place you can park for the next 2 weeks. Get more cake mix too (and eggs).

#1: Stop water from entering your RV. Otherwise it will soon be ruined.

Where in the Bay Area are you?

-Chris
Re reading this gives me so much! Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2023, 12:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
A lot of the time, if the rain/wind is blowing and coming down hard, the rain can blow back into the weep holes on the windows. If the water is in the window trough, it's probably being blown in from the outside.

You probably need to get something over the skylight hole to protect it until it can be fixed. We're going to have rain on and off until the end of the month, which is desperately needed in California.

With that said, when California gets a rainstorm, the news/media makes it sound like a category 5 hurricane hit. I'm guessing that pretty much everyone else in the country is laughing at us getting a little rain.
You got me laughing on this one LOL. I'm born and raised in California and I'm very well aware how spoiled we are. However as a California standards it hasn't been as bad as when we had last year but it's been pretty pretty decent storm. And thank you for the information. I have family in Texas so I've been in a few real doozies and a tornado and I also have been in Guam during a hurricane so yes I will take our rain storms in California before I take on any hurricanes or tornadoes LOL! You so totally Rock and thank you!
Old 01-08-2023, 12:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
We are getting pummeled here in the SC Midlands with very high winds, tornadoes, freeze/thaws opening up huge potholes in our fine red dirt roads and eggs at $8.00/dozen!
I'm telling you baking that cake was the best distraction I could have done because it sounds like we're getting hit with golf balls and my cats were tripping so I turned up the music baked a cake didn't have eggs there was no way in hell I was driving to the store for eggs. So I looked online and it said a quarter cup of applesauce for every large egg and it wasn't real crumbly it didn't stay together like a cake normally does but I'll tell you what it was good turned out really good it was double chocolate cake with the cream cheese frosting I highly recommend it! You hang in there be careful I've been in a tornado and I've been in a hurricane so my heart goes out to you I'll be thinking good thoughts.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
Down here in the South Bay Area, and we had over 1.5" from Thursdays storm with 15mph sustained winds. Our RV is holding firm. Check her and ne leaks or wet smells inside.
As others have said, get a tarp and seal the skylight. Harbor freight has tarps, of Lowes, Home Depot or Outside Supply Hardware is out. If you did not get her water tight today, the next break in the storms is Sunday.
As for winds, we normally pull her over and park once we crest 30-35mph. We had to drive through some massive storms on Christmas Eve 2018 coming from Yosemite. You can do it, just hold that wheel tight.
Well thank you so much neighbor I do appreciate it like I said this is learning experience it's my second year with this thing and like I said she's all I've got she's all I've got right now it's been a rough couple of years and I will I'll stay tough and hold tight on to that steering wheel. You be good and safe out there!

Tags
california, led