Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
They must be allowed to be imported, how else did we end up with our current opposition leader? Bwahahahahaha
Good one!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
So nice to see that Canuck lawmakers are as clueless as the US variety.
I think it unlikely that any western country and few if any others will allow (legal) entry of a non-human primate kept as a pet, especially singly. (There is of course a lucrative smuggling trade in monkeys and other primates)

Also, and for animal-welfare reasons, many countries very severely restrict the conditions under which non-human primates can be (legally) kept at all by private persons. In Great Britain, for example, one must obtain a special license, the requirements for which can be found at this link.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Well, I got fed up with having to cover the MH and shuffle back and forth to our little apt. Was beginng to feel like a pak mule,,,,
So bought a garage for the rig and it happened to come with a place to live. The climate in Osoyoos is more appealing than AB also.

Cactus Flats Storage Townhomes, Osoyoos, BC: Storage
Congrats on the move, Osoyoos is a great place to live
Another Albertan flees the cold!!
We left last summer and wound up back in Chilliwack BC. We moved to Alberta for four years, What were we thinking. I only shoveled an inch of snow once this winter.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I only shoveled an inch of snow once this winter.
About twice as much as we had to shovel. May see both of you guys when we head to Regina in the end of August. I want to do the Crowsnest all the way to where it joins 1 in Alberta.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
About twice as much as we had to shovel. May see both of you guys when we head to Regina in the end of August. I want to do the Crowsnest all the way to where it joins 1 in Alberta.
That would be great! I have wanted to do the Crowsnest route into Alberta as well. I remember when I was a grasshopper, traveling that route with my parents when we moved to BC. I have been part of the way over the years.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post

That would be great! I have wanted to do the Crowsnest route into Alberta as well. I remember when I was a grasshopper, traveling that route with my parents when we moved to BC. I have been part of the way over the years.
If you are heading through the Crow, stop in at the Lost Lemon Campground in Blairmore, AB for a couple days and do some world class Trout Fishing. Campground is right beside the Crowsnest River. Go and cast a line after supper,,,,,,
Don't forget to tour the old Coalmine in Bellview just down the road while your there. Lots to see and do around the area.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I wonder if my BC license would apply??
Old 04-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #64

Quote:
I wonder if my BC license would apply??
The campground is private property. I have never seen a fish cop. But,,,,,
Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #65

BTW, it is only $25 for a Canadian Resident. BC is. Little pricier,,,,

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fis...prov-regs.html
Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks Dennis if the fishing is good its worth the $25.00 but I don't want my dew worms to give their lives in vain.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #67

Quote:
Thanks Dennis if the fishing is good its worth the $25.00 but I don't want my dew worms to give their lives in vain.
Ha, but then The beer is cheaper AND, BC wine is less. So at the end of the day, even if you don't catch a fish, it's a wash. Right?
Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 AM   #68

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I think it unlikely that any western country and few if any others will allow (legal) entry of a non-human primate kept as a pet, especially singly. (There is of course a lucrative smuggling trade in monkeys and other primates)

Also, and for animal-welfare reasons, many countries very severely restrict the conditions under which non-human primates can be (legally) kept at all by private persons. In Great Britain, for example, one must obtain a special license, the requirements for which can be found at this link.
Francesca, I agree that nhps should not be harvested from the wild, and VERY, VERY few people should purchase one. It's not that I am saying that I am better than others and I can have a monkey and no one else should be able to get one. Sharing my life with Sena is the toughest thing I have ever done in life. And other than my human daughter, having her in my life is the most rewarding and fufilling thing I have ever done.
When people say, "I want a monkey", I tell them to first do everything fun and exciting they ever want to do, then think long and hard before giving up your life to one of these creatures. If that doesn't dissuade them, I tell them about the 8-10 poopy diapers I change each day and all the buttons Sena has bitten off remote controls and car keys, how much mess she makes and how many hours a day of attention it takes to maintain a good relationship with a monkey.

I lucked out that Sena came into my life when I could give her the 8-10 hours of attention each day. That I had a lifestyle that would allow me to mesh her into my job, first as a foster parent to 2 young girls with profound disabilities, then as a monkey nanny/personal assistant/house manager for a busy female executive whose business had a capuchin monkey mascot.

Most successful primate owners are retired, single, empty nesters who have high nurturing needs, dominant personalities and a high tolerance for messiness. In other words -- very few people have the lifestyle and personality to put up with one of these perpetual 2 year olds whose lifespan is typically 35-40 years.

And in return I get unconditional love and a reason to get out of bed every morning. Sena is my registered service animal and assists me in monitoring a medical issue and is learning new helping tasks almost monthly. Her intelligence, dexterity, longevity and awareness of body language make her an ideal
helper for me. Having her in my life provides me a higher quality of life and probably a longer, healthier life.

My disdain for the idiocy of the US and Canadian government is due to the laws they pass that prohibit us from traveling between each and even to some US states based solely on Sena's species.

OK, my rant is over. My apologies to all RV mutants and I hope that I have offend no one.

RVM18
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #69
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Barb,

I don't think you have to explain to anyone, however, thank you for your enlightening post.
I can see that your pairing with Sena is an ideal one not suited for most people. You are both lucky to have each other!
Hats off to you for taking on a challenging and dedicated role in being Sena's keeper and as it sounds, you have reaped the rewards!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
That is a commitment that needs no explanation. I as well never realized how much time, energy and love it would consume. Personally it would be more than I would want to take on but, admire your dedication.