Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 05:27 AM   #1

What about tornados

We are headed to South Central Missouri for a few weeks in May for fun and games. We are are excited about our trip, but concerned about camping in tornado alley (news photo this morning showed an RV crumpled up). I am guessing that we should watch the weather forecast daily and know where the showers are (to run and hide). What say ye?

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/ass...28-c1-main.jpg
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 AM   #2

I agree, you should.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:45 AM   #3
paz

Better than watching the local weather is to get a weather radio that sounds an alert in the event of severe weather. The Midland WR300 is a popular model, and there are others. You can also get weather apps for your smartphone that will send out alerts for severe weather.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:50 AM   #4

Do both but also know where the nearest public shelter is.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
There isn't much you can do about tornados except watch the forecasts and find a suitable shelter (not your rv). Make a plan ahead of time where you will go when a tornado is forecast. I live in Florida and we move temporarily out of the path when hurricanes are forecast, but you don't get the time to do this with a tornado.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Weather awareness and weather radios are certainly wise.

The chance that one particular house will be hit be a tornado? Once in 250 years.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Michigan state parks

I know in our state that most of the state parks have tornado preparedness programs in place. Our friends wittnessed it in action a few years back when the Ft. Custer recreational area went under a tornado alert. This is a large campground. All the campers were rounded up by the camps staff and directed to the tornado shelter buildings which were the block and morter bath houses. Our friends said it went very smoothly with no panic. Luckily the tornado missed the park. This is not a failsafe plane but at least it should help.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #8

We have a portable NOAA Weather Radio:

http://http://www.etoncorp.com/en/pr...ican-red-cross

Our in-the-dash Jensen radio also has the NOAA channel.

When severe weather is forecasted then I make sure that we know where to go for shelter if there is a warning.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #9

These storms were predicted days ago, plenty of time to hook up and get out of the predicted bad weather. Several years ago we were in NE on our way to KS when bad weather was predicted in KS. We stopped at a city park in a little town for 2 days in pouring rain while a tornado ripped through Greensburg, KS. An rv is no place to be in a bad storm, a weather radio is a great tip. Be smart, try not to worry, the odds are with you.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #10

A corrected link to the Eton weather radio:
Weather Tracker FR800 - American Red Cross | Eton
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep an eye to sky and check the Weather Channel frequently. Good luck, have fun and be safe.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
What about tornado's??? If their coming get low. If they are not coming have a glass of wine.

When your life revolves around watching for those things that just, just MIGHT happen is it really much of a life???? Yes use common sense but come on. Our Daughter and family live just 5 miles from Mayflower and near Vilonia AR. Did we worry??? No. Why worry when you can only use your common sense if it hits you. You can not control mother nature. If it's coming my way would I leave or stay put. Again use your common sense. We've lived in tornado alley most of our lives and we don't worry or fret. What will be will be. I won't say, "If it's your time it's your time." I don't believe that. Life is about free will and making choices and I try to use the common sense that God gave me.

There's to much weather technology available for the worry crowd. I won't have a weather alert system telling me there's a storm 30 miles away and south of me so I should take cover. It ain't gonna hit me if it's south of me and heading away. But the weather alert system just keeps on keeping on about everything bad thing out there. G*D forbid if they ever determine that they can identify ghosts with those systems so they can tell us when the ghosts are heading our way. There's a crown out there who'd buy the dumb things.

TeJay

Happy trails,
TeJay
Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #13

I have to agree the weather radio is the item to have with the alarms for those sleepy times. One of the things I found helpful was local TV and a map. When Counties or nearby towns are announced and you are new to the area the map pays off big time.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #14

Pay Attention, the stakes are high, and there are no do overs. Like others, we too live in what is often discribed or referred to as tornado alley (Yukon Oklahoma) I have seen the same places completely wiped out on more than once (Moore Oklahoma 1999, and 2013) same path, total and complete destruction both times. Do I avoid it, no. Do I pay attention to the warnings and have a plan should I get caught out? Of course. Be careful, have fun, a motorhome can be replaced.
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote