Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #1

What adhesive for delamination repair

I bought an 1998 aerolite a few months ago and it has delamination problems. Most of it I think I can get some type of adhesive and glue the filon back to the wood, but what do I use? I read of people doing this but they all seem to use something different, do I just go to the local hardware store or will that not work?
I've got a 10 ft section that I'm planning on cutting the filon and replacing wood and filon, but again what adhesive do I use? I've called camper repair stores and cant get an answer from them on what to use. I'm hoping to only do this once so if you know or have done this before please let me know. It's now getting warmer out and looks like the delamination is getting worse, I'd rather be camping in it then working on it. Thank you
Posdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #2

I'd use commercial grade contact cement. Re-skined an enclosed trailer and used a 3M product, can't remember the name but it was commercial grade and it's still holding the panels in place. Did this 10 years ago and now and again I see the trailer at the sand dunes and the guy who bought it from me says every panel is still tight and dry.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #3

Thank you I'll look into some this weekend and see what I can find. I'm at a point to where I hope it works but don't really care anymore. Just want it fixed.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #4

My son who has his own RV repair shop uses these products.

https://www.all-rite.com/adhesives-a...ond-e-183-glue
https://www.all-rite.com/adhesives-a.../stabond-t-440

I believe those are the 2 he uses. I'll check when I go over to his shop today. I know one is red the other is orange
He uses one or the other product they make. One for sticking filon to foam, the other for filon over wood/doorskin.

Once those surfaces mate, they are about impossible to separate. It's a one shot deal.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:31 PM   #5

Looks like either one would work, I'll give them a call and see how much 1 gallon will cover, hopefully a lot for the price. But if it works it'll be worth it. Thanks
Old 05-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #6

Those are the 2 he uses. He had been buying 4 or 6 gallons at a time and his cost with shipping was about $100 a gallon, I believe. He is now waiting for 5 gallon can orders, which will save him about $100.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #7

Where is he buying it? On the link its $280 a gallon, $100 would be much better. I talked to the website of the link you put on and they said 1 gallon would cover 100 sq ft. I may need a couple gallons, so the cheaper the better.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posdeer View Post
Where is he buying it? On the link its $280 a gallon, $100 would be much better. I talked to the website of the link you put on and they said 1 gallon would cover 100 sq ft. I may need a couple gallons, so the cheaper the better.
I know it's from CA, but he buys in bulk. I just texted him asking where he buys it. On large areas like roofs, he normally sprays most of it on. I never paid attention to what the coverage is.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #9

He buys it direct from Stabond. I don't know if they sell to the general public.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
I'd use commercial grade contact cement. Re-skined an enclosed trailer and used a 3M product, can't remember the name but it was commercial grade and it's still holding the panels in place. Did this 10 years ago and now and again I see the trailer at the sand dunes and the guy who bought it from me says every panel is still tight and dry.
Contact cement would be the wrong product. It is a neopreme based product and will reactivate above about 175 degrees. Sitting in a hot sun will reactivate the adhesive. I sold contact adhesives commerically for years.
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:18 AM   #11

Thanks for the replys but I decided to sell the camper and find a different one. This camper is sold now on the hunt again
Old 05-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #12

On my truck camper the skirts were rotted, so the Filon came off in one piece pretty easily. I replaced the wood with Pressure Treated Plywood, but no one could recommend a adhesive since the PT plywood was an unknown denominator. I wanted to use 3M 5200 which from my boating days which sticks to damn near everything and never lets go. But, I was in a hurry so I used a commercial construction adhesive form Home Depot instead of ordering some 5200.

A year later the Filon showed ripples, and it has gone down hill from there, so if I was to do it all again it would hands down be 5200. I have never found any other adhesive that holds like it, & remains flexible for decades.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
On my truck camper the skirts were rotted, so the Filon came off in one piece pretty easily. I replaced the wood with Pressure Treated Plywood, but no one could recommend a adhesive since the PT plywood was an unknown denominator. I wanted to use 3M 5200 which from my boating days which sticks to damn near everything and never lets go. But, I was in a hurry so I used a commercial construction adhesive form Home Depot instead of ordering some 5200.

A year later the Filon showed ripples, and it has gone down hill from there, so if I was to do it all again it would hands down be 5200. I have never found any other adhesive that holds like it, & remains flexible for decades.
I'm no expert on this, but I think your issue was using pressure treated plywood, with the chemicals in it. I think you would have had better results using non treated wood with the correct adhesive and sealing everything properly.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
3m makes variety of products. I'd look at 3m 90 high strength... I've used it in many applications. the most amazing one is the carpet on the dog house of my gasser. 5 years no problems and it get's very very hot!!! Trick is you have to coat both surfaces and let them tack.

I suspect you are dealing with a heat problem, sun hits it and it heats up and delam's. I use it for formica laminates large wood projects as well. I've used 5200 and it a great below water sealant, but trying to smooth it out enough with out air gaps would be next to impossible.

once the panel is down, it is not movable, the stuff just doesn't let go. I'm talking about having to use a grinder, so work very clean...... I"ve used it in small repairs of fiberglass siding, I clean out old wood crapola. either replacing the wood or with a vacuum to make it dust free. Prop the panel off the surface as far up as I can. I blow it out with a high pressure air hose, then spray the crapola out it with the 3m 90. let it stand a bit to tac and then carefully work the lam down onto the wood with a roller. I keep rolling it every couple of mins to keep working out the air bubbles.

I rebuilt FILs bathroom door with the stuff, very moist environment, worked perfectly. After 10 years it is still holding together. The glue holds so hard that the door is still straight and you know how thin those doors are. Made me a smart fella in FIL's mind after that... even let me replace his floor...

So, I'd recomend 3M 90 hi strength.... ain't cheap at $18 buckaroos a can...

Wood glue use the green bottle, tiebond 3, waterproof, tested it, wood rotted before the glue let go... good luck....

Tags
adhesive, delamination, repair