Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What age do you figure on stopping RVing

I was wondering how long people go before driving gets too much or moving from place to place with an RV. I know it's highly subjective as everyone ages differently but there must be an average.
I have talked with some people over the years that have downsized to something like a class B as they are easier to handle. They were mostly in their late 70's although I am sure some are still driving class A's into their 80's
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #2

We're planning to start fulltiming at age 65, go for five years, and then evaluate ourselves and our situation. I suspect that the reality will be that we will constantly be evaluating, and when either of us thinks we ought to get off the road we will. Also, much as we love the Ozarks, we haven't seen the whole country yet, and we may decide to settle down somewhere else.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are only in our second year of fulltiming and plan on many more. My father just sold his RV after my mother passed last August. He is 89 years young.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #4

I am currently age 74 and drive a 38 ft. Cl A. DW is younger, and we plan to continue for another five or six years. However, everything is dependent upon health remaining good. Will re-evaluate periodically as required and make adjustments to our plans.
Safe Travels to All!
CarlGeo
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Today is day #166 of Fulltiming. Sold the sticks and bricks. Did a seven and a half 15.5k mi. trip a year and a half ago. To answer your questions and my apologies to the late Charleston Heston: "When they pry the steering wheel from my cold dead hands".
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Since I'll only be 70 next year, I have"nt given it a thought yet. We have our reservations made for next year so it will be all ahead full.
Had a friend who was still driving his class A in his early 90s so that's going to be my goal.

Bill
Old 12-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My sister just turned 81, and they will spend one month dry camped at Hi Jolly campground outside of Quartsite. Tom enjoys it because he does not feel he should be out doing something, so he can spend more time reading. We meet them there and spend a week camped with them every year. They take several trips every year, most of which are about one month. My wifes aunt that had a motorhome and they would be gone 6 to 8 months every year, they sold it due to health problems when they were in their mid 90's. We plan to use ours as long as our health and money last.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #8

For us it isn't age related. As long as health and physical ability allows it, we'll be "out there" somewhere. May drive shorter distances, may stay longer in a given spot, but, as long as we are physically able and can afford the fuel to do so, we'll be rolling along.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I'm dead.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kurmudgeon said it all.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
When I'm dead.

JP
X2...

My father got too old and could not drive his MH anymore, so he gave it to me. Got me hooked. Can't wait to hit the road in 3yrs & fulltime. I live in mine now for past 1 1/2 yrs. Love it.

Sometimes I think about getting too old to drive. I was a CNA for a while, and saw how life is in a convelescent hospital, assisted living place (much nicer), & others, etc. I just hope that my MH will be my final home.

I love to be out in this beautiful country of ours, breathing the fresh air, listening to some old favorite songs while hanging around a campfire, or on top of some mtn looking over a valley.

I love talking with fellow RVrs about any ole thing. The lives people have had, and their experiences.....just fasinating.

I just don't understand people that like to hang out in crowded cities & don't care about getting into nature.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #12

I don't mean to be a wet blanket or anything, but everyone's ability to drive a motorhome decreases with age. Some lose it earlier, some later. But we all must accept the fact that eventually we won't be able to drive like we used to, or like we do now. I hope my life isn't totally over when that time comes. I look forward to sitting in my rocking chair and discussing with DW all the good times we had.

Now, for the point of my post. My mother insisted on driving until the day she died. Although they didn't pry the wheel out of her cold dead hands, they did pry the door and dashboard off her cold dead body. They took her car on a flatbed tow truck to the fire station so they could open the road up, since the extrication was going to be so time consuming. Accidents happen when you don't realize you are driving the wrong way on the highway and hit a big truck. Mom was 77. Just something to think about. Be safe, know when to say when.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #13

Having been in a few camping groups over the years, it seems that most people turn their keys in around mid 80s. Needless to say health is the determining factor, some should quit in their 60s others are OK at 90.
wazone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #14

The previous two posts are the reason for my answer earlier. DW isn't as confident driving large vehicles as I am, since I have more experience than she does there, so I'm probably going to do most of the driving with the RV. Without the RV, she's quite confident and capable. When either one of us thinks that it is time to slow down, we will. It may be that one of us notices that the other one has problems, or it may be a health issue. No matter what, soon after we start fulltiming we'll start talking about where we want to hang up the keys.

There is an old joke that is applicable here. "I want to die in my sleep, just like my Uncle Bill, not screaming my head off like the 25 passengers in his bus." I pray that long before I become a danger to others someone will tell me to get off the road.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving