Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What area of your Rving budget accounts for the largest outlay?
Camp site fees (including membership cost)? 18 18.56%
Fuel? 59 60.82%
Insurance, property taxes, inspections fee, etc.? 6 6.19%
Requared maintenance and wear item replacement? 2 2.06%
Upgrades and enhancements? 1 1.03%
Other? 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I suspect that if the price of gas went through the roof there would be no buyers for our gas guzzlers. Maybe the high end MHs would sell to very rich people. The rest of us would become seasonals.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2007, 06:29 AM   #16

I've been asked by non-rvers if vacationing in a fifth wheel is cheaper than staying in hotels. I usually answer that if you consider the monthly payment on a rig (or the cost if you bought outright) then the answer is no. Then I explain that staying in a shoebox room at a hotel vs. staying at beautiful scenic campgrounds or parks is an apples to oranges comparison. Also having your own bed, own kitchen, bath, closet, taking the dog along, ect... is worth alot.

To answer the poll: payment is highest cost, then fuel. Last year our 3800 mile trip with the 5ver was $1000 for diesel and $0 for camping fees (stayed on relative's property once we got there, overnighted at truck stops en-route there and back.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:56 AM   #17

Payments, Gas, Park Fee's.

In general, all the expenses will continue the increase.
Fee's will continue to rise because they know rv'ers have to have a place to stay.

Gas will continue it's upward/downward/upward spiraling increase because they know we MUST have it.

RV prices will contue to go up because they know everyone wants the best, and newest.

Coastal areas are even seeing the demise of Mobile Home Subdivisions, being bought out from under ther residents. IE; Florida.

In the past 2 years and 16,000 miles, we saw what we wanted to see, learned what we wanted to learn are settling down again.
This time it's for good.
DW's diabetic and I don't want to be stuck in a place where she can't the specialized help she needs. It can only get worse.

In the 4 months here in Myrtle Beach our Discover bills are WAY down. Park fees @$10.71 per day are the cheapest rates we ever had, and includes everything.

DW loves this area so much that we decided to but a little grass shack and stay.

RVing now a days is sort of like musical chairs and we can't afford to be without a chair when the music stops.

For those able to continue, good luck and safe driving.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:21 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lwmuddy:
Payments, Gas, Park Fee's.

In the 4 months here in Myrtle Beach our Discover bills are WAY down. Park fees @$10.71 per day are the cheapest rates we ever had, and includes everything.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where in Myrtle Beach are you staying for $10.71 a day??? We were in MB for the month of Nov. and stayed at Apache. Nov. was $660. The cheapest campground that I know of in MB is Briarcliffe and it is about $375 a month (+ electric, I think) in the winter.

-Tom
parked in Crystal River, FL until April

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:29 AM   #19

fuel is biggest expense. Keeping track of expenses over the years, convinces me that I could buy a nice Condo and it would be cheaper, but, then I would not be able to travel and stay in my own bed. Travel and staying in a motel would also be cheaper, but who wants to live that way.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:18 AM   #20

I'm a new owner(Class A DP), so my expenses for making sure all of the maintenance and wear replacement items(like tires) have been taken care of is the biggest chunk of my budget. Once this is behind me, I think fuel will be #1. I also have a few upgrades in mind to the TV and entertainment system and possibly to the satellite dish.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #21

I checked other because food is our biggest expense.
debid316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #22

Who care's, just enjoy. And many happy road's ahead.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Before diesel hit almost $3.00 per gallon camping fees was the largest expense but with trips running at 8,ooo miles fuel has overtaken campgrounds.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #24

It's like golfing, if you must keep track of your expenses, you can't afford it.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:51 AM   #25

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
It's just like anything else, different strokes for different folks. Some are on a fixed income and budget is the only way to make it go. Others have more expendable income and don't worry so much about each penny. Hopefully everbody is in it for the fun, whether on a precise budge or not.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:16 AM   #26

I hear this a lot:
"Travel and staying in a motel would also be cheaper,"

However when was the last time you checked on Motel prices?

Depending on where you stay evena Motel 6 is $35.00- $40.00 per day and having stayed in some, sight unseen, I would say I probably won't again.

You can find decent motel that are clean and where you feel safe, usually mom and pop at a good price but even a Red Roof Inn will cost $40-$45 a day.

And I guess it depends on your rig and how much you are travelling on a weekly basis

If you have a big Class A, you are only getting what? 3-4 miles to the gallon?

If you have a small light weight rig, say a TT ,you can get 17 mpg to the gallon depending on the truck you using to tow.
Scamp 5th wheel being an example

So travel expenses, seem to me, depend on a lot of factors, one of the biggest, is fuel consumption

That being said, having a small light weight rig and good truck may be the same or cheaper as staying in motels

Of course some RVers require more space, families etc so their choice of rig would naturally preclude a small light weight rig

But thats not me

So I can travel more economically with a small rig

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D. Cote:
fuel is biggest expense. Keeping track of expenses over the years, convinces me that I could buy a nice Condo and it would be cheaper, but, then I would not be able to travel and stay in my own bed. Travel and staying in a motel would also be cheaper, but who wants to live that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #27

We paid cash for our Class C. I'll take the fuel consumption over a motel anyday. The last motel we stayed in cost $100 per night for 2 persons. The bed was like sleeping on a sheet of plywood.

We travel with a dog and cat.

David has spent months at a time living in motels. When you add in the cost of eating every meal in a restaurant, it adds up.

The cheapest we have paid for a motel was $80 per night and the room hadn't been cleaned (they cleaned it while we ate dinner out).
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:19 AM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I guess it depends on how much you spent on your rig and how long you keep it. For many, especially those who trade every 2-3 years, the cost per night in the rig can be pricey. However the environment and the amenities can't be beat.