Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #1

What constitutes good customer service?

I asked previously about poor customer service now the other side of the coin. What do you think constitutes good customer service?

Feel free to post an example.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Requirement 1 : Have a human answer the phone.
Requirement 2 : Have that human speak clear English.
Requirement 3 : A trained english speaking human that has enough knowledge to listen to and answer basic questions without reading from cue cards.

I can work with whatever the result after that but if those three conditions aren't met I usually just hang up.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
WDW

Disney. It’s a benchmark that’s not perfect, but a gold standard. The real answer is how they motivate massive number of marginally paid hourly workers to deliver.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Requirement 3 : A trained english speaking human that has enough knowledge to listen to and answer basic questions without reading from cue cards.

I can work with whatever the result after that but if those three conditions aren't met I usually just hang up.

I could not have said it better.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Communication and transparency.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:09 PM   #6

Quote:

BINGO!
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #7

Quote:

AMEN!

It is a low bar these days.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
For me, good customer service is being willing to listen to my issues, actually fix the issues or admit you are unable to do so (not saying you fixed it when you didn't/couldn't) & be willing to go above the minimum to help resolve my issues.

Example: On our prior Bounder, we had a slide motor crap out less than a week before we were to leave on an extended vacation. Yes, we could've gotten by with the slide in, but it would've been inconvenient. Our dealer's parts guy told us they'd have to order it & it'd be 7-10 days before it even came in, assuming it was in stock from where they ordered. The service manager stepped in & located a similar era Bounder in their for sale inventory at another location & sent a tech to go get the slide motor out of that one. On our way out of town, we stopped by & in less than 2 hours we were on our way with that replacement slide motor. THAT, to me, was REAL customer service. On our way home from vacation, I brought the crew some fresh baked rolls from Rise N Roll in Middlebury & a small gift card for the service mgr.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
its like p0rn,, you know it when you see it.. and its somewhat subjective. But being responsive is #1
Old 02-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #10

1. An actual human needs to answer the phone. I don't mind an automated system that asks if I need sales, service, or the operator though. If it's going to be automated, make it simple, and always give me the option to just talk to a human who can direct me to the right department/other person. Honestly, labor is cheap. Hire some kids fresh out of high school to answer phones and direct people to the correct department.

2. A human that speaks English as a first language! If your accent is thicker than peanut butter, you can't help me no matter how eager you are simply because we can't understand each other. Obviously, this doesn't apply in non-English speaking countries. If you're in France, then get people who speak French as a first language.

3. Pay attention. I can't count the number of times I've had to tell someone in customer service to stop reading from their script and just pay attention. At least half the time, the person I talk takes way too long to figure out what I'm actually calling about. If I've reached the point where I call customer service, I've already made sure it's the correct size, unplugged it and plugged it back in, and removed all unnecessary peripherals, and blown out the back of the cartridge (original NES anyone?), etc. I've even Google'd the problem a few times. My Google Fu is strong! If it was an easy fix, I wouldn't have called.

4. Don't lie. This one should be automatic, but it's not. If you tell me one thing at the beginning of our conversation, then the exact opposite a few minutes later, Houston, we have a problem. Don't just tell me what you think I want to hear, actually figure out the answer and tell me that. Or at least tell me that you don't know. I'm much happier with "I don't know" than I am with a completely made up response.

That's really all I'm looking for. A native English speaking human who pays attention to the problem and doesn't lie to me. I don't think that's too much to ask for.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:27 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Good customer service is when YOU feel that you were treated courteously and fairly, even if your issue may not have been resolved in your favor.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:05 AM   #12

Lots of comments on “English speaking” .
I can say that calling some southern states I get English proficient responses that are hard to understand because of accents. I might have to ask the person to repeat themselves.
Are we all sure that we are aren’t letting our own personal biases enter into the discussion?
Old 02-08-2020, 07:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Disney. It’s a benchmark that’s not perfect, but a gold standard. The real answer is how they motivate massive number of marginally paid hourly workers to deliver.
Not trying to change subjects. I'd say you are correct about disney.....a few years ago. Not so much now.
I'm a pass holder, DVC member. And family are employees in WDW ( Walt Disney world)
I stay in every resort from value to deluxe.
Service has declined much over the few years.
I get better service at universal now. And at the hotels in universal too.

Hopefully our new president of wdw resort will get things back.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Lots of comments on “English speaking” .
I can say that calling some southern states I get English proficient responses that are hard to understand because of accents. I might have to ask the person to repeat themselves.
Are we all sure that we are aren’t letting our own personal biases enter into the discussion?
We have accents?
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service