Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #1

What do you clean Dicor Lap Sealent with?

Hello All
What is everyone using to clean there Lap Sealent with? Mine is chalky grey and then runs down the side of the rig. I was thinking of Ajax, I have tried denatured alcohol and that works so so. What are your thoughts?
Mvlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #2

To me, that is the natural color of Dicor lap sealant after it has experienced a few summers.I've never experienced runny sealant after it has cured. Perhaps I just do not understand your questions though. If you want to remove the top "layer" of sealant to make it look like it was just applied, try gently wiping it with a rag dampened with turpentine. This will soften and remove some of the sealant. I discovered that while attempting to completely remove(which BTW was completely successful) some excess sealant during a re-caulking project.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Mineral spirits, but it is just going to chalk up again. If its old enough to chalk, I would be thinking of stripping it off and replacing it.

Are you sure it is the sealant that is chalking? Usually it is the EPDM roofing, not the Dicor.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
To me, that is the natural color of Dicor lap sealant after it has experienced a few summers.I've never experienced runny sealant after it has cured. Perhaps I just do not understand your questions though. If you want to remove the top "layer" of sealant to make it look like it was just applied, try gently wiping it with a rag dampened with turpentine. This will soften and remove some of the sealant. I discovered that while attempting to completely remove(which BTW was completely successful) some excess sealant during a re-caulking project.

Ray its still hard/ply able not runny. I will try the turpentine.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Mineral spirits, but it is just going to chalk up again. If its old enough to chalk, I would be thinking of stripping it off and replacing it.

Are you sure it is the sealant that is chalking? Usually it is the EPDM roofing, not the Dicor.

I have a fiberglass roof so its definitely the sealant. I was hoping to skip out on replacing it all and just cleaning it. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #6

My dealer told me to remove any Dicor to use Coleman camping fuel on a cloth. He says it will not hurt fibreglass siding. Very flammable and be careful of disposing your cloth. I burn mine in shop furnace. It removes dark water marks around and below windows instantly!!
pigroaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #7

epdm roof

I would not use Coleman fuel on a EPDM roof. Sides only!! Sorry if I misled you!
pigroaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigroaster View Post
My dealer told me to remove any Dicor to use Coleman camping fuel on a cloth. He says it will not hurt fibreglass siding. Very flammable and be careful of disposing your cloth. I burn mine in shop furnace. It removes dark water marks around and below windows instantly!!
Coleman camping fuel = unleaded gasoline !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #9

Mineral spirits is a distillation fraction of petroleum. Turpentine is a distillation from pine tree sap(no petroleum involved). Where are Ken and Rusty when you need them_.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I figured somebody would say "OMG" when I mentioned mineral spirits. Both mineral spirits and turpentine work fine and are not a problem to any roof as long as you don't pour it on. You just use a dampened cloth.

In this case the roof is fiberglass, so even pouring it on is not an issue.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I figured somebody would say "OMG" when I mentioned mineral spirits. Both mineral spirits and turpentine work fine and are not a problem to any roof as long as you don't pour it on. You just use a dampened cloth.

In this case the roof is fiberglass, so even pouring it on is not an issue.

I use mineral spirits to take the steaks and water spots off before I wax.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roof Maintenance read this article. It should help. Manufacturer suggests borax or dawn. NO petroleum distillates.

Quote: The percentage of petroleum distillates doesn’t matter. THERE IS NO LEVEL OF PETROLEUM DISTILLATES THAT IS RECOMMENDED. Laboratory tests conducted in July of 1996 evaluated the effect of a leading RV ‘roof treatment’ product on EPDM roofing membrane using standard sunlamp and immersion testing procedures. The ‘roof treatment’, which contained petroleum distillates, caused a 63% mass change (swelling). Petroleum distillates soak in and cause the adhesive to loosen and the membrane to balloon. Then, when the ballooning goes down, the rubber roof may never again adhere properly or completely. Don’t be fooled by names such as “organic solvent”, “hydrocarbon carrier”, etc. Petroleum distillates by any name should NEVER be applied to EPDM. If you aren’t sure about a product, contact the manufacturer and request a copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Look under the section entitled “Hazardous Ingredients”. If it lists any petroleum distillates, do not use it on EPDM
Old 07-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Simple Green works great for me to remove the black streaks, 50-50 solution. Just start at the top and work down!

Ray, thanks for the footnote. I agree.
late starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvlawn View Post
I use mineral spirits to take the steaks and water spots off before I wax.
Let me know the next time you get ready to wax. I'll fire up the grill and remove the steaks for you...

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dicor