Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Actually, "back in the day" was more dangerous than it is now in 2019. You didn't hear about the things that happened as much, but they happened more often. All statistics back that up. The world is getting safer every day. Stop watching the news.
They teach you in medical school there are lies, then damn lies and then sticitics If you genuinely believe things are generally safer now (2019) than they were in 1970 have at it Many people might dispute that unless perhaps you lived in the Bronx...lol

In any event, the OP asked what you could do be safe or safer in today's times while RVing. I gave my answer and what I will be doing. Pretty simple

Daniel
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
I married a red head from Gaston County NC.
That would do it!
Old 11-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #45

Very good post, the reality of this world we live in is such that any travelers whom crisscross this country in vehicles that can cost substantially more than many homes whilst driving through areas that at best may be marginally safe during the day speaks volumes about the faith we as Rv’ers have in our routines and routes.

I have personally have had more than one encounter on the road that left me thinking how vulnerable my family and I are under certain circumstances. The most likely chance of a unpleasant encounter generally occurs when we stop to fuel up or reprovision. The chances of opportunists to victimize is greater when you are distracted with tasks at hand while sitting in a public place, any type of rest stop, fuel, shopping and recreational location is an ideal place for folks with bad intent to gravitate to.

There are many desperate people who absolutely look at RVs with bad intentions, they make assumptions that the owner is older and less capable, that the traveler most likely is carrying money or valuables. The fact that many of us are of retirement age gives a false sense of confidence in these unsavory folks.
Fortunately RV’ers aren’t like most other travelers, it takes a special person to undertake all the challenges involved with successfully navigating a oversized vehicle all around this country.

This Rv lifestyle dictates that every traveler exercise to their upmost ability the proper safeguards to protect themselves and their property. The coach is your home and you need to apply the same security you would at home. Directional bright lights and a loud siren are a good start, another safety measure is to have overwatch when someone exits the RV, I can’t tell you how many times I have been approached by someone looking for money or whatever when outside the coach in a public place.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #46

I wish there were honest statistics of things that happened to RVers vs home owners. How often do you hear of something happening to RVers vs the occurrences with homeowners? I mean with the typical traveling RVer; not a mobile home park or campground for year-round folks. It is very easy to choose a safe place to park. Use your common sense.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I wish there were honest statistics of things that happened to RVers vs home owners. How often do you hear of something happening to RVers vs the occurrences with homeowners?
If you ever find such statistics, please tell me! I would love to see some hard data about that kind of thing.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for your response. You have great common sense ideas - I do have a panic button on the toad, will remember to use that if need ever arises
Old 11-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #49

In all the years of RVing we have never run across a situation that made us feel threatened.

Just recently, I pulled into a truck parking area off of I-40 West of Nashville so I could use the 'sprinkletorium'. There were no facilities, just a large parking area for trucks and large vehicles.

As I took the off ramp, I saw a black sedan following me. I thought that was strange as this is really for truckers. I'm watching them in my rear camera and as I stop, they stop behind me. I told my co-pilot to watch the camera as there is a 'buddy' camera next to the passenger seat between the side window and exit door. There were 6-8 large trucks parked in the area.

It appeared to be a man and women. The man came to the front of the coach standing somewhat on the driver's side looking at the coach. He had a 'tourist' camera around his neck. I'm thinking.... great disguise to be robbed trying to be unassuming as a tourist.

Well, he was older than me and I'm in decently fit shape for my age. So, I step out of the coach and he slowly comes up to ask a question. He spoke with a European accent and said they were from the Netherlands and he was admiring how large our coach was. He said he couldn't imagine moving a coach like ours in Europe.

I was friendly but kept my guard up. They were harmless, said they were on a 5 week tour of the USA. My co-pilot had the 'fly-swatter' ready (not necessary for a mod edit).

Like said many times above, just be aware of your surroundings. Our coach does have a siren, squelcher and exterior speaker.

Safe travels,
Mark
Old 11-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #50

Traveling by the nature of it has always been dangerous and risky. In centuries past, wagon trains and stage coaches were at a high risk of being robbed and it was frequent. The story of the Natchez trail is often told about robberies as merchants/farmers walked back home after selling their goods in the Southern destinations.
I believe that travel is much safer and getting safer as civilization advances. With todays communication network, any travel mishaps get broad coverage. But keep in mind, there are alot more travelers than ever before.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #51

When I had a late night knock at the door I opened the bedroom window a crack to communicate with the person after turning on the outside lights. Try to get in that way.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #52

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mr. Miagi says, best way to avoid punch is not be there when it arrives. I try to stay out of the more dangerous places. Travel usually be day light. With MH, I try to stay on the interstates. I never, never sleep in a place where there are not other people around, doing the same. Doors are always locked. Be very aware of surroundings. Any uneasiness, move on. I try to stay away from cities. Most importantly, I pray a lot.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #53

Again, the world in general may be getting safer, but there are specific parts of it that are not, and are actually getting worse. It is a good idea to avoid those places.

If I had to go by Daniels list, I would just stay home in the cellar with all the doors barricaded.

I'm like the gypsies, during 40+ years of RVing we've all over the US, AK, and parts of CA without any real problems so far. Also like them, much of that time was on BLM or USFS and when not it was in rest areas, truck stops, wide spots in the road, etc. We still do the same, and while in WV for a month or two I stay in a Gospel Sing campground. I'm not sure how much I should be worried there. It actually is a beautiful place and I "camp" away from the crowd along a small stream in the shade. It doesn't get much better.

While it is not good to bury your head in the sand, the sky is not falling either.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
Old 11-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #54

Sig.....
Old 11-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #55

Use common sense.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #56

Staying Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaureenB View Post
Safety while on the road, I'm sure, is a concern in the back of many people's mind. But it's on my mind more now because of the murder of the Rumney NH couple who were RVing across the country. I have no plans to stop RVing and I'm not asking if you carry or not, but what are your rituals to keep you and your family safe while on the road - or is it not even a concern for you?

I am not necessarily overly paranoid when we are at RV parks, but just common sense generally aware. We have a German Shepherd Dog who travels with us, and will throw down if asked. And on "potty breaks" while driving my husband is spot watching over me, or outside with me. I also have a pepper dog spray I carry when taking the dogs out.

If my husband leaves the RV while in a rest stop, the door is locked, twice, until he returns.

What do you do to keep safe?

One thing we don't do is drive to "dark thirty" and stop wherever without knowing the area. As other have said "situational" awareness is the most important thing next to common sense. What is around you is really key. Keep in mind that the older you get, the bigger that target on your back becomes.
As far as traveling in Mexico, not this coach ever.
Plenty to see and do in this beautiful USA!
Closed Thread