Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking What do you expect from your co-pilot?

I tried to do a search but the term co-pilot is a specific item, not the person sitting in the 2nd chair!
Are there specific blogs or articles I should be reading? Yes, DH and I are having periodic "issues" and he seems to think there is a list or a set of expectations that go along with co-piloting.
I handle all the park/CG reservations, enter addresses into the GPS, double-check slides-jacks etc, help set up the hook-ups, help with hooking and unhocking the tow car, and direct him into gas stations and camping sites.
His issues have more to do with when I'm actually sitting in my chair and he is driving (beyond bringing him water or a soft drink!)
What do you expect of that person in the next seat?
Thanks all!
parsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
To my knowledge, there is no list. But each couple will have different wants and needs. I do pretty much what you do and I think you will find a lot of co-pilots are doing the same. I'm also an extra set of eyes to him, watching traffic, etc. I'm not sure there is much else to do.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #3

I think you're doing a fine job. One addition you might want to think of alternating, like we do, is driving and dumping the tanks. You never know what you'll have to do in an emergency, sickness, sprained ankle, etc. It's best to know how.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsoc View Post
I tried to do a search but the term co-pilot is a specific item, not the person sitting in the 2nd chair!
Are there specific blogs or articles I should be reading? Yes, DH and I are having periodic "issues" and he seems to think there is a list or a set of expectations that go along with co-piloting.
I handle all the park/CG reservations, enter addresses into the GPS, double-check slides-jacks etc, help set up the hook-ups, help with hooking and unhocking the tow car, and direct him into gas stations and camping sites.
His issues have more to do with when I'm actually sitting in my chair and he is driving (beyond bringing him water or a soft drink!)
Thanks all!
What else does he expect you to do ?
My wife will get me something to eat or drink, and that's about it, although she does normally push the button to extend and retract the slide out. She also tidies up inside, and gets stuff ready for travel when we're leaving a place, while I'm disconnecting and what not outside. I never asked or expected her to do more than that.
My wife, I'm fairly certain, knows how to do everything else, but has never done much more.
I almost forgot, she also will help out inside while I'm outside dumping the tanks.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #5

I have an automatic dishwasher, ice maker, and bar tender. She's about 5 foot 4.
She also reads maps. I do the GPS, et al.
Happy Trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsoc View Post
Thanks all!
Well, I hope he is not expecting sex?? That would be distracting and dangerous!!! LOL

Someone started another thread in the forum and the term they used was nagrivator.

Something you missed and are likely doing is keeping DH awake while he is driving.

Janet and I have never thought about it. We work together to get on the road and set up when we stop. Stuff just happens and we constantly check to make sure we have not left anything unattended. So far have not in 12 years so it must be working.

When driving Janet does about the same as you. Gets us snacks and soft drinks, makes sandwiches, keeps an eye out for interesting scenery and points them out to me. Oft times spots interesting things that I do not because I am watching traffic. I prefer Janet says look at ???? on the left, or right, etc. It is easier than her pointing and saying look at ???? over there. I do not have to look to see where she is pointing.

She is also our safety monitor. She keeps an eye on me and asks regularly if I am OK. She is checking to see if I am tired and if we should stop for a break. She knows I will give her an honest answer.

Janet also uses paper maps to check the route the GPS is taking us on. If there is a difference in the routes we stop and determine if we are going to follow the GPS or map.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #7

wow ...to all the above, not saying its wrong or right. I wont go into that. Hope he says please (parsoc). However from my co-pilot, I need their directions on how to get there (cell phone usage) and their pair of eyes plus their suggestions. I wont get a two way radio to tell me to pull up, back up to get to the pumps correctly (gas cap is in the rear). The cell phones works great for that while on speaker mode. If its a "mess up", to far forward or to far away from the pump handle, oh well! Try again. Lol, I have two co-pilots who alternate. My son (16 years old who loves it) and also my granddaughter (14 years old, same case). Both are great co-pilots and they fight for that position. So if have to alternate who gets 2nd chair at the beginning of the drive.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Well, let me ask... what does he do while YOU are driving?
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #9

Sounds like you're doing a lot already. My three biggies are reading the map or GPS and thinking further ahead than I am, staying in my view in the mirror while backing in, and removing her foot from the dashboard that just happens to block my view of the right mirror. I've thought about the need for retraining, but I subscribe to the notion that a happy wife makes for a happy life, so I keep my big mouth shut.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh this could be sticky

Parked I do the outside and Angel does the inside.

While driving she relaxes in the right chair, looks out for wild animals (including the two legged kind). We collaborate on where we want to eat and park for the night.

Nothing written down, just the way we do it.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We haven't taken posession of our coach yet, but we've been practicing and discussing different roles.

I imagine I'll be the primary pilot but she does want to drive on occasion. Interestingly, DW wants to be the one to back it up into spots. She feels like she'd be better at working the pedals and turning the wheel from the inside rather than being the one outside deciding where the thing actually sits - especially if it's dark or raining. Smart girl

I told her yesterday that I would be counting on her to keep an eye out for low hanging branches that stick out into the street, or signs or lights that a are bent over in our way. She told me good luck with that; she'd be busy soaking in the scenery

She'll learn all the systems, of course - just in case - but it's an unspoken understanding that I'll be handling all the tank duties. In her words - she'll handle the inside, I'll take care of the outside. I reminded her that it was a little 1950's of her, and she reminded me that June Cleaver never dumped a black tank in her life, and my DW is just fine with the stereotype.

My DW is also not particularly... shall we say... proficient with electronics and technology. She can work the basics of her smart phone, remote control for TV's, cook in the microwave, etc., but plan a trip on the web and transfer it to a GPS? Yeah, not happening... so even though she'll be the operational navigator with her eyes on the screen, I'll be the one to actually plot our course.

But believe me, I'll be looking for ways to even out the workload

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to usnret997 Send a message via MSN to usnret997 Send a message via Yahoo to usnret997
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
Oh this could be sticky

Parked I do the outside and Angel does the inside.

While driving she relaxes in the right chair, looks out for wild animals (including the two legged kind). We collaborate on where we want to eat and park for the night.

Nothing written down, just the way we do it.
I agree with you. Maybe its the military training. No list to go by we see what needs to be done and do it. Most of the time she is getting the inside while I get the outside.
usnret997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #13

Companionship, and sharing good times, nothing more.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Oh, you guys are so funny! No, no sex...!! WAY too uncomfortable in those seats, even when parked
I am not driving yet, although I have driven it in a big parking lot and "pretended" I was at a gas station. That will come later, he's a driving hog, what can I say (he used to be a bus driver, if that explains some things). We're new to towing and that has made him a little more tense than usual.
The gist of our "issue" is that when he asks for information he wants it sooner rather than later. We were 4 hours away from Reno and I really thought that (temperature) information could wait until I was through doing whatever it was I was doing. Just part of getting through this new RV experience I think. And I'm newly retired and we've never spent this much time together, especially in a 29' MH!
Thanks again for all your input, really enjoyed it (esp. the June Cleaver bit)
parsoc is offline   Reply With Quote