Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question What do you leave in your MH between trips?

I just got done unloading my 40 footer after a 2.5 month journey, my first in my new MH. I did a small trip before this, long weekend, left everything in it knowing I'd be going on the long trip and let AGS keep the batteries tended to while the refer remained on, etc. My neighbor has a class C and I believe he unloads completely after each trip but I plan to use mine more frequently, at least one week a month, maybe two weekends in a month.

I could not believe the effort to remove all the clothes, pantry, refrig, freezer! I can't believe I had so much in it for just me and the dog but it was a long journey and too many Walmart runs along the way. The next time I'll use it is probably two weeks, then over the cold months probably longer breaks.

I have to store it in a self-storage/RV/boat lot with no power. I can leave the refer running and use AGS but I don't want to do that other than for maybe summer months when more frequently used. I'm worried about critters of course and obviously the refer can't run all the time without shore power or AGS.

Do you completely unload between each trip? Do you leave your pantry stocked? What do you leave vs. take when you get home from a trip? Assuming non-full timers of course.

I think this next trip may be a better judge of what to take and leave as these 2 month journeys will not be common, This was a 34 day passport america caravan followed by two rally's.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #2

Still learning what we can leave and what we need to take; however, we do remove all food. Linens get removed also so we can wash them at home. We also tend to take some of the clothes and jackets. We tend to leave the basement items at coach as well as cleaning items. Also most portable electronics like computers and cpap get removed.
Ideal would be leaving almost everything in our coach but for that I need to get some land and put up a building for the coach. That way it can be plugged in.

Tom
Old 10-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I keave everything in the rig other than my clothes, some food and sat. boxes, but it's stored beside the house and plugged in all the time too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
What do you leave in your MH between trips?

We try to leave as much as possible in the RV when returning.
Majority of clothes are just for the RV so we are not removing or packing for each trip. Dirty clothes and linens are removed washed and put back in.
Condiments, canned goods and some dry goods all stay. Anything that may expire or spoil before next trip is removed.
Everything else remains in RV.
Ours is stored next to house and remains plugged in so it is a little easier to add and remove something. Also any unloading may be several days after we return.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #5

What to leave in your RV

I take out all ref. food. I have purchased end of season clothes or sale clothes to leave in the RV. Before winter I take out all BR items that will freeze. I never leave spare batteries laundry soap or cleaning supplies. All items that I take out go in a plastic tote. Any repair items or reminders that need to be done go on a sticky note on the counter. The battery is taken home and checked monthly and charged as needed. I bring in my tote of canned goods and dry food to use up. I keep a list for replenishment for the spring. Dh winterizes with pink antifreeze and we cover our RV. I don't have a problem with critters so it is safe to leave paper towels,kleenex and toilet paper.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #6

Plastic Totes are "Sliced Bread" and "A better Mousetrap" combined into one. We keep about 70% of our total "Stuff" in the RV when not using it. Before totes, we always had to worry about mousie damage/contamination, but no longer.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:43 PM   #7

Load it fully in the spring - between trips fridge is shut off and emptied, dry goods are restocked with unopened items, canned stuff remains. Bedding out, laundered, restocked.Clothing - outerwear stays - other clothing will be added based on trip duration/location. We try to keep it as close to ready-to-go as we can. End of season all food/toiletries come out, any liquids that can freeze come out. Also, anything with batteries - remote controls, radios, smoke detector, etc. - have batteries removed so if they corrode they won't damage whatever they were in. Like others - all into plastic tubs to make re-loading easier the next season.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:05 PM   #8

It is parked next to the house and is our "earthquake shelter", so it stays stocked. We know we are very lucky being able to keep it at home. Water tank stays full. Fridge is emptied after each trip. Linens are washed and returned. Since we live in warm weather but camp in cool temps, most of our heavier outdoor clothes stay in the MH year round. Stays fully stocked with dried goods, canned goods, etc.

Our "packing for the trip" includes stocking the fridge and misc clothes as needed.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:09 AM   #9

All we take out is dirty clothes and what's in the fridge.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:44 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We move as little as possible back and forth. Partial clothing, as several are duplicated. Refrigerator is left with anything that won't spoil or go bad. Computers and phones get shuffled.

200w of solar will keep the batteries charged up if stored outside.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:17 AM   #11

I tried leaving SWMBO inside, but the doors will unlock from the inside.

We are in it so much at home (pretty much living in it) that nothing really gets taken out except for dirty clothes and linens. I have a cat6 cable from the modem and a cat5 running from the Dish receiver to the coach. After our November trip (if planning works out) then we will be standing down until February or early March. When we stand down, Kelly's work computer, monitors, and printer will get moved back into her work spot in the house after Thanksgiving dinner. Probably the only other things moved in will be perishable food and some small things.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:35 AM   #12

We store our coach alongside the house, plugged-in. Before we could do that, we stored inside a warehouse, heated but without electricity. My rule is to lift battery grounds if the coach is going to be unpowered for more than two weeks. If I had AGS, I would not use it in storage, nor would I leave the reefer running (personal preference).

On the main topic, we unload the coach almost completely if no trip is planned within the next 30 days or so. The only things that stay in the exterior compartments are:

- leveling blocks
- emergency and spare gear
- sewer hoses and their parts
- fresh water hoses and their parts
- portable grill
- furniture and patio gear

Inside we may leave:

- cleaning materials (if no freeze is expected, in which case we remove them)
- canned and dry goods above the counter-top level

We have field mice about, and the only way to prevent contamination and destruction of items inside the coach is to not have them there.

Emptying takes between four and eight hours (total), usually over three days.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:42 AM   #13

We empty the fridge and take out any perishable foods and pets . The dirty laundry and dishes are removed , and the water tank is drained. The motorhome is parked a ways from the house with no power connection. The fridge door is left open. We usually get out every second week during camping season.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #14

We remove all food, laundry and medicines. Everything else stays.