Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 01:03 PM   #29

The only thing we’ve ever had stolen was our trailer license plate.
We live in Michigan, they are permanent plates, cost $200.00
jwfrankesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 01:11 PM   #30

I had a step ladder stolen, in broad day light. We also had a big wind wind mill that got stolen (it was apart and in it's bag when it walked away.)

Now, if I can not live without it, it gets put away. Everything else, does not matter. One thing I am very careful about putting away is my $110 - 100 foot heavy-heavy duty extension cord with multiple plugs on the end. The wire is almost as thick as a 30 amp RV power cord, and heavy! I make sure it's never left outside unattended. It's a hassle man-handling, but I paid too much to loos it. Everything else, it just doesn't matter. My outside furniture is ageing pretty good now. If something got stolen, it would just be a good excuse to finally buy something new.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrankesq View Post
The only thing we’ve ever had stolen was our trailer license plate.
We live in Michigan, they are permanent plates, cost $200.00
My Missouri plates are like that too, I never thought of them as a target for theft, but I guess a permanent out of state plate seems like an easy free pass for an unregistered trailer because they don't get run that often.

We leave out just about everything: grills, chairs, plants, firepit, inner tubes, just chain up the bikes and the kayaks and put the yeti in the bay. Our stuff is well-worn, so if someone needs it more than I do, I hope they get as much use out of it as me. It's just stuff and we've probably got too much anyway.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:18 PM   #32

If they take the whole rig, maybe I can buy something nicer next time lol
Old 08-03-2021, 08:24 PM   #33

Size 14 boots on steps and logging chain spiked in ground

Nothing has walked away.........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:13 PM   #34

Had a cooler stolen about 25 years ago, that's it so far. We don't worry about locking up most things but I figure there's always a chance the kayaks could "sail" away in the middle of the night. I usually run a cable through the scupper holes to help keep that from happening.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:30 PM   #35

We leave nothing out, ever since someone stole a couple of cheap leveling blocks.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:53 PM   #36
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We usually leave two chairs, small folding table and a door mat, which is typically all we ever put out. We've never had anything stolen in 45+ years of RVing, but I have caught some juveniles stealing gear from a friend's site.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:59 PM   #37

We leave chairs and BBQ out, we put the electric bikes in the belly, the bluetooth speaker away( JBL boom box that annoys the neighbors lol). We had some fellow campers come by and warned us about our bikes in Palm springs and were warned that bikes disappeared in Chula Vista
Theturboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The only things left out and not secured are the little rugs or mats. If some low-life needs those more than I do, he is welcome to them. Bikes, grill, generators and smoker are all chained down. At least they will have to work to get them.

Ken
Old 08-04-2021, 12:42 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So if thievery is so low in parks why do people lock their lower compartment doors? The stuff inside costs far less than the doors (don't forget getting them painted) if broke into.
If they do steal the junk inside I get NEW!
Old 08-04-2021, 12:52 PM   #40

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewloker View Post
I lock up the “Watch Dog”.

And the receiver hitch.

The WD because it is a bright light drawing attention to itself and would be an easy target.

The hitch, despite the fact that somebody would have a heck of a time running anywhere with it, but in the event that a thief did strike, and take my hitch, I would be in a real pickle.
I too lock up the WD but also cover it with a dark plastic bag so that it's not noticeable. That thing is bright!
Old 08-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
So if thievery is so low in parks why do people lock their lower compartment doors? The stuff inside costs far less than the doors (don't forget getting them painted) if broke into.
If they do steal the junk inside I get NEW!
This is a great point. I also just hate the hassle of locks, especially with the shared key that everyone has. We replaced the locking tab with a thumb turn one on the generator door, the door to the electrical compartment, and one of our storage bays. So those are completely unlockable. Then I replaced the key locks on the large storage bay doors with combination units. I rarely lock them, but it does happen sometimes on travel days.

So, I guess I've reduced my chance of door damage by 75%....
Old 08-04-2021, 04:06 PM   #42

My hitch has a locking pin on it, so a little bit of a deterrent. My WD bars actually go into the pass through that is typically locked. A thief could steal the hinged pieces on the trailer that the chains attach to, if they have a wrench on them.

I guess my backup plan would be to find the closest Harbor Freight, they typically stock a Chinese knock off of my Curt WD hitch, no sway control as far as I remember. But it could get me home.

Tags
amps