Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I thought I was clear, when an RV has a sticker saying, "Solar Ready" it most often means that the manufacturer ran wires from the roof to the battery compartment perhaps sized for a 10-15 WATT solar battery maintainer. No controller, most likely wires not gauged to handle the current generated by 100's of WATTS of solar panels.
The OP needs to check with the manufacturer to see what his unit has.

In my case, the moho claimed to be pre-wired for solar, and I used that wire for my 1,050 watts of panels.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Babcock,

Thanks for the link to Continuous Resourses! He's got some of the best prices on the Internet. I bought an adjustable mount for my new panel for $3 less than anywhere else. This morning I got a thank you note from Matt. I wish I’d found him years ago.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Babcock,

Thanks for the link to Continuous Resourses! He's got some of the best prices on the Internet. I bought an adjustable mount for my new panel for $3 less than anywhere else. This morning I got a thank you note from Matt. I wish I’d found him years ago.
I bought my BMV-712 monitor from him for $185 shipped
Old 12-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #32

I think the Monocrystalline panels are better from what I can tell. It seems like its better to pay a little more for higher efficiency and a longer warranty than it is to save a little upfront but pay more on the back end. Either way you're going to spend the money so you might as well get something you can rely on for longer.
SpDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #33
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I thought I was clear, when an RV has a sticker saying, "Solar Ready" it most often means that the manufacturer ran wires from the roof to the battery compartment perhaps sized for a 10-15 WATT solar battery maintainer. No controller, most likely wires not gauged to handle the current generated by 100's of WATTS of solar panels. Direct Current is heavily influenced not only by wire gauge but distance. From the center of the roof down to the battery or electronics compartment you're often talking 15' or more of wire run. While AC can travel distances like that, DC needs to be up-sized to go that distance. Here's a wire sizing resource for solar, you can't go wrong if you go a size larger.
JT and Searching_UT were talking about the possibility of using 16 gauge wire for 1600w panels. It is possible. Even with 800w in series + 800w in series then parallel, as only as 100v or higher, the current is only about 10a give or take.

My previous owner put 200w on the roof with 14g wires. I tossed the panels and installed 1000w on this set, 2 x 250w (48v) panels in series then paralleled with another 2 x 250w. I have observed that most times it's only about 7A coming down.

I have another set with 7 x 250w 48v all in parallel but with a pair of 6g wires.

Both sets work great.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #34

I believe I mentioned the current would be less than 10 amp but that personally I wouldn’t use 16 gauge. For my own system I went more HandyBob wire sized, although he might have gone 10 gauge. I kept all 10 of my 100 watt panels in parallel, two banks of 500 watts each. Each bank hits a single combiner box where Each of the two banks get 6 gauge wire down to the charge controllers which are PWM bogart SC2030s. Controlled by the trimetric they are really good battery chargers when it comes to lead acid batts compared to most.

Remember, especially with Mppt charge controllers, voltage loss in the wiring between the panels and controllers makes a difference in output to the batts.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #35

16 Ga reported by OP should be 6 Ga for Newmar

I was reading on multiple sites that Newmar does use 6Ga as their solar prep, so possibly that was what the OP meant to say makes more sense for the installer as well if using series/ parallel panel setup.
Colin59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:09 PM   #36

Calculate your voltage drops for your runs and size the wire gauge to keep the voltage drops at 2% or less and you can't go wrong.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:21 AM   #37

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin59 View Post
I was reading on multiple sites that Newmar does use 6Ga as their solar prep, so possibly that was what the OP meant to say makes more sense for the installer as well if using series/ parallel panel setup.
That makes more sense. I'm in the process of upgrading my charge controller from 20 to 30 amps. I'm playing with 8 and 10 gauge since the battery compartment and charge controller are only inches apart. I suspect that 16 ga would instantly melt
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #38

solar ready probably means there is a hole in the roof so you can run cords
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar