Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2019, 04:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
you had better not do it in Oregon DEQ says gray water is BAD for the ecology. I know you said you use bio soaps and what not, but what about all the people that DON'T. that soap doesn't degrade, rain water can create run off into streams and lakes. the soap causes all kinds of problems.
Jay D.
You are probably right, the government always knows what is best for us.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Ask the park manager. Explain that you didnt like the location of the premium site, offer to pay the difference.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Overthinking is a campground sin...
Old 10-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtriker View Post
You're camping in a state park where each site has water and electric. A few sites have a sewer connection - these sites are called premium sites. The cost of both the premium and regular sites is the same. However, no discounts can be applied towards the price of a premium site, thus they cost more. Further, the premium sites are located in the bright sunshine, no tree shade what-so-ever and even with the sewer connection seem to be less desirable and usually empty.

Now my question - You're camping on a non-sewer site and it's time to drain off some liquid from your GRAY tank. You fill your little blue wagon and do you: 1 - drag it the 1/2 mile or so to the dump station or 2 - drag it up a few sites to the empty premium site?????
I would do and have done the ethically correct thing and dump at the dump station.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #33

Anyone concerned about some gray water on the ground isn't aware of the animals including rats, mice, squirrels, armadillo, skunks, deer, snakes and other reptiles etc etc etc making big potty where ever and when they get the urge.
And they empty their kidneys the same way.

Not to mention the insects.
And if you think that is insignificant remember the weight of all those animals far exceeds the weight of all the humans on earth.
Now you wanna consider swimming in a pristine lake filled with and surrounded by all those same pristine animals?
BTW where to fish pee and poop?
66lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #34

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtriker View Post

Now my question - You're camping on a non-sewer site and it's time to drain off some liquid from your GRAY tank. You fill your little blue wagon and do you: 1 - drag it the 1/2 mile or so to the dump station or 2 - drag it up a few sites to the empty premium site?????
Depends on who is watching!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #35

Don’t block up the dump station. Use the empty premium site!
Barryengleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #36

grey water

Once upon a time, many years ago, a certain camper thought it would be harmless to let his grey water slowly drip out of a barely opened bayonet valve. Within hours, the campsite became the new fly hotel for the entire campground. Not to mention, the damp ground brought all of the mosquitoes in the campground to the party. Lesson learned by anonymous camper!
Davemik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
I would do and have done the ethically correct thing and dump at the dump station.
You mean, you would do what "YOU" feel is ethically correct. It doesn't necessarily make it so, but allows "you" to sleep at night.
Oldcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:58 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojim View Post
I say # 2 … but ask campground host ..
It all goes into the same septic system. I don't think it unethical or illegal to just use an unoccupied site.
JD22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGrizz View Post
First. I'm not talking about dumping on the grass of a neighbor or my own. I have 30 ft. of drain hose and a connection for a garden hose and I can water that thirsty old cottonwood 100 ft. away.

Second. We don't use chemicals. Biodegradable dish soap and bath soap. Very little food stuff goes down our drain. A few peas or kernels of corn maybe, and the wild critters are happy to take care of that.

Third. When we are told that it is OK to do this I leave it connected so there is never a puddle. Sometimes move the end of the hose to a different spot. I started this over 20 yrs. ago in South Dakota when the owner of the park was asking folks to do it. I have suggested it to other parks some say ok some say no.
Sooooo, you’re saying that the bath/shower water is not contaminated? Even after washing your ‘nether regions’? Yikes! Just because some park owner wants you to spread your sewage around, doesn’t mean s/he understands how contaminated grey tank fluids can be. Please keep your fluids to yourself, thank you very much.
walt_embree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:08 PM   #40

Just because a camp ground clerk said its OK to dump the grey water on the ground does not make it the correct of lawful thing to do. You need to presume that most local regulators are going to have laws prohibiting the discharge of wash water on the ground be it from a kitchen, shower or a washing machine.

People keep bringing up that squirrels and other animals urinate and more on the ground however even that poses problems. I grew up in Northern Massachusetts where Lake Cochichewick is used as a reservoir for the residents of North Andover. The water commission has to monitor the health of the animals in the area since their urine and droppings have at times left the water compromised so that boiled water alerts have to be issued until whatever illness that is impacting the wildlife in the area has run its coarse and/or been brought under control. At times they even would have to set traps to try and capture the beaver in the area for examination and treatment. We would call them Sick Beaver Alerts when the boiled water alerts were posted in the news paper, by radio, etc.

Newfound Lake in New Hampshire had quite a problem for years with campers dumping their grey water which caused issues with soap and algae scum on the lake. It was not much fun to be at one of the many swimming beaches when someone dumped their gray water near the lake and the soap bubbles floated into the swimming area stinging the eyes of the swimmers with some getting skin rashes from the soap/detergent that was now in the water.

Grey water has nutrients, soaps, fats, oils and phosphates in it and is considered a fertilizer so it should not be discharged onto the ground especially where it can get into the watershed, streams, lakes, rivers, etc.

So the reality is that dumping grey water on the ground can and has historically caused many problems over the years and therefore is rightly regulated and often considered illegal for good reason.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66lima View Post
Anyone concerned about some gray water on the ground isn't aware of the animals including rats, mice, squirrels, armadillo, skunks, deer, snakes and other reptiles etc etc etc making big potty where ever and when they get the urge.
And they empty their kidneys the same way.

Not to mention the insects.
And if you think that is insignificant remember the weight of all those animals far exceeds the weight of all the humans on earth.
Now you wanna consider swimming in a pristine lake filled with and surrounded by all those same pristine animals?
BTW where to fish pee and poop?
Just by our very diet patterns, including who-knows-what pharmaceuticals, beverages, and processed foods many people pour into their bodies (mine included), I’d say the critter’s poo is no match to humans on the toxicity scale. However, you are correct about water. As W.C. Fields pointed out...”Water? Never touch the stuff. Fish..... eh humm in it!”
walt_embree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #42

On the OP question I would ask for permission to use the sewer connection at the full hookup site for dumping my honey wagon and not just assume its OK. If permission is granted then be on your best behavior and leave the sewer hookup and fresh water spigot cleaner than you found it bringing a short length of garden hose to help ensure that.

I have stayed at parks where its just not practical to be regularly driving a coach that's on the cusp of too large through some of the smaller state parks so if the dump stations was a very long hike I would ask but not assume or demand. An Old Italian Expression comes to mind that loosely translated is "Like Butter on the Nose" (soothing an irritation not creating one) is the way you want to be when you ask if they could help you with this.