Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We've made one night drive or roughly 300 miles so far ... the freeway portion of it wasn't bad at all. As others have mentioned the lighter traffic is nice. I wasn't as crazy about driving the 70 mile stretch of "2 lane". It was a cloudy night - so zero help from moon light. It was a relatively forested stretch ... so the possibility of a deer encounter made me a little nervous.

Make sure you remember how to dim any/everything on your dashboard. The 7" screen on our Magnadyne M3 Radio/Camera/GPS unit was bright to the point of being a significant distraction once we got out of populated areas. Had to stop at the first rest area and pull out the manual and review how to dim it.

We were headed to the home of some friends to moochdock for a week. We needed to make night mission to fit the drive between work commitments on Tuesday - and plans with our friends early Wednesday morning. Rather than arriving in the dead of night - we pulled up short of their place and slept at a Walmarts leaving us just 15 miles to finish in the morning.

Night driving wouldn't be my first choice (I prefer seeing the scenery) ... but if/when it makes to best make plans work - I wouldn't automatically say no to it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 05:44 AM   #16

Big Thanks!

Thank you all for your input. Lots of good advice.
336Muffin,
Thank you for your comments....makes a lot of sense. DW is good with it and we plan on getting plenty of rest before leaving. We also will take naps if needed and arrive at the RV park at around 9:00am the following day.
I will post an update after we arrive in Raton, NM where the temps drop 20 degrees and the scenery greatly improves from the TX panhandle.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:13 AM   #17

Sounds like you are in big flat country. That would have me thinking about a good driving light or two to get a longer reach when running alone. Keep them off in traffic.

I agree with all the good comments about night driving! ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #18

Like Lloyd, DW and I always leave the evening before our vacation starts to get a jump on where we are going to. Why go to bed at home to wake up early in the AM to start what could've been started 12 hours earlier. We enjoy the less crowded roads at night, though we typically don't drive past 10 PM. Good headlights are a must. Our previous rig had terrible lights and though we still left the night before, at times it was trying. Our Georgetown has excellent lights with fog lights too.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #19

I used to love driving at night but now I'm paranoid about deer, especially on the prairies of the Midwest. Odd.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #20

With your motorhome in your signature driving during the hot day wouldn't be an issue. You'd stay cool in the motorhome so heat is not a problem.

We tried driving at night when we were much younger and on vacation schedules but never felt comfortable doing it. To us it was because of tiredness - even if you rest beforehand, poor visibility, other drivers and more drunk drivers at night after the bars close, animals, lack of facilities open, if needed, and boredom. Your eyes can only focus at the road lines and various lights and this will make your eyes tired.

It's common sense that one wouldn't pull into a RV park during the night hours and disturb others.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
niceguy9605,
You didn't mention where your leaving from but if you're headed toward Raton via Santa Rosa there are a couple of great truck stops there that you could catch a quick nap if needed and break the trip up some. The Love's is my favorite as it's on the hill with a great view & quiet.

The folks that post they don't want to miss the view/scenery mean well but don't understand how many miles most Texans travel in their daily life. Most of us are probably very familiar with the scenery within a 200 mile radius of our home and it's hard to get excited about seeing it again. Night driving has always been my favorite because we see the same 300-500 miles just to get out of our "neighborhood" every time we load up and head somewhere! By driving the first leg at nite we're able to enjoy the "new" or maybe just different scenery in the daylight the next day.

Be safe, have fun, and enjoy your trip! We just got home from the Enchanted Circle and the weather was great.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:42 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
niceguy9605,

The folks that post they don't want to miss the view/scenery mean well but don't understand how many miles most Texans travel in their daily life. Most of us are probably very familiar with the scenery within a 200 mile radius of our home and it's hard to get excited about seeing it again. Night driving has always been my favorite because we see the same 300-500 miles just to get out of our "neighborhood" every time we load up and head somewhere! By driving the first leg at nite we're able to enjoy the "new" or maybe just different scenery in the daylight the next day.

Be safe, have fun, and enjoy your trip! We just got home from the Enchanted Circle and the weather was great.
That's a really good point, the first 4-5 hours of driving from my S&B is so familiar, there's nothing to miss and the roads are very familiar as well. Burning up an evening driving that distance is comfortable to do.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:27 AM   #23

Thanks Again Folks,

At first DW was not to keen on the night driving idea but after reading all the good comments........she is IN. Before we married as a single full timer I would night drive all the time. I loved seeing the sun set and the beautiful sun rises. Yes, a lot more BUGS! I know if I hadn't become an AF pilot I would have been a over-the-road big truck driver and loved every mile.
We will be leaving east texas (Tyler) at 8:00pm 7/24 drive 364miles and spend the first stay in Quantum, TX at a nice park and rest up. Then, head out the next morning at 8:00am for another 350miles to Raton, NM and stay at the RV Park at the summit. Our final destination is Tacoma, WA and the grandkids.
We plan to return to east TX Oct 1st (home base) for the winter by way of Iowa (Field of Dreams).

Happy Camping
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:18 AM   #24

niceguy, sounds like a real nice trip. Enjoy and be safe, Happy Travels!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #25

I would approach the first few "night runs" as tests. My advice would be to proceed with your idea cautiously.

I USED to be able to drive all night without issue. I'm still comfortable driving at night, with no glare or other night vision issues, but maybe more easily bored I think? I cannot make the distances I used to make even 5 years ago, without fatigue setting in.

Additionally, if you find yourself uncertain, get the coach off of the road. Do not try to make that 10-20 miles to the next rest area. There's a reason you see those semi's sitting on entrance ramps (but please, not the exit side!).
Old 07-19-2015, 05:31 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two major problems with night driving.

The first is glare senistivity. Epically as you get older you tend to become more senistive to glare,, (From oncoming headlights)

The second is this.. For most people a biological happens long about 4-5 AM Now when I first started RVing I was used to working other than 9a-5P so I did not have that low at that hour,, Night driving was fun. but for many starting around 3-4PM you get very very sleepy, very very sleepy.

That said.. If you can adjust your sleep pattern there are some major advantages to night driving.. FIRFST it is cooler.. In fact way cooler since during the heat of the day you have your blinds closed.

Second; Those places that get upset about "Overnight" parking,, generally do not have a problem with "over day" parking.

Finally you pull into the Campground in the morning after folks are awake and up so the noise of your parking and set up does not bother 'em, then you pull out while they are partying in the evening and again do not noice your noise.

For me.. Weather reqauiring,, I will adjust my sleep patterns.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
So my question would be this: if you are staying at campgrounds then they have a specific time when you must check out, usually 11 or 12 noon. What do you do about that if you are driving at night? I can understand if you just stop at rest areas and truck stops but stopping at a campground could pose a problem about check-in and check-out times.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
We often drive at night (especially through states like North Dakota, Texas, and Kansas). As others have said, there is much less traffic and the temps are usually much nicer. Not sure that I would want to drive ALL night, however. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote