Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2022, 01:13 PM   #1

What else could go wrong???

So now why I patiently wait for my appointment next week for my issues that I've been having with my engine and transmission I noticed there is water backing up into my shower which is strange because I never ever use my shower I have boxes stored in there and I take a look and it's got 2 inches of water in it fun stuff. Can somebody tell me how I can get like schematics to see where my RV piping goes and if it's gray water or black water I'm assuming it's gray water since it's the shower how do I unclog it cuz the last time I went to the dump station not much came out of my gray tank. Thanks guys.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2022, 01:34 PM   #2

Some RV's have the bathroom sink plumbed into the black tank. To discover how yours is plumbed, drain both tanks, black first-close valve when empty; leave the gray valve open after emptying it and run water in the bathroom sink, if no water/or water exits the grey tank you have your answer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:48 PM   #3

The shower is usually plumbed to the grey tank. It sounds like you.may have an issue with the grey tank drain valve. 1st, get as much water as you can from the shower pan. Then run water in the kitchen sink. I if the water in the shower pan raises, your grey tank is full.
Take it to a dump station and open the grey tank. And see if any thing comes out. If not, you probably need to replace the drain valve.
Old 07-04-2022, 02:05 PM   #4

My gray water pipes plugged up this spring. It was from grease buildup.

I capped the waste valve with the cap that a garden hose can connect to. I connected a water hose to the cap. opened the gray tank valve and turned on the water , pushing water up into the gray tank.

I shut off the water,, closed the valve and then opened the dump valve, watching chunks of grease run out.

Filled the tank to 1/2 again, added grease cutting cleaner, drove to the next camp ground and dumped again. Seems all OK now.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 02:22 PM   #5

Yup, when liquid grease cools and congeals it sticks to anything. We always retain and carry empty 1# coffee cans for grease disposal. Pour in plastic(after cooling a bit) or metal can, allow to congeal, dispose of in regular trash. I first thought the plastic cans would melt, but I was proved wrong.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
My gray water pipes plugged up this spring. It was from grease buildup.

I capped the waste valve with the cap that a garden hose can connect to. I connected a water hose to the cap. opened the gray tank valve and turned on the water , pushing water up into the gray tank.

I shut off the water,, closed the valve and then opened the dump valve, watching chunks of grease run out.

Filled the tank to 1/2 again, added grease cutting cleaner, drove to the next camp ground and dumped again. Seems all OK now.
Unfortunately I think that's what it is but I had no idea this is still like I've only been in this thing for a year and I hardly use the sink let alone I've never used the shower and I just really depressed because I'm supposed to be taking this thing to the mechanic on Wednesday and I feel like now I have to spend my day cleaning all this up because I think it's leaked over into my carpet in the back of the RV cuz it feels damn back there and I'm just beside myself because I feel like my brother just picked the crappiest one out and and got it for me when we looked at such nice ones I just don't understand but thank you so much I'm going to try that I just need to find a place to do it
Old 07-05-2022, 11:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misjudg View Post
Unfortunately I think that's what it is but I had no idea this is still like I've only been in this thing for a year and I hardly use the sink let alone I've never used the shower and I just really depressed because I'm supposed to be taking this thing to the mechanic on Wednesday and I feel like now I have to spend my day cleaning all this up because I think it's leaked over into my carpet in the back of the RV cuz it feels damn back there and I'm just beside myself because I feel like my brother just picked the crappiest one out and and got it for me when we looked at such nice ones I just don't understand but thank you so much I'm going to try that I just need to find a place to do it
The previous owner probably abused the grease stuff.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:37 PM   #8

A decent shop vac might pull whatever through. Might need some duct tape to seal connection.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:25 AM   #9

Ok guys I poured hot water down drain. Then baking soda. Then white vinegar. The a little more water. Let sit for 20 min. Opened valve and it worked! Continue to pour hot water down it for a little bit to clean it out then I kept it and I did it one more time but I added a little borax and Dawn and then I flushed it out again with hot water just to make sure but it immediately the the shower drained so then I did that down the shower drain as well but I have to I have to I'm going to have to redo that whole bathroom it's just it was never very nice to begin with and clearly the previous owner did not take care of this RV and just abuse the hell out of it and bums me out because it's been my home for a year now and I'm trying to make the best of it but I keep getting hit with these surprises and it shouldn't be happening so soon I'm very careful and I research everything I asked questions and just everything just seems to stop working and falling apart because the guy didn't take care of it my brother clearly didn't look into things like he said he did and that's why he probably dumped it off at me and then took off cuz he knew I would look through it and start asking a lot of questions because I I'm a little mechanically savvy I worked on cars in the eighties I went to school for it I used to work on muscle cars and RVs are a little intimidating though and I'm older I don't do as much as I did before but I do a lot of it myself it's just overwhelming this is supposed to be my end games supposed to be my home and instead of me having a happy ending it's just been hell. I love my RV it's grown on me now and I want to make it work so wish me luck today at my appointment. What
Old 07-08-2022, 07:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misjudg View Post
Ok guys I poured hot water down drain. Then baking soda. Then white vinegar. The a little more water. Let sit for 20 min. Opened valve and it worked! Continue to pour hot water down it for a little bit to clean it out then I kept it and I did it one more time but I added a little borax and Dawn and then I flushed it out again with hot water just to make sure but it immediately the the shower drained so then I did that down the shower drain as well but I have to I have to I'm going to have to redo that whole bathroom it's just it was never very nice to begin with and clearly the previous owner did not take care of this RV and just abuse the hell out of it and bums me out because it's been my home for a year now and I'm trying to make the best of it but I keep getting hit with these surprises and it shouldn't be happening so soon I'm very careful and I research everything I asked questions and just everything just seems to stop working and falling apart because the guy didn't take care of it my brother clearly didn't look into things like he said he did and that's why he probably dumped it off at me and then took off cuz he knew I would look through it and start asking a lot of questions because I I'm a little mechanically savvy I worked on cars in the eighties I went to school for it I used to work on muscle cars and RVs are a little intimidating though and I'm older I don't do as much as I did before but I do a lot of it myself it's just overwhelming this is supposed to be my end games supposed to be my home and instead of me having a happy ending it's just been hell. I love my RV it's grown on me now and I want to make it work so wish me luck today at my appointment. What
Wow! Good luck!
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote