Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #1

What fell off?

Last trip out I was happily 65mphing along when clank clunk as my lower convex glass mirror of my driver's side Velvac careened off the driver's door glass and committed suicide. Gone. 30 year old mirror glue not so strong anymore apparently.

Later in stop and go traffic I spied something beside the road I recognized as a Winegard TV antenna. Uh-oh. Pretty sure I can guess what happened there.

Later on the interstate an immediately recognizable orange and brown colored black tank hose off to the side.

Topping the day were folks standing (in the left lane!) looking disgustedly at his trailer up against the concrete divider and minus a wheel.

So...what has fallen off yours?
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #2

I had the oil changed in our Roadtrek in Amarillo, TX at a GM dealer on a Saturday. They were extremely busy, and had only one technician in doing everything. We paid, left, and continued on our journey. At a rest area farther down the road, we stopped to let me refill the windshhield washer reservoir (bad day for bugs), and it was then I noticed the oil fill cap sitting on top of the engine. The tech never replaced it after adding new oil. Just lucky, as we drove about 200 miles before we stopped and I noticed it.
So, nothing has fallen off of any of my motorhomes, but I have driven way from fuelstops minus the cap twice. Both times was able to double back and there it was, on top of the pump island where I left it.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:22 AM   #3

Left home in a hurry to get to an appt. for MH work. When I arrived I remembered I had forgotten to unhook my 50A Marinco cord. The same 50A shore power cord was now priced at $329. DW's comments are best left untyped.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:32 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Some time ago we had one of the old TracVision satellite domes on top. We were on the interstate when a car pulled up beside me, with the passenger's window down and she was waving frantically, pointing at my roof!

I immediately pulled over to the shoulder and climbed up on the roof. The plastic cover on the satellite dish was hanging on with one screw! The other five had broken out of the thin plastic! It has obviously been flopping in the wind when the nice folks came up behind us! I took it off for the rest of the trip, then did a fast repair with large fender washers!

I know this doesn't qualify as something that fell off, but it was too close for comfort!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:11 AM   #5

Never anything fell off but (we all have our stories) When making a u turn at the end of a loop, with the pontoon boat behind the 5'er, I mentioned hey look, some fool broke all his lights out and they are laying on the road. I forgot and went the wrong way around and the ladder on the front of the boat trailed busted out all of this fools lights.
Then there's the trip where we're two hours down the road and discovered that the son didn't get all the groceries out of the car on a hot July day. I had told him to get the drinks and things out of the car and put them in the fridge. He just focuses on the drinks and left the meat and milk in the car. Had to drop it at a pizza hut, drive two hours back, then two hours to the pizza hut. So 6 hours into a trip I was only two hours away. And yes, they all sat and had a pizza and didn't save any for me.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
Never anything fell off but (we all have our stories) When making a u turn at the end of a loop, with the pontoon boat behind the 5'er, I mentioned hey look, some fool broke all his lights out and they are laying on the road. I forgot and went the wrong way around and the ladder on the front of the boat trailed busted out all of this fools lights.
Then there's the trip where we're two hours down the road and discovered that the son didn't get all the groceries out of the car on a hot July day. I had told him to get the drinks and things out of the car and put them in the fridge. He just focuses on the drinks and left the meat and milk in the car. Had to drop it at a pizza hut, drive two hours back, then two hours to the pizza hut. So 6 hours into a trip I was only two hours away. And yes, they all sat and had a pizza and didn't save any for me.
I guess this thread could also have been titled "when you snooze you lose".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two weeks ago.

Picture it. Driving home from Lynden, WA on I-5. Forty-five mph winds, whipping the rain across the highway. Ten miles in to the journey, passenger side windshield wiper disconnects and slides down the arm.

Managed to pull off a handy exit, snapped the wiper back on. Take off again.

Eight more miles down the road, same thing. This is getting old. Snap it back on, and take off.

Twelve miles more, and once again, the wiper slides down the arm, flapping in the breeze. At this point, I was getting perturbed.

Luckily, rooting through my toolbox I was able to find a single zip tie, which allowed me to fasten the wiper securely enough to get us the remaining fifty miles home.

The first thing I did is order two new windshield wipers. What a day.
dwirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #8

In a very short time...

I've only owned an RV for about 6 months and only taken it on a weekend trip... But I've lost both LEFT and RIGHT side "over the wheel" body panel over the front wheels of my Winnie Vectra Grandprix 37B...

I've reattached them both with screws and large fender washers - they only had screws in the corners and double sided foam tape to hold to the framework!
Old 04-14-2021, 02:09 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Three near misses (that I know of) so far in 2 years:
Shortly after getting coach doing some preventive maint put tool bag on jeep front bumper. Wife drove off with jeep to local grocery store while I was in coach. When she got back (without my new tool bag and all new tools of course) I retraced her travel and found slightly banged up bag with my tools minus 1 wand mirror on side of road a mile from home.
Shortly after leaving campground at last turn before getting on freeway good Samaritan pulls along side me. jumps out of car and tells me I have something hanging off back of coach. Turns out to be me tow rig cover which contains both my AF One air disconnect covers.
Lastly after leaving campground decide to do routine safety check early because we know we will be on local roads with few places to pull over for next couple hrs. I find my phone on front jeep bumper.
I must be just very lucky our have done something really good in a past life to have deserved such good karma
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I had the oil changed in our Roadtrek in Amarillo, TX at a GM dealer on a Saturday. They were extremely busy, and had only one technician in doing everything. We paid, left, and continued on our journey. At a rest area farther down the road, we stopped to let me refill the windshhield washer reservoir (bad day for bugs), and it was then I noticed the oil fill cap sitting on top of the engine. The tech never replaced it after adding new oil. Just lucky, as we drove about 200 miles before we stopped and I noticed it.
So, nothing has fallen off of any of my motorhomes, but I have driven way from fuelstops minus the cap twice. Both times was able to double back and there it was, on top of the pump island where I left it.
A Ford dealership did the same thing to my truck. Had it serviced, got home, went back out, oil puddle under truck. Popped the hood, oil cap sitting on engine. That tech spent a couple unpaid hours cleaning the engine and bay.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:06 PM   #11

I have two good ones, neither one in an RV but both road trips so they kind of count.

First was when I was 17 me and two good friends heading to the rockies to make a "ski" video. We piled all our gear into a small car and we borrowed a roof rack to hold all our ski gear. We didn't make it 50 miles (in a snowstorm of course) and the roof rack rips off the car on I-94 in MN. We quickly pull over and are just about to run out and grab our stuff when a semi truck proceeds to run it all over and destroys everything. Another car swerves to avoid and ends up in the ditch. Hwy patrol was pissed and made us pick up everything and cram it in our already too full car. We were broke and broken so we turned around and went home. I'll never forget that.

Second story I am with a friend and we are flat towing a suzuki samurai from Alabama to Ohio. He is driving and asks me "How is everything looking on your side?" Right as he says that I look back and watch the entire wheel and axle shaft slide out of the rear axle housing on the Samurai! I yell to STOP and the wheel and shaft roll under our truck, make some horrible noises, and shoots off across the road still rolling. It makes it all the way down the center ditch and about to head into oncoming traffic right as it loses steam and rolls back down into the ditch. The wheel bearing had completely failed. That was a nightmare....
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #12

Exact same thing happened to me. Thank you plastic connectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwirch View Post
Two weeks ago.

Picture it. Driving home from Lynden, WA on I-5. Forty-five mph winds, whipping the rain across the highway. Ten miles in to the journey, passenger side windshield wiper disconnects and slides down the arm.

Managed to pull off a handy exit, snapped the wiper back on. Take off again.

Eight more miles down the road, same thing. This is getting old. Snap it back on, and take off.

Twelve miles more, and once again, the wiper slides down the arm, flapping in the breeze. At this point, I was getting perturbed.

Luckily, rooting through my toolbox I was able to find a single zip tie, which allowed me to fasten the wiper securely enough to get us the remaining fifty miles home.

The first thing I did is order two new windshield wipers. What a day.
SchoolTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrktfsh View Post
A Ford dealership did the same thing to my truck. Had it serviced, got home, went back out, oil puddle under truck. Popped the hood, oil cap sitting on engine. That tech spent a couple unpaid hours cleaning the engine and bay.
Funny thing about my episode, after replacing the cap, I checked the oil and she was clean like honey, and still full between the dipstick marks. No drips or blowout that I could see. 2002 5.7L Chevy Vortec.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:01 AM   #14

Did you know that a dually towing a TT can lose the rear RH axle with wheels and tires still attached and stay upright? Seen on I95 somewhere in VA some years back. The WD bars were keeping it off of the ground.
I saw the axle standing upright o the shoulder still attached to the wheels and tires so I started looking for the donor. They weren't too far away standing there scratching their heads.
Personally all I've had fall off was my fresh water tank. Luckily we were still at home just putting 10 gallons in for any needed stops on the way.