Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2022, 09:42 AM   #15
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
We went with 120v to get a 10.4cu ft fridge and freezer that fit the hole exactly.

Readily available at Lowe's and home Depot and under $350

I installed that same fridge a couple months ago, replacing my Norcold fridge. As you stated, it was a direct replacement. Looks like it was installed originally.
We think this mod has been the best upgrade ever. So far I've been good for overnighters with no issues on my 2- 6V house batteries and not needing to run the gen. To be far though, as of now my boondocking is has been limited to overnight in a parking lot while traveling. Solar would be my next investment if my camping habits changed.

I do miss the simple LP usage feature, but not the messing with making sure its level and the wide temp swings the absorption fridge did.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
I installed that same fridge a couple months ago, replacing my Norcold fridge. As you stated, it was a direct replacement. Looks like it was installed originally.
We think this mod has been the best upgrade ever. So far I've been good for overnighters with no issues on my 2- 6V house batteries and not needing to run the gen. To be far though, as of now my boondocking is has been limited to overnight in a parking lot while traveling. Solar would be my next investment if my camping habits changed.

I do miss the simple LP usage feature, but not the messing with making sure its level and the wide temp swings the absorption fridge did.
Can you guys tell me what fridge and inverter you purchased? I will try to buy the exact same setup?
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:52 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Can you guys tell me what fridge and inverter you purchased? I will try to buy the exact same setup?
Fridge: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Ch...00BE/302245062

Renogy 1000W Pure Sine Wave: https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-1000W-.../dp/B07VC5RTK7
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:27 PM   #18
US1

I bought the same fridge as above, the Magic Chef, but went with the Xantrex Prowatt SW 1000 Invertor, transfer switch, and remote turn on/off switch.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:38 PM   #19

Check out our 12 V portable refrigerator!
Old 06-17-2022, 07:02 AM   #20

Official iRV2 Sponsor

DM2652 Failure Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
As you may have seen in another thread, my Dometic Gas/120v fridge died after only 3 years. Coolant unit went bad. Cost to repair is almost as much as new unit and Dometic will not give me a discount.
Anyway...what type of fridge should I buy to replace this? I still want propane because I drycamp a lot. I also don't have solar panels.
Is there a compressor fridge that will do the job?
My model is a Dometic DM 2662.
Thanks
You can see why they fail, we use a DM2652 as a demo, see how long it takes for them to overheat:

Safety Seminar

Go residential if your do not protect the boiler.

The cooling unit you see in this video has been forced by many methods, including off-level operation, to overheat. We quit counting overheat and Fridge Defend protection cycles at 300. 300 times the Fridge Defend protected this fridge cooling unit, this ~10 year old DM2652 still works like new!
Old 06-18-2022, 08:56 AM   #21

Not sure. About 10cf if compressor fridge.
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:26 AM   #22

That Magic Chef fridge is not designed for RV's. Says right in the installation instructions. It needs 5" of clearance top and sides and not recommended for inverter use. That was the issue when I was trying to decide on 12V compressor or 120V compressor. Most all the 120V home fridges had too many restrictions for RV installation.
There are a few 120V home fridges that will work but it takes some time searching them out.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:40 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
That Magic Chef fridge is not designed for RV's. Says right in the installation instructions. It needs 5" of clearance top and sides and not recommended for inverter use. That was the issue when I was trying to decide on 12V compressor or 120V compressor. Most all the 120V home fridges had too many restrictions for RV installation.
There are a few 120V home fridges that will work but it takes some time searching them out.
No household fridge is designed for RV usage. It's a legal disclaimer.

No functional difference exists, and household refrigerators are commonly used in RVs
All 3 of my Newmar RVs included a presidential refrigerator that said not for RV use. Came directly from the factory this way.

The magic chef 120v is simply the best price and fit for direct replacement of the dometic dual fuel 7-8cu ft, and had 10cu ft of space.

Btw, it also states don't use an inverter. Ignore that too, as long as you have adequate power and pure sine wave.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:48 AM   #24

I boondock with my all electric Horizon 42Q
My fridge lasts about 2 days without recharging.
It’s Samsung 23ft residential fridge. Bigger that the one I have in the house
But I do have 6 gel batteries and a 3000 watt inverter.
I set my auto Gen to kick in at 12.2 volts.
My Gen will charge to 13.3 volts and kick off.
So I can go many days but I usually do a day or two on a trip.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post

I am thinking of replacing our Norcold, and I am wondering how you attached the frig so it won't tip over.
rhenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:05 PM   #26

We have the Dometic 4101 12v compressor and have grown to like it. No leveling concerns, cools down fast on morning of departure. Gets really, really cold if you want it to, and it’s much bigger than the absorption fridge which fits the same space. However, you must have a big battery and solar to make it work for boondocking. If you rv primarily post to post, and you have a dc/dc charger, everything will be fine. It consumes 50ah/day nominally. So, whatever method of charging you use: solar, generator, shore power, dc/dc, you need to be able to replace every day into your battery system the 50ah that the fridge will need.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:20 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenning View Post
I am thinking of replacing our Norcold, and I am wondering how you attached the frig so it won't tip over.
In the back, 3 screws thru the plate into the wood platform, along with a custom made bracket.

In the front, 4 brackets, attaching lower and upper corners to the wood frame.

At the top, a trimmed 1x4 attached to the wood framing hides the brackets and makes it look very clean.

I don't have picture of final install but will take it tomorrow.Attachment 368650Click image for larger version

Name:	20220607_161413.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	368651Click image for larger version

Name:	20220607_161541.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	368652
Old 06-18-2022, 07:53 PM   #28
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenning View Post
In my case…….
The fridge has threaded holes on top for either left or right hand door swing. I used a hole on each side and ran a bolt thru the cabinet bottom above the fridge with a spacer block as fill in. Same concept as an under cabinet microwave.
Then from the outside thru the access panel, I just drilled 2 holes thru the bottom bracket and screwed to the floor, same as the dometic I removed. The fridge s solid as a rock.

Tags
fridge