Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
It's really not that big of a deal, assuming you can handle a day or so delay and plan on staying in Bakersfield. The bad weather usually doesn't last long and the altitude isn't so high that the bad road conditions won't pass in a day or so. Once you get to Bakersfield, just listen to the weather and road reports and go when it looks good, timing things so you hit the higher altitudes after things have warmed up. If things are really bad, you can always take a more southerly route.

We've made the round trip three times in January, towing a TT, and were only delayed once in six crossings and then only for a day.
Been thru Tehachapi many times, all months of the year, been some snow. never delayed. What southerly route were you thinking of, south on I5 is the grapevine. If there is snow in Tehachapi, you won't get thru the Grapevine. The other southerly route would be going over to the coast and taking Hwy 101.

Glenn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverforest View Post
Bruce's ??? where or what was that ?
Bruce's was a great big truck stop on 58 as you came into Bakersfield. Saddlesore can probably tell you all about it.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #31

We have stayed there a few times in our travels recently. Great staff, quiet, and the coyotes had pupped and got to see them with mama. Late in the year they are slow and not many people are there.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Been thru Tehachapi many times, all months of the year, been some snow. never delayed. What southerly route were you thinking of, south on I5 is the grapevine. If there is snow in Tehachapi, you won't get thru the Grapevine. The other southerly route would be going over to the coast and taking Hwy 101.

Glenn
You're right, I really hadn't thought it all the way through. You'd have to go to the coast. As I mentioned before, we were only delayed once and then mainly to be on the cautious side by deciding to stay in Bakersfield.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #33

Snow is not the problem. It gets colder at night if the sky is clear, especially if it's windy.
Dan Paymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #34

one night should not be a problem, sure it does snow, but rarely lasts long. or gets that cold.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:41 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
The other problem with Tehachapi that you need to be aware of is that the freight trains don't stop for the night - long, long freight trains pulled by massive strings of locomotives come through the pass ALL NIGHT LONG shaking the ground. I stopped there once and got very little sleep.....
Old 11-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #36

It would have to get pretty cold before having to worry about your water freezing while you are using the camper. If we worried about a little snow, our season would be pretty short up north.

esox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:50 PM   #37

If it gets below 30F for hours, at bed time run the cold water tap until the water flows freely & feels slightly warmer to empty the water hose of cold, cold water. If up in the night run it again. works for us when we travel through illinois, Indiana in January
Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
spending one night in a park in Tehachapi, ca. I don't know if it will snow, but it can. do I need RV antifreeze? we don't drink from the fresh water tank, just for washing & flushing toilet.
I only worry about any temp's going below about 29 and staying there for a long time. Couple that with wind and it could freeze lowested areas of basement water tanks or plumbing. I would be most concerned with the water hose into the coach and the black and gray water dump hose's.
wkessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #39

Quote:
spending one night in a park in Tehachapi, ca. I don't know if it will snow, but it can. do I need RV antifreeze? we don't drink from the fresh water tank, just for washing & flushing toilet.
I'd be much more worried about how cold it might get as opposed to whether or not it will snow.
66lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #40

We stayed at Mountain View a couple of weeks ago, nice little park. Since they have electric hook ups you can run your heater and water heater with no problem. If you are still worried about the water tank freezing, add an incandescent light next to the tank. That should keep some heat in the compartment to help prevent freezing.
There is an RV park in California City, just off of the 14 hwy, and another one in Mojave, neither are far from Tehachapi. The trains are only a problem if you stay at the RV park at the Municipal Airport in Tehachapi. Mountain View is at the glider airport about a mile south of the Pilot Truck stop.
Another option is the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds in Lancaster. They are also off of the 14 and have hook ups.
baluncru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
Make snow angels

But NOT in a dog park.
Flyhigh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi RiverForest,

I agree with ThePowells about pulling in the slides if snow is a possibility. Getting it off the slide toppers is a pain, and not the safest thing to do.

Ditto on everybody that mentioned the Orange Grove RV Park. It's wonderful and we've been stopping there twice a year for many years.

Just a thought from an ex-trucker: If you anticipate bad weather (snow or ice) and there is a mountain between you and your destination, Go Over The Mountain now (if safe), not later. And don't sit on top of the mountain waiting for problems to possibly come your way, keep driving until you get to a lower elevation, then bed down. Mojave is 1200 feet lower than Tehachapi although I have no idea what RV Parks might be available.

Cheers!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote