Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2017, 08:19 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What is does your Air Break test actually cover?

So a bit of background, over here you need to do a separate course/test to drive anything over 7.5 tonnes (16,500 lb)* and another to actually tow anything behind something over 7.5 tonnes.
They are both pretty full on courses typically taking 4 days and the pass rate is only about 50%. The test vehicle is at least 12 tonnes maximum mass (26,500lb) so has air brakes, so obviously the course is done on vehicles with air brakes too, now the only thing I can think of that they covered was waiting for sufficient pressure, testing for leaks and making sure to drain the cylinders of water regularly, but that was pretty much it, actually *using* the brakes was not really much difference than using normal vacum assisted hydralic brakes.
So my question is what does your "air brakes test" actually cover?

* Actually you can only drive upto 7.5 tonnes if you passed before some date in 1997, if you passed afterwards it's only upto 3.5 tonnes (7,700lb) and there is another date after which you can't tow anything more than 750Kg with anything unless you do another test.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
• For Safety...chock coach wheel to prevent movement during test.

• For Safety...adjust seat and fasten seat belt for testing.

• Governor Check.
○ Run engine, governed speed.
○ Charge system to 120 psi cutout...listen for pop-off.
○ Pump brakes and look for governor cut-in at 100 psi.

• Alarm Warnings Check/Emergency Braking Check.
○ Ignition OFF-ON-IN. With engine shutdown, parking brake released, wheels chocked...pump brakes. Note the PSI where the aural alarm and alarm indicator light illuminates. Continue to pump brakes...Note pressure at which the Park Brake Control pops out.
○ Start Engine, governed speed...Note pressure at which Alarms go out.
○ Note pressures here...

• Recovery Time Check.
○ Allow tank to recharge completely.
○ Note pressure as you apply the service brake completely.
○ Continue to pump brakes to no greater than 90psi.
○ Run engine at governed speed.
○ As tank pressure builds...note the time that it takes for the pressure to go from the previously noted pressure - back to 120psi.
○ Recovery time should NOT exceed 30 seconds.

• Reserve Capacity Check.
○ When pressure returns to 120 psi.
○ Ignition OFF-ON-OUT.
○ With Park brake parked, and engine off...apply service brake completely.
○ Pressure should NOT drop more than 25 psi.

• Leak Check.
○ Brakes Released Check
§ Ignition still OFF-ON-OUT
§ Wait one minute
§ Note Pressure...
§ Watch for 1 minute.
§ Pressure should NOT drop more than 2 psi in one minute.
○ Brakes Set Check.
§ Push parking brake - IN.
§ Apply Service Brake.
§ Note Pressure...
§ Watch for 1 minute.
§ Pressure should NOT drop more than 3 psi in one min.

• Post Check Configuration.
○ Pull parking brake - OUT.
○ Ignition - OFF.
○ Wheel Chocks - REMOVE and STORE.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Question: I'm assuming OFF-ON-OUT and similar mean Ignition OFF-Key to ON-Parking brake knob pulled OUT....true??
Also, is "governed speed" just idle speed rpm (500-1000 RPM) or the fast idle speed rpm (1000-1500 RPM)?
And thanks, this outline is very helpful.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
In Texas, the driver testing for the class B exempt licenses (for RV over 26,000 lbs) doesn't have to pass the air brake test, but the vehicle does. the examiner usually guides the driver through the brake check which involves these items.

The air system has to build and maintain air pressure
The governor should cut off at 120-125 psi
The system can't loose more than 2 psi in one minute with your foot off the brake
The system can't loose more than 3 psi in one minute with your foot on the brake
The parking brake should not allow the vehicle to move
The service brake should stop the vehicle without any pulling side to side
The system should alarm when the air pressure falls below 60 psi
The spring brakes have to come on automatically when air pressure falls to 20-45 psi
Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Was thinking more about the testing of the driver rather than the vehicle, over here all vehicles* have an annual safety test (Usually called an MOT: Ministry of Transport test, even though the relevant ministry hasn't been called that in decades) which covers most of the major systems (brakes, steering, suspension, emissions, structure, etc.) which are usually more stringent on "commercial" vehicles**.

*Older than 3 years I think.

**Although motorhomes have the same test as cars, finding some where with a ramp or a pit for something weighing 12 tonnes+ can be interesting.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvistheKing View Post
Was thinking more about the testing of the driver rather than the vehicle, over here all vehicles* have an annual safety test (Usually called an MOT: Ministry of Transport test, even though the relevant ministry hasn't been called that in decades) which covers most of the major systems (brakes, steering, suspension, emissions, structure, etc.) which are usually more stringent on "commercial" vehicles**.

*Older than 3 years I think.

**Although motorhomes have the same test as cars, finding some where with a ramp or a pit for something weighing 12 tonnes+ can be interesting.
It's the same test. When you take the CDL, the driver has to perform the brake check as part of his test so he has to memorize the steps. For an RV, the driver isn't required to remember how to do the test, but the vehicle still has to pass--hence the examiner takes the driver through the test.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
It's the same test. When you take the CDL, the driver has to perform the brake check as part of his test so he has to memorize the steps. For an RV, the driver isn't required to remember how to do the test, but the vehicle still has to pass--hence the examiner takes the driver through the test.
So it's the vehicle that gets licensed not the driver?
Old 05-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvistheKing View Post
So it's the vehicle that gets licensed not the driver?
Both are licensed. The driver has to pass the driver's test and the vehicle has to pass a yearly safety inspection--like your MOT, but less strenuous.

The vehicle has to pass the air brake test before the examiner will let the driver use it for an exam. A person trying to obtain a CDL is required to memorize the steps while an RV operator is not.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
In Texas, the driver testing for the class B exempt licenses (for RV over 26,000 lbs) doesn't have to pass the air brake test, but the vehicle does. the examiner usually guides the driver through the brake check which involves these items.

The air system has to build and maintain air pressure
The governor should cut off at 120-125 psi
The system can't loose more than 2 psi in one minute with your foot off the brake
The system can't loose more than 3 psi in one minute with your foot on the brake
The parking brake should not allow the vehicle to move
The service brake should stop the vehicle without any pulling side to side
The system should alarm when the air pressure falls below 60 psi
The spring brakes have to come on automatically when air pressure falls to 20-45 psi
You were lucky. I live south of Fort Worth and when I took my Class A Exempt license written exam in 2012, the DPS clerk stated I also needed to take the air brake written portion and the air brake test driving portion. I told them the only vehicle I will be driving doesn't have air brakes and that it is the vehicle with which I will be taking the driving portion. After a lengthy conference of DPS staff, they decided I didn't need the air brake portion after all. It took me awhile to convince them there was a Class A Exempt license. They kept wanting me to take the CDL Class A exam.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:11 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Question: I'm assuming OFF-ON-OUT and similar mean Ignition OFF-Key to ON-Parking brake knob pulled OUT....true??
Also, is "governed speed" just idle speed rpm (500-1000 RPM) or the fast idle speed rpm (1000-1500 RPM)?
And thanks, this outline is very helpful.
Yes...I'm sorry. It was my attempt to abbreviate stuff when I typed it out. I keep it in a sheet protector near the drivers seat.

On-off is key, in-out is brake switch...

Governed speed on my Freightliner just means to turn the cruise control, and push the on button. It automatically runs the engine up to a higher idle setting.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you. I'll be sheeting this up for myself. [emoji106]
Old 05-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #12

Every Country /State/Province , will have different regulations .

Here in BC Canada , the Air Brake Endorsement , for my license was 14 hours ,
cost about $400 ; and covered the first stages of a commercial license.
During the course they had us under a semi doing manual adjustments on slack adjusters and a road test driving a rig around with a 30 foot trailer . Needless to say the DW doesn't want to get the endorsement on her license.
Coach had an MOT when I imported it from the USA and hasn't been in since. ( 7 years)
Air brake endorsement is required to keep our government mandated insurance valid.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:35 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
A person trying to obtain a CDL is required to memorize the steps while an RV operator is not.

As more and more MH are hitting the roads, the possibility of obtaining more $$$ for a State via license endorsements, I can see this changing in the future. It just seems like easy $$$ that lawmakers will sniff out.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
As more and more MH are hitting the roads, the possibility of obtaining more $$$ for a State via license endorsements, I can see this changing in the future. It just seems like easy $$$ that lawmakers will sniff out.
How much do these endorsements cost?

Tags
test