Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #43

I think maybe the stargazing is a city person thing. If you live in the country, or outside the urban area, you see stars every night. Like someone else said, they haven't changed. I don't think you can go to a public campground and expect to be in complete darkness. Lots of campgrounds have a lamp on each power post, and lots have street lights throughout the campground. I think if you are a star gazer, you might want to boondock camp.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Hmmmm....they're scare lights, motion activated on and off.
Never had a complaint.
There is a lot of movement in a RV park - not necessarily bad. A motion light just seems like overkill. There are many folks that don't complain about things but that doesn't make it o.k. It still irritates them.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #45

Paying taxes is the same way......
Old 10-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I don't think you can go to a public campground and expect to be in complete darkness. Lots of campgrounds have a lamp on each power post, and lots have street lights throughout the campground.
Truly. A reasonable person expects people to light up their outdoor activities with lanterns and such and to have campfires. I think it's a gaudy display that tics most people off.

Remember those Malibu lights some people in the used to show off their suburban tract houses back in the 1970s? Rope lights and other such displays remind me of those.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #47

I find it quite interesting how diverse and divided the forums have gotten

Seems to mirror political situations with little middle ground

Many folks have no courtesy towards others and their way or no way

Seems like the solution will wind up being separate camp grounds or more boondock camps for the dark solitude seekers

Kind of sad seeing the RV community mentality following our political leaders tactics instead of supporting and chilling a bit when you adamantly disagree about a few lights

Kind of like back in school and having a fight during recess over some little thing
Old 10-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #48

Respectfully disagree. No real disparity or haters here. Folks are just expressing their opinions. It is the sites that are lit up in a fashion leaning toward a Vegas look that are hard on the eyes. I have been by a few sites where I had to shield my eyes going by. Nobody ever objected to the colored novelty lights on the awning rail that I know about. Now, the whole rv lights up. Just saying that things have gotten a lot brighter in the campgrounds. A little moderation in all things goes a long way.

We usually just use the orange outside light on the rv and low intensity battery lights that look like candles that the dw likes around the awning area. Couldn't read by them, but don't run into a lot of things or step off the edge of a patio slab in the dark either.

There was a thread on here a year or so ago from someone who wanted no lights in the desert to be able to enjoy the stars. Again, a little moderation and consideration of location goes a long way.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:58 PM   #49

Every time the subject of campground lighting comes up (probably once per quarter), the same discussion ensues. With the same polarization. Same rationale.
Would be great if folks searched for topics before creating yet another same.
It's bad enough that some posts get close to attacking the other. But to have that happen every time the subject comes up and it keeps repeating? That gets trying.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #50

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Every time the subject of campground lighting comes up (probably once per quarter), the same discussion ensues. With the same polarization. Same rationale.
It's bad enough that some posts get close to attacking the other. But to have that happen every time the subject comes up and it keeps repeating? That gets trying.
Agree. I've been on the forum long enough to notice that it's the same members that attack others for their opinions as well. Some of them seem to have a bent about it.

To me, everyone has opinions. But let's be respectful when disagreeing.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #51

Quote:
That's what people do on forums--discuss things. People enjoy it. Naturally many things are discussed over and over, that's the nature of things.

If you're waiting for something novel to come along read the thread titles and avoid those you find tiresome.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Hi Dav-

I've been on these forums for over a year and think I've seen the full "mill turn" of topics. Gas v. diesel, slides/no slides, campfires/no fires, etc.

Part of this has to do with the way the forums are set up and administered (not picking on our mods, just observing the ways things are done here): The Site prefers that newcomers are not sent off to 'search' as it can be viewed as hostile or dismissive of new members and the community rules want all members to feel free to participate (up to a point, anyway). What happens is that most folks with RV issues only want to get their problem fixed and we don't hear from them until their next problem comes up. That leaves a couple hundred folks across all the forums to be "the community".

The nature of a community is that we don't always like all our neighbors - and face it, as basically good folks as most of us are here at iRV2, there are some we'd prefer to camp further from than other folks. That's not a bad thing so long as we all remain civilized.

Our community, though, is who answers the bulk of the questions, provide a bit of levity, and mourn our members now traveling on the Rainbow Highway. Because the Community is always here, it's inevitable that redundancy of opinions, experiences and training get expressed. It's probably folly to think that our members will change any of those things when the repeated, periodic questions are asked again and again.

Good luck and safe travels to all.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
I run rope lights up under my trailer for lighting but I tuck them way up inside the frame. No direct light is seen. I like the effect and I can see anyone approaching easily and I stay in ATV parks where coolers and chairs dissappear among other things. It's a great deterrent for the thieves. Awning lights still allow them to hide behind, and on the other side to get close enough to scope out your stuff.
Being tucked up under, I don't think they are a nuisance to anyone, but they turn off easily too.
Why would you stay in parks where coolers and chairs disappear?
Old 10-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
OP here. Actually, I did do a search on this topic before I posted. And yes, there are other threads on this issue.
I started this thread because I still don't understand why some people have to light up their site like the Las Vegas strip in a scenic, State or Federal park, where presumably the focus is on enjoying the beauty of the outdoors. It ticks me off that some people are so inconsiderate and egocentric that they feel they have to impose their selfish behavior on others.
And nothing is stopping anyone from scrolling on past if they find the subject repetitive and "trying".
I wish State and Federal parks would restrict excessive lighting like they do generator use. Not much difference in my mind.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
OP here. Actually, I did do a search on this topic before I posted. And yes, there are other threads on this issue.
I started this thread because I still don't understand why some people have to light up their site like the Las Vegas strip in a scenic, State or Federal park, where presumably the focus is on enjoying the beauty of the outdoors. It ticks me off that some people are so inconsiderate and egocentric that they feel they have to impose their selfish behavior on others.
And nothing is stopping anyone from scrolling on past if they find the subject repetitive and "trying".
I wish State and Federal parks would restrict excessive lighting like they do generator use. Not much difference in my mind.
That's good you searched. But, did you get an answer to your quest?
You could have added to the existing thread you found. Just pick one, they are essentially all the same. If you needed to vent, you could have extended everyone else's vent. You could have said "I too don't like lights around campground...the nerve!" and be done.

You are presuming. I like to camp because I like to have fun with friends and family. The nature is a plus as well. But that's not the focus (for me). So, I don't mind lights that add to a festive environment. And I can shut the blinds if I am going to sack out earlier than the other partiers (not likely, but sometimes).

One challenge of this forum is that it IS a discussion forum. But what I have found is that one of the primary reasons people like this forum is because they can get help and find information here. If the forum were structured (ie: all steering issues with steering issues so more intuitive) then it would lend itself towards less repetition and easier learning and a better resource.

IMO, it just doesn't add to complain about something that has been complained to death with no resolution, and really, nothing more to add. Now, if you had a solution, then that's worthy. The only thing it really accomplishes is get people's adrenaline up that has a differing point of view.

So, that's my vent
Old 10-16-2019, 05:14 PM   #56

Well said!
Closed Thread

Tags
light, lights