Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #99

By spats over tires are you referring to tire covers? If you are you might want to investigate what UV light does to tires. I install tire covers to protect my $400 ea tires from the UV rays from the sun. If you are well off enough not to be concerned about it more power to you, most of us on fixed income do everything we can to hold our expenses under control and protecting our expensive tires from the sun is one way we do it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 04:46 PM   #100

Winnebago Owners Club
Our Winnebago Forza came with two strips of white leds running up the front of the motorhome. They are so bright that you squint to look at them at night. I asked our salesman about them, and he said "they're for people who want to show off". We've only used them when we've ordered pizza delivery. I tell the pizza place "We're the rv with the really bright lights on the front".
Old 10-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #101

Quote:
In our 80's we are reverting to a 4X4 with a slide in, to escape form the entitleds.

Fairly arrogant to assume those who don't agree with you are "entitled". I'm in my 70s and when I grew it was in an oilfield town back before the oilfield paid that much. We didn't have a lot of money or a very good house, but didn't know it. Raised two kids and neither one is "entitled". If you want to escape the type of "entitlement", you are going to have to park where there's no one else around.

BTW, I was in a HOV for 24 years, fought with them for 23.5 years, even ran a write-in to get elected one year. Won almost all the conflicts, but after a while it just isn't as fun to argue with the suckers. Part of the reason I have an RV is that I will no longer have to fight with HOV, and I'm darn sure I will not have another RVer telling me what to do.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #102

I was at a CG in central FL and a new rig (I mean a new Newmar) pulled in to the site across the "yard" that is so infrequent at usual CGs. This yard had a couple trees and at least 25-30 feet of grass and typical roughage under the trees. On the other side of my rig there was the typical 10 feet space.

Anyway, before I met them the guy had put tire covers on all the coach AND the tow dolly. Then he laid out blue rope light all around his coach to include outlining his patio area and the tow dolly. That night, talk about bright - the blue was almost white - whoa.
Didn't matter - I lowered the blinds never saw the lights until I took my dog out at 5am. Whoa.

I walked around the CG at that time and saw a lot of these displays. Oh well, helped me see where I was going in the dark.
Anyway, I met and talked to the new owners and they were very new to RVing, sold their S&B and went full time and were very cool people - lived less than 25 miles from me. Blinds are a good thing plus getting to know your neighbors is better.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:28 PM   #103

Rope lights

Supposedly the rope lights keep the Pack Rats away. But like any animals they get used to it and the only thing it bothers is us.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #104

The problem is, you have all these people out there, doing what they want to do. Some people just love their lights. We are full time and we don't have those rope lights, but we do have LEDs that make up a "V" on the front of our fifth wheel, as well as a porch light and LED lights on our side deck. We leave those on when we are going to come home late because we want to be able to see where we're going. However, if we observe that no one is using lights that way, we don't use them either. A lot of RV parks have street lights, some tall, some short. If you want to get away from the lights, try boondocking at BLM sites where there are fewer people. I have also heard (but don't recall details) that some National Parks have restrictions on lighting for the exact reasons you state.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #105

We are in Arizona as well, and we are putting lights out under our 5th wheel today.
They deter the pack rats, which can do a lot of damage to your rig.
No apologies.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:57 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by doris4445 View Post
We are in Arizona as well, and we are putting lights out under our 5th wheel today.
They deter the pack rats, which can do a lot of damage to your rig.
No apologies.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #107

[QUOTE=baraff;4997209]I agree. Do people who live in Arizona have lights strung around their homes and vehicles permanently? I've never seen that.
I think it's more a "Look at me!!" thing.[/QUOSnakes and rodents are not repelled by light. I live in the desert, and critters can be seen out, day or night, so don’t count on lights to help. I think people should enjoy themselves out camping as long as they don’t interfere with others’ enjoyment. Quiet hours, dogs under their control, etc. we use little solar “pucks” to identify steps, hitches , or other hazards, and lanterns on tables for meals or games.
However, after a trip to a NP. campground in Zion National Park, where there was a tent in a hookup site where the campers had erected two very bright electric spotlights on tripods in corners of their site, and left them on all night, I was way less accepting of their judgement than I usually am with other people’s choices. We were nine campsites away, and the lights were so bright you couldn’t look directly in that direction from our picnic table. Have also camped next to a fuel station5th wheel in a Forest Service camp where they left an actual spotlight on all night, and our rig was bright as day inside, even with shades down.
if people need that much security, they could probably be happier at their own front yards or in a nonprimitive commercial guarded campground.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #108

I understand the rope lights in campgrounds that are 'party' places. I don't get it at all in state and national parks where many are turning up to enjoy the peace and quiet and dark skies, away from the town or city. Even worse for tent campers, who have to put up with that light shining into the tent all night. At least in our RV we can draw our blackout blinds and forget about it. I think there are at least two sets of RVers. Those that want that party experience, and others that want the very opposite. It's the same as folk who have an outdoor TV. As a 'dark skies' kind of guy, the only sounds I want to hear at night are the animals and crickets (or sometimes waves...) If all you want to do is watch the game on a big screen, surrounded by rope lights - just go to a KOA or stay home!
Old 10-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #109

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow! Seriously?

Another interesting read, this time about "rope lights"?
I am sorry but some of you guys are seriously "uptight" about some low voltage rope lights. Who cares?
If you don't like my lights, don't look my way? And someone's comment that the lights mean "look at me"? I am proud of my rig, me and the hubs have worked our butts off to have it an enjoy it, and I am proud of it...
I would never purposely "annoy" a fellow camper, but geez, how about have a cocktail, chill, and look the other way?
Old 10-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
Haters: a loaded term that implies the problem lies with those who dislike untoward behavior rather than those who commit it.

When I go outside and don't want to stumble in the dark I use a flashlight.
Well said

Mike
Old 10-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #111

What I don't understand is? And this just MY thought on most subjects like this.
I really don't care if you can land 747's on your site, don't care is you have a camp fire, or do anything on your site. Its their site, they paid for it, they didn't or shouldn't ask for your help to set it up to THEIR liking. They or at least I don't ask you about the stars or your tv habits. Its camping and EVERYONE does it how they want to.
It seams now EVERYONE that does not like something,what gives them a right to tell others they are wrong. I try to live by a great Huey Lewis song, "We're not here for a long time, We're here for a good time!" I'm gonna enjoy my time here and hope you do to, BUT ain't no body gonna stop me for being crazy, weird and plain stupid. Sit back watch and have a good laugh and enjoy the time you have here.
Now remember this is my thoughts and your are entitled to your thoughts your just not entitled to tell me I'm wrong on my site or my life for that matter.
Howard
Old 10-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Topic has been discussed many times.
summary:

Some people like lights, some don't.
If you use lights, be courteous to your neighbors. Shut most of them off at sleep time.
If you don't, mind your own business.
If you like the stars, walk to a secluded spot to star gaze.
Most intelligent response I've heard yet.

Walk in a different direction if the lights hurt your eyes. This is not an issue.
Closed Thread

Tags
light, lights