Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is it with the rope lights??

The wife and I went for a walk this evening around the state park campground we're currently staying at and I can't believe the lighting on some of the rigs. It looks like a runway at O'Hare.
Several people had rope lights spread around the perimeter of their site, one so bright it hurt the eyes to walk by it. I'm not kidding, it's ridiculous.
This is Arizona, where the night sky viewing is some of the best in the world. Why do people insist upon ruining it for others?
I'm just glad we're not next to these people and I feel sorry for those that are.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 10:15 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I was told tonight it was for repelling critters
Old 10-13-2019, 10:50 PM   #3

I have the same feelings about this as well. You'd think that people camping in most state and coe parks would want to have that more wildernessy experience, but nope, some want to bring the city lights with them. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

For our lighting of the campsite, I sometimes hang our 30 year old string of 7 watt (49 watts total) incandescent owl lights under the awning tube. Just bright enough to see in front of the camper and keep us from tripping over anything. The flicker of the campfire is just right during those times I don't put them out.

I realize that we all have our differences and that there are many ways to have fun while "camping". It'd just be nice if people would think about things like this and realize their kind of fun may not be the same as others around them. It would certainly be nice if they could at least be respectful enough to check with their neighbors before going hog wild with their fun.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:54 AM   #4

A few years ago had a rental class C pull in next to me with two adults a four kids. They did the normal things like putting out awning, decorating the picnic table, etc. When it turned dark the guy puts four clamp-on work lights on his awning and turns them on. Must have been at least 100 watt bulbs as they lit up the area like a stadium. After a while I guess the guy realized he was the only one in the campground with stadium lights and turned them off. Must have been from the city.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #5

Well, they can help to keep you from tripping while outside after dark. But they seem to be more like tattoos. Look at me. Ever seen an Entegra all lit up at night? I know the Entegra owners love them, but really? Same goes for all the rv's with the built in neon lights all over them. My MIL referred to them as tacky or gaudy.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #6

Topic has been discussed many times.
summary:

Some people like lights, some don't.
If you use lights, be courteous to your neighbors. Shut most of them off at sleep time.
If you don't, mind your own business.
If you like the stars, walk to a secluded spot to star gaze.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #7

A couple of years ago we stayed in AZ and on the advice of forum members, we used bright string lights under the camper and engine compartment. It's true the lights were so bright, that neighbors complained, but the result was we had no rodent damaged. Another neighbor did get a pack rat under their hood which tore up the hood insulation and then the park maint truck had $2k wire damage from rats. None of the complaining neighbors offered help or assistance to the non light using vehicle damage. I can't confirm my lights were the rat free solution, but I would not take a chance w/o them for long term parking in AZ.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel21 View Post
I was told tonight it was for repelling critters
Allow me to throw the BS flag at whom ever told you that.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #9

If people think rope lights repel vermin they should go to the trouble of enclosing the bottom of their RV so they don't inflict light pollution on others in the campground. Hang something like those spats some people put over their tires.

Camco should see a market here; they have all manner of gizmos.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
we used bright string lights under the camper and engine compartment. It's true the lights were so bright, that neighbors complained
What if you used blocking around the RV perimeter to contain the lights from bothering the neighbors, and might even keep the critters from entering.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:31 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
A couple of years ago we stayed in AZ and on the advice of forum members, we used bright string lights under the camper and engine compartment. It's true the lights were so bright, that neighbors complained, but the result was we had no rodent damaged. Another neighbor did get a pack rat under their hood which tore up the hood insulation and then the park maint truck had $2k wire damage from rats. None of the complaining neighbors offered help or assistance to the non light using vehicle damage. I can't confirm my lights were the rat free solution, but I would not take a chance w/o them for long term parking in AZ.
Where was this? I'd like to avoid the company of rats.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
What if you used blocking around the RV perimeter to contain the lights from bothering the neighbors, and might even keep the critters from entering.

Yes, good idea. Next time I volunteer in rural AZ, I will be better prepared. I felt bad for both neighbor issues at the time.
I really didn't look for a long term solution since our travels are usually not in pack rat territory. Wherever we go there is usually some local issue (pest/weather) to be concerned about, but that's what full time RV life is about.
We also have under awning lights that rarely get used. My experience is the lit up RV's are typically weekend campers trying to use every part of the rig they have.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #13

I run rope lights up under my trailer for lighting but I tuck them way up inside the frame. No direct light is seen. I like the effect and I can see anyone approaching easily and I stay in ATV parks where coolers and chairs dissappear among other things. It's a great deterrent for the thieves. Awning lights still allow them to hide behind, and on the other side to get close enough to scope out your stuff.
Being tucked up under, I don't think they are a nuisance to anyone, but they turn off easily too.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When we started RV'ing in 2000 at our local COE campground that was common practice. Everybody tried to have the best lighting! We had a set of colored globe lights that hung under the awning, and multi-color rope lights around the perimeter of the patio area.

We stopped that long ago, but I do have multi-color LED's under the awning that I program for different patterns. At 10PM I turn them on solid white and dim them to about 50%. Not enough light to annoy anyone but provides light to hopefully deter any sticky-fingered neighbors!
Closed Thread

Tags
light, lights