Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
What Is Level?

What surface in your motor home do you consider the reference plane for leveling purposes?

The floor? A refrigerator shelf?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good question.

I've found that the little bubble that Monaco installed beside the driver's seat is useless. I use a tiny bubble level, set it on the front drawer box. When the jacks are finally down, the bubble showing things are basically level, I walk back to the kitchen, and use the same level to check the kitchen countertop beside the fridge. Sometimes I may tweak the jacks a little, but usually I decide that it's close enough.

I finally decided that if the bubble is anywhere near the center, it's close enough. Don't know if that's right or wrong. I'm told the only reason for good level is for the fridge. I'm not sure exactly how level the fridge must be. But what I've been doing has been working so far.

Jim Sanderson
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always use the floor as a reference.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:55 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I use the floor also.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
paz

While the fridge is forgiving of small discrepancies, it must be level to operate properly. I seem to remember something about using the bottom of the freezer as a reference for leveling an RV.

Obviously, it isn't practical to put a level in the freezer when it is packed with food, so when we first got our motorhome, I leveled as accurately as I could using the freezer as a reference. Then I checked several other spots that were easier to reach. Tiffin must have done a good job building our motorhome because when the freezer is level, so are the kitchen counter top and the floor.

As a bonus, when the freezer is level, so is the little shelf in the cockpit where the cup holders are located. Although our leveling jacks have lights to indicate when the motorhome is level, I have found them to be inaccurate. I carry a 6" torpedo level in the drawer below the cup holders, and I can use it to check the level of the coach right from the driver's seat. Sometimes I'll even move the motorhome around on the site to find the spot that is most level even before I extend the jacks.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:48 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I use the bath room and bed room doors. It drives me crazy when they open or close by them selves. They are at right angles to each other so I get front to back and left to right indicators. I also tend to run the drivers side down slightly to make the water run away from the wall seals of the slides. And a little low in the back to make the AC condensation run away from the front door area. As to the fridge with this method I am probably within a few degrees of perfectly level and have never had a problem.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Both Dometic and Norcold specify level as 3 degrees side-to-side and 6 degrees front-to-back for all their models made in the last 10-15 years (older models are more sensitive). That is refrigerator side and front, which is almost always the opposite of trailer side and front. It is probably wise to stick to half or less of the maximum allowable angle.

A 3 degree angle is about 0.6 in/foot, so a 30 foot long RV could be up to 18" high or low at either end. You would be really uncomfortable if you tried to walk around at that angle!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
My wife. If she does NOT feel the coach is level, there is no scientifically calibrated instrument in the world that is going to convince her otherwise!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #9

Leveling is not really difficult at all, and not really that important.

If it FEELS level while walking around in it, then it is level.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Since I have a "side entry," and the leveling controls are right there at the steps, I use a level on the floor at the top of the steps. As pointed out, as you are looking at the refrigerator, 3 degrees side to side, and 6 degrees front to back is necessary to keep from damaging the refrigerator. And, as stated, if you are comfortable walking, you are near level enough.

On my Kwikee levelers, once leveled I can push a combination of buttons and calibrate the leveling system. Then I can just push the "Auto" button.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Since I have a "side entry," and the leveling controls are right there at the steps, I use a level on the floor at the top of the steps. As pointed out, as you are looking at the refrigerator, 3 degrees side to side, and 6 degrees front to back is necessary to keep from damaging the refrigerator. And, as stated, if you are comfortable walking, you are near level enough.

On my Kwikee levelers, once leveled I can push a combination of buttons and calibrate the leveling system. Then I can just push the "Auto" button.
I use the same exact procedure. I have only had to recalibrate the levelers 2 times in 2 1/2 years.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You check level on the floor of the freezer. The bulls eye bubble should be no more than 1/2 the bubble width outside of the center ring. Otherwise as they say "you can't fool mother nature" The piper will eventually be paid !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
I use the DW, and she uses the shower & throne room doors. If those two doors don't move, she is happy. When she is happy, there is peace in the kingdom (or maybe that should be Queendom??)
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've found that what's "level" in the front and mid coach area is not level in the bedroom/bathroom at the rear. Makes sense since the rig is nearly 42 feet long. And since the bathroom and wardrobe doors were always swinging open when the bus was "level", I adjusted the calibration to have the rear level enough to avoid door movement and this tweak made no visible difference in the front. So I guess you could say this "new level" is our "new normal"
tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote