Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
What is my best technology solution?

I am not a heavy computer user when we are on a trip and in the past we used computers at public libraries to pay our bills and make some reservations. I finally sprung for a laptop and we used the library wi fi and sometimes at McDonalds. I would like to get a hot spot from an ISP so I would not have to go from my site to use a computer.

We only use a TracFone for cellular service and this works out well as there is no monthly charge and we usually only buy minutes for when we are on a trip. When at home we do not use a cell much as my philosophy is ‘if you need me I’ll call ya’ ha ha.

Does anyone else use technology in a miserly fashion like we do?

Would I be better off with a tablet that is on cell svc as well as wi fi - ie IPad on Verizon or AT & T rather than a hotspot from an ISP. Are there ‘pay as you go’ plans for a ‘hot spot’ or would I be locked into a monthly contract. I would forsee using the technology while away 3 or 4 months in the winter and maybe a few 30 day trips in the summer/fall season.

I have no idea as to how many gigabytes of data I would use. Maybe I should give up the land line at home and go w/ a late model IPhone or Android device on a monthly contract as I believe the latest ones can be made to be a hot spot.
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Before we got new I-Phones we used a Mi-Fi JetPack from Verizon. After we got the I-Phones with the HotSpot feature, we discontinued the JetPack. We can change our data package twice a month. We keep it at the minimum when we're not traveling, and increase it to 4GB while traveling.

We try to use the campground Wi-Fi where possible to save our Verizon data.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I used to use a HP laptop and waited for a Wi-Fi hot spot. That got inconvenient very fast. I recently bought an Apple IPad Air, with Verizon. It is fast, and easy to link up. Everything I needed. But everyone has different needs but this best for me.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #4

hotspot

My Ram truck came with U-connect, i it you can make the truck a hotspot.

cost is $34.99 per month. what are you folks paying for what you have???

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Everything you mentioned is going to be quit expensive compared to your current minimal usage. A wireless "hot spot" is a cellular device that uses a cell service (Verion, AT&T, etc) to get online with your data. Ditto for a cellular modem, or a tablet or smart phone that also functions as a hot spot. That means a monthly subscription fee and some minimal amount of internet data service (typically 2 GB, which is probably a lot for your needs).

The good news is that you could get a smart phone which can also be your hot spot and replace the Tracphone, but it is going to cost you every month, not just when needed for a trip.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have a smart phone? Do you have a dataplan on that phone?

Look at an application called "EasyTether". I use this extensively. You will need the pay version ($10 - find it in the play store.) The free version will not allow connections to secure sites.

How to tether Android - EasyTether. Android tethering for Mac OS X, Ubuntu, Fedora, PS3, XBox, Wii, Windows

You install the app on your phone and install the driver on your laptop. You need to plug you phone into the laptop with a USB cable.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #7

There are pay as you go air cards at Walmart and Verizon. I assume all the carriers will have them.

In your shoes I use one of them and skip the monthly obligation.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #8

Check out Free Wireless Internet | Free Internet | 4G Wireless Internet - FreedomPop as they have some inexpensive options as well that make sense for light use.

Steve
Old 03-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks needed this imfo allso
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote