Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2021, 07:37 AM   #1
Epp

What is the difference between a jake brake and an exhaust brake.

I understand the difference between an engine brake and an exhaust brake. What classification does the Jake brake fall into?

On my 2001 Newmar DSDP, spartan chassis Cummins ISC, I have a Jacobs manufactured exhaust brake, downstream of the turbo. Is the Jacobs manufactured exhaust brake a Jake brake, or are the names just coincidentally similar?

The reason this question arose is that under my dash I have three connections for an exhaust brake set up. One connector is labeled “two stage exhaust brake”, second connectors labeled “exhaust brake”, third connector is labeled “Jake brake”. When we purchased this rig, the connector marked exhaust brake is the one that is connected to the switch the other two are unused.

When I looked at my exhaust brake, I noticed it was hey Jacobs brand exhaust brake.

Thanks
Epp
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2021, 07:42 AM   #2

Trick question.

Jacobs corp makes both exhaust brakes and engine compression brakes.

But, they are well more known for their engine compression brakes and that is what most call to mind when a Jake brake is mentioned.

No possibility of an engine compression brake on an ISC (8.3 liter). The smallest Cummins with an engine compression brake is the ISL (8.9 liter).

Exhaust brakes are either ON or OFF.

Engine compression brakes can be up to 3 stages, 2 more common on RV applications. Basically, how many cylinders are doing the braking.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:45 AM   #3

Exhaust brakes plug the exhaust gas from getting out the manifold. That stops the engine from pumping air.

Engine brake lets the pistons work to compress air, then open the exhaust valve let it out, before it can push the piston back down.

The High/Low, 1,2,3 switch selects How many cylinders are controlled.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
Epp

Great, I appreciate the clarification.
I’m assuming Spartan just put the wiring in there To accommodate just about anything.

I assume that the Jake brake, and the two stage brake is also controlled through the engine specific ECM and TCM.

Thanks
Epp
Old 06-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #5

Then explain the transmission brake....2000 discovery 5.9 isb w/ Allison 3060
SherryeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryeDan View Post

Allison transmission brakes are available on Allison 3000 and 4000 series transmissions. The model number would end in "R".

VERY effective at braking-- turn momentum into heat in the transmission, so more complex transmission cooling systems are required.

They are found on some high-end coaches. Foretravel, for example has had them on most models starting in 1994. Their newest coaches-- I am not sure.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

A transmission "brake" is technically known as a "retarder" and Allison uses that name (thus the "R" after the tranny model number if so equipped).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryeDan View Post
Alison Retarder Info
http://www.svfd.net/SVFD%20Files/Art...very%20costly.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:21 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
A transmission "brake" is technically known as a "retarder" and Allison uses that name (thus the "R" after the tranny model number if so equipped).
Gary there are also retarders on the back end of a transmission not a part of the tranny. They are electric and called a retarder also. A generator type retarder with big windings that use magnetic fields to create resistance. Dynamic Braking!
These are very common on big mobile cranes.

The retarder on the Allison transmission is hydraulic and uses transmission oil. They create a lot of heat which in turn makes tranny oil changes a must at regular intervals.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:10 PM   #10
NXR

Funny story. A local township put up signs banning the use of "Jake Brakes" within township limits due to the noise. Jacobs sent them a cease and desist letter because they singled out a specific product and used their trademark to do it.

Turns out the township officials thought "Jake brake" was a generic term. They argued about the expense of changing their signs until their attorney explained the cost of defending against a trademark violation. New signs went up but they still have Jake Brake listed as a fine violation of $295

See the last item: https://www.richfieldvillageohio.org...r-Mayors-Court

I'd bet someone getting cited for using an engine brake that was not an actual Jake Brake could argue that one.

Ray
Old 06-27-2021, 04:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post

The retarder on the Allison transmission is hydraulic and uses transmission oil. They create a lot of heat which in turn makes tranny oil changes a must at regular intervals.

Correct, hence the more complex/effective cooling systems for transmissions with retarders. Generally reasonably large ATF to coolant coolers.

The good news, when on the retarder, the throttle is CLOSED, so the engine is generating little to no heat. Higher engine RPM circulates coolant and keeps the transmission temperature within a reasonable range.

This is particularly true with the more "heat tolerant" Transynd TES 295 and even more so for the Transynd TES 668.

SO, if you have an Allison transmission retarder (likely 90+% of transmission retarders) and on a long steep downgrade, keep the engine near the higher end of its RPM range. Same as you would for an engine compression brake or engine exhaust brake.

Tags
brake, exhaust